ADVERTISEMENT

Joseph Anderson is a Freak Athlete

Exactly this. When they have true studs at DE the defense goes from really good to elite. DE production is probably my biggest concern heading into this year.

I don’t know, they’ve been stacking athletes on the defensive line for sometime, and we still haven’t seen our best yet out of Black, Craig, or Graves and they are already studs.

Not to mention, Brian Allen, Max, Llewellyn and Ethan Hurkett have all created plenty of buzz and made some big plays

I don’t know, they’ve been stacking athletes on the defensive line for sometime, and we still haven’t seen our best yet out of Black, Craig, or Graves and they are already studs.

Not to mention, Brian Allen, Max, Llewellyn and Ethan Hurkett have all created plenty of buzz and made some big plays
I was expecting more from Craig and Llewellyn last. Maybe they’ll take it up a couple notches this year. Llewelyn has great burst and a motor, thought he deserved more snaps.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki

AJ and Hercules for sure but we cannot have enough tall, fast and athletic DE’s.

I mean he started as a linebacker...

Clark? I don’t recall that. Are you thinking of Raj Clark. I don’t believe Dallas was played much at LB thus switching to TE.

Dallas Clark joined the Iowa football team as a walk-on linebacker. He completed his Hawkeye career as an All-American tight end

Impressive. But why put him at d-end where he’ll leave for the pros after two seasons. Put him on offense as a Wide Blocker where he can enjoy Iowa City and pancake DBs for four years.

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
Why? With Craig, Hurkett, Allen Jr, and Llwelyan we should be as good as anyone in the league at DE...
A lot of potential there but I don’t see any alpha’s there. I.e, Clayborn’s, LVN’s, Epenesa’s… I see a lot of really good complimentary pass rushers though. Hopefully that’s offset by having to 2 stud DT’s that can force alot of action to the edges.

Curious what weight the Coaches are.going to want him to be if he stays as a DE.
I'm guessing Two Fitty

season 1 episode 20 GIF by mom

A lot of potential there but I don’t see any alpha’s there. I.e, Clayborn’s, LVN’s, Epenesa’s… I see a lot of really good complimentary pass rushers though. Hopefully that’s offset by having to 2 stud DT’s that can force alot of action to the edges.
Craig and Hurkett were VERY solid last year. There's been quite a bit of buzz about both Llwelyn and Allen who looks like a star on the rise to me.....

Reactions: cmhawks99
Craig and Hurkett were VERY solid last year. There's been quite a bit of buzz about both Llwelyn and Allen who looks like a star on the rise to me.....
Very solid is an over statement imo. Hurkett didn’t have a single sack. Craig took a step back as well. Both have an opportunity to step up but I’m looking more for Allen and Llewelyn to take bigger leaps.

Very solid is an over statement imo. Hurkett didn’t have a single sack. Craig took a step back as well. Both have an opportunity to step up but I’m looking more for Allen and Llewelyn to take bigger leaps.
171 ... that's the number of tackles Higgins had last year. He doesn't do that if those guys aren't doing their jobs.

You're right that we weren't getting quite as much pressure on the QB as is ideal. However, part of that is also attributable to the fact that our front-7 had some significant losses from the prior season ... and it can be a transition to get the pieces to fit together right the subsequent season. At the very base-level, guys are expected to do their jobs and do them consistently. The guys did just that! Now they have to take the next step since there is so much personnel continuity going from last season to this season.

Hurkett may not have had a sack ... but he went from seeing far fewer snaps and getting 15 tackles ... to being our top back-up DE and having 52 tackles and 6 TFLs (along with 1 INT).

I wouldn't say that Craig took a step back. It's just a different challenge when the OL is preparing for you ... rather than having them worry more about a guy like Van Ness. It was Craig's first year as a true starter at DE. He was the top backup the before ... and acquitted himself quite well.

If you look at Adrian Clayborn, he showed some really nice flash in '07 as a top backup at DE. Then, in '08, it was his first year starting ... and he was really a really strong contributor (and consistent) ... but the "flashy" numbers just weren't there that season. However, in '09 ... that's when things really seemed to "pop" and "click."

I frankly think that the absence of Noah Shannon on the interior was felt more (last season) than folks recognize. Without a productive veteran like Shannon to force extra double-teams ... that made it so that more attention could get paid to the DEs.

Anyhow, given that we "lost" so many quality guys from the '22 squad ... Waggoner, Van Ness, Shannon (due to the gambling thang), Benson, Jacobs, and Campbell ... that's a lot of experience and fire-power that we didn't have returning. What's more ... that's a lot of experience and fire-power that didn't return ... many of whom still had eligibility.

Some comps are obviously Clayborn, Ballard and maybe even Babs but none of the aforementioned had that type of track career to my knowledge, a good problem to have! I did think Ballard ran track, no? Will be fun to watch him develop, will be a beast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT