ADVERTISEMENT

Joseph Anderson is a Freak Athlete

171 ... that's the number of tackles Higgins had last year. He doesn't do that if those guys aren't doing their jobs.

You're right that we weren't getting quite as much pressure on the QB as is ideal. However, part of that is also attributable to the fact that our front-7 had some significant losses from the prior season ... and it can be a transition to get the pieces to fit together right the subsequent season. At the very base-level, guys are expected to do their jobs and do them consistently. The guys did just that! Now they have to take the next step since there is so much personnel continuity going from last season to this season.

Hurkett may not have had a sack ... but he went from seeing far fewer snaps and getting 15 tackles ... to being our top back-up DE and having 52 tackles and 6 TFLs (along with 1 INT).

I wouldn't say that Craig took a step back. It's just a different challenge when the OL is preparing for you ... rather than having them worry more about a guy like Van Ness. It was Craig's first year as a true starter at DE. He was the top backup the before ... and acquitted himself quite well.

If you look at Adrian Clayborn, he showed some really nice flash in '07 as a top backup at DE. Then, in '08, it was his first year starting ... and he was really a really strong contributor (and consistent) ... but the "flashy" numbers just weren't there that season. However, in '09 ... that's when things really seemed to "pop" and "click."

I frankly think that the absence of Noah Shannon on the interior was felt more (last season) than folks recognize. Without a productive veteran like Shannon to force extra double-teams ... that made it so that more attention could get paid to the DEs.

Anyhow, given that we "lost" so many quality guys from the '22 squad ... Waggoner, Van Ness, Shannon (due to the gambling thang), Benson, Jacobs, and Campbell ... that's a lot of experience and fire-power that we didn't have returning. What's more ... that's a lot of experience and fire-power that didn't return ... many of whom still had eligibility.
That’s kind of my point you point to losing the studs is a reason for their drop in production but at some point they have to become the studs. The defense performed great obviously as a unit but they missed not having an elite pass rushing group this a big drop in sacks and INT’s. I have always viewed it was the DT’s jobs keep the LB’s clean and the DE’s job to contain and get to the QB. They did well containing but not well at getting to the QB.

That’s kind of my point you point to losing the studs is a reason for their drop in production but at some point they have to become the studs. The defense performed great obviously as a unit but they missed not having an elite pass rushing group this a big drop in sacks and INT’s. I have always viewed it was the DT’s jobs keep the LB’s clean and the DE’s job to contain and get to the QB. They did well containing but not well at getting to the QB.
Craig did have 54 tackles, 3 sacks, and 7 qbhs. The QB hurries are an underrated stat ... they often still lead to a empty possession for the O (just not a loss of yards). That can still help keep the opposing O behind the chains.

But yeah ... the prior year he had 31 tackles, 10 TFLs, and 6.5 sacks. It can be a transition going from being a top back-up to being "the guy."

Furthermore, the MIKE LB still plays a huge role in making sure that the DL is set up right given what they're seeing from the O. For as productive as Higgins was ... there still was a transition from having a Butkus winner like Campbell to a first-time starter at MIKE in Jay.

I look for Craig to have his best year yet in '24 (knock on wood - as it concerns his health).

Some comps are obviously Clayborn, Ballard and maybe even Babs but none of the aforementioned had that type of track career to my knowledge, a good problem to have! I did think Ballard ran track, no? Will be fun to watch him develop, will be a beast.
He's long and tall ... of the guys you listed, Ballard is the closest to fitting that comp. I'd say that guys like Van Ness, Golston, and AJ Epenesa are the best recent comps personnel-wise (in terms of frame and explosiveness).

171 ... that's the number of tackles Higgins had last year. He doesn't do that if those guys aren't doing their jobs.

You're right that we weren't getting quite as much pressure on the QB as is ideal. However, part of that is also attributable to the fact that our front-7 had some significant losses from the prior season ... and it can be a transition to get the pieces to fit together right the subsequent season. At the very base-level, guys are expected to do their jobs and do them consistently. The guys did just that! Now they have to take the next step since there is so much personnel continuity going from last season to this season.

Hurkett may not have had a sack ... but he went from seeing far fewer snaps and getting 15 tackles ... to being our top back-up DE and having 52 tackles and 6 TFLs (along with 1 INT).

I wouldn't say that Craig took a step back. It's just a different challenge when the OL is preparing for you ... rather than having them worry more about a guy like Van Ness. It was Craig's first year as a true starter at DE. He was the top backup the before ... and acquitted himself quite well.

If you look at Adrian Clayborn, he showed some really nice flash in '07 as a top backup at DE. Then, in '08, it was his first year starting ... and he was really a really strong contributor (and consistent) ... but the "flashy" numbers just weren't there that season. However, in '09 ... that's when things really seemed to "pop" and "click."

I frankly think that the absence of Noah Shannon on the interior was felt more (last season) than folks recognize. Without a productive veteran like Shannon to force extra double-teams ... that made it so that more attention could get paid to the DEs.

Anyhow, given that we "lost" so many quality guys from the '22 squad ... Waggoner, Van Ness, Shannon (due to the gambling thang), Benson, Jacobs, and Campbell ... that's a lot of experience and fire-power that we didn't have returning. What's more ... that's a lot of experience and fire-power that didn't return ... many of whom still had eligibility.
Well said Ghost. Just from memory I thought Hurkett in particular was very solid last year. I think a foursome of Craig, Hurkett, Llwellyn and Allen at DE will be one of the leagues best this season. Some REALLY nice new blood in this years freshman class at DE as well....

Some comps are obviously Clayborn, Ballard and maybe even Babs but none of the aforementioned had that type of track career to my knowledge, a good problem to have! I did think Ballard ran track, no? Will be fun to watch him develop, will be a beast.
Yes Ballard ran track and played basketball in Lawrence Ks, and was recruited as a TE by most schools...

Reactions: pink shizzle
A lot of potential there but I don’t see any alpha’s there. I.e, Clayborn’s, LVN’s, Epenesa’s… I see a lot of really good complimentary pass rushers though. Hopefully that’s offset by having to 2 stud DT’s that can force alot of action to the edges.

Honestly, who has ever had a better season than Joe Evans did? We get too caught up on “names”…

Reactions: kceasthawk
Very solid is an over statement imo. Hurkett didn’t have a single sack. Craig took a step back as well. Both have an opportunity to step up but I’m looking more for Allen and Llewelyn to take bigger leaps.

Not to disagree, but 2 guys who played mucho snaps on a top 5 defense couldn’t be anything but really solid 🤷‍♂️

Not to disagree, but 2 guys who played mucho snaps on a top 5 defense couldn’t be anything but really solid 🤷‍♂️
I’m just saying if there’s an area of concern on the defense it’s at the DE position. Both Hurkett and Craig need to get to the qb more for this defense to be elite. Or someone else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT