ADVERTISEMENT

Josey the Jewell

Wait I thought we were supposed to be pissed that Iowa stole candy from the UNI candy jar? Or should we call KF a "Jewell" thief... :cool:

Josie was a stud in HS and has developed more in 1 year than I can recall most anyone doing.

Wait I thought we were supposed to be pissed that Iowa stole candy from the UNI candy jar? Or should we call KF a "Jewell" thief... :cool:

Josie was a stud in HS and has developed more in 1 year than I can recall most anyone doing.

No doubt about his development in one year. Stunning. And it looks like they gave him a mix tape of Sanders to watch for motivation as he has been laying the wood, uh huh huh, on people this year.

J
No doubt about his development in one year. Stunning. And it looks like they gave him a mix tape of Sanders to watch for motivation as he has been laying the wood, uh huh huh, on people this year.
Josey has always "laid the wood". Anyone who watched him play in high school will attest to that. The best player on the field on a team that dominated 3A his senior year. Relentless. Needed time to adjust to the college game. He's there. Enjoy.

I thought Alston was going to be a stud last year but Jewell has been an upgrade in the middle this year.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Josey has certainly been playing good ball. However, what we're seeing is more a product of playing tough, swarming team ball.

Kudos to Josey and the rest of the D for doing their respective jobs!

Accolades are deserved for each guy doing his job. That is what is making this D so tough.

100% agree about JJ and the entire linebacker corp. What a pleasant surprise. The future looks bright on defense with or without King.

Alston was uh, ummm, not very good, so an upgrade wasn't going to take a whole hell of a lot.
It's not cool to talk crap about a Hawkeye who busted his tail for our beloved program. It's called being disrespectful. Alston was recognized as being 2nd team all-Big 10. He was also a crucial figure who helped to mentor almost all the current LBs who are now starters. He deserves our thanks, not a slap in the face.

I am sure the same people that were saying Jewell and our LB sucked were the same people who were saying that Morris, Hitchens and Kirksey sucked. I remember, Quote, "Morris is slow and can't get off his blocks". Barring injury, we should be set at LB for the next couple years.

Jewell's 2014 was ruined by a broken hand in August camp. He was really coming on late in the year, and has been outstanding this year.

I wonder how things would be different with the entire program if he doesn't break his hand.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
Exciting to think what kind of players that Jewell and Niemann will be beyond this year if they are already performing at the level they are. Iowa has some good young players either starting or seeing time this year,
These are all sophomores and freshman who have seen the field this year on defense.

Bazata So.
Jewell So.
Niemann So.
Taylor So.
Bower So.
M. Nelson Rs Fr.
Hesse Rs Fr.
Jackson Rs Fr.
Snyder Rs Fr.
Mends Rs Fr.
Hockaday Fr.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Exciting to think what kind of players that Jewell and Niemann will be beyond this year if they are already performing at the level they are. Iowa has some good young players either starting or seeing time this year,
These are all sophomores and freshman who have seen the field this year on defense.

Bazata So.
Jewell So.
Niemann So.
Taylor So.
Bower So.
M. Nelson Rs Fr.
Hesse Rs Fr.
Jackson Rs Fr.
Snyder Rs Fr.
Mends Rs Fr.
Hockaday Fr.
Then if we get the DB back that left to go to ICCC.....we should be salty on D. Need a young DL to develop to replace Jaleel Johnson after next season

Then if we get the DB back that left to go to ICCC.....we should be salty on D. Need a young DL to develop to replace Jaleel Johnson after next season

Yeah I saw that too, that Embry may come back to the Hawks. he looked pretty talented out of high school so it would be great if that happened.

Need a young DL to develop to replace Jaleel Johnson after next season
Parker sad today that true freshman Michael Slater is looking like the 5th DT right now. Since we have 2 JR's and a Soph at DT right now.

I also watched Matt Nelson at DE this weekend and he showed some motor and explosiveness that I hadn't seen from him before. Very encouraging when the light goes on.

Parker sad today that true freshman Michael Slater is looking like the 5th DT right now. Since we have 2 JR's and a Soph at DT right now.

I also watched Matt Nelson at DE this weekend and he showed some motor and explosiveness that I hadn't seen from him before. Very encouraging when the light goes on.

At his size, can you imagine if that guy gets a motor and attitude like a roth or a diesel? Scary.

They never are....bitchers gonna bitch....unfortunately, they think we want to hear about it....CONSTANTLY

Agree, and these are the same people that carried on about how Jewell was a 'fallback' recruit and a prime example of our horrible recruiting. I really don't know how a lot of these folks (sloehawk included) still show up here. Have they no shame?

100% agree about JJ and the entire linebacker corp. What a pleasant surprise. The future looks bright on defense with or without King.

I'm not surprised. I talked in great detail in the spring about what the difficulties were that we had at LB last year and projected this improvement in great detail. I could have been wrong, but I'm glad I wasn't :cool:.The one thing I didn't predict was Fisher coming on, so that is a big surprise to me!

Reactions: MitchL
I am sure the same people that were saying Jewell and our LB sucked were the same people who were saying that Morris, Hitchens and Kirksey sucked. I remember, Quote, "Morris is slow and can't get off his blocks". Barring injury, we should be set at LB for the next couple years.
I was one who wasn't convinced they would be this good. Really glad to be so wrong and I just admire the apparent meshing of the young guys.
But I NEVER said anyone sucked. You don't earn a Division 1 scholly by sucking.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotthawk1964
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT