ADVERTISEMENT

JR Koch's opinion on whether teams like IOWA and Indiana should play in the NIT

We have plenty of guys who can shoot wide open 3's. The problem is they're all slow and can't get "wide open". Just sayin... We need guys who can rip and drive through traffic with strength. No team in BT is afraid of any Iowa player driving it hard from the perimeter. It just doesn't happen because no one is strong enough nor aggressive enough.
Next class has an athletic slasher with size and an elite shooter with length. What is not to like? Dix gets into traffic and delivers pretty damn well, over 50% from 2 I think. I expect a much better flow to the offense, along with better defense and rebounding with Patrick and Krikke gone. I hope Tony decides to come back and finish his college career on an up note. It would be a bonus if Mulvey can actually provide some minutes backing up Owen, so Dembele can get more minutes on the court with Owen.

Oklahoma, which went 20-12, also declined an invite to the NIT. In a statement, coach Porter Moser said he felt the Sooners' resume and metrics were worthy of being in the field and noted that the choice not to continue their season was done with the "well-being of our student-athletes as the top priority."

This season went about as well as expected. Especially when two forwards are allergic to rebounding and defense. Iowa came within an eyelash of making the big dance with a team that sucked on defense, rebounding , and 3 point shooting.
They're a #3 seed in the NIT. That is one long frickin' eyelash....

Oklahoma, which went 20-12, also declined an invite to the NIT. In a statement, coach Porter Moser said he felt the Sooners' resume and metrics were worthy of being in the field and noted that the choice not to continue their season was done with the "well-being of our student-athletes as the top priority."
WTF does that even mean? JFC. If you're going to release a statement, just come out and say "We're bitter, and as part of our whiny protest, we're pretending that we're too good for the NIT."

Reactions: Franisdaman
Next class has an athletic slasher with size and an elite shooter with length. What is not to like? Dix gets into traffic and delivers pretty damn well, over 50% from 2 I think. I expect a much better flow to the offense, along with better defense and rebounding with Patrick and Krikke gone. I hope Tony decides to come back and finish his college career on an up note. It would be a bonus if Mulvey can actually provide some minutes backing up Owen, so Dembele can get more minutes on the court with Owen.
Don't we think we're going to have better defense every year?

What not to like is the coach and his lack of defense.

I sure didn't think the defense would be better after last year, when Kris, Rebraca and Connor left, leaving zip to guard the basket.

Next year, we have some guys returning who play good defense. Dix plays defense better than he plays offense, which is pretty good. Dembele is going to be one of the better interior defenders (and rebounder) Fran has recruited. Freeman is a decent defender, although he need to learn to stop reaching, which gets him in foul trouble. If he returns, Tony make defensive plays, although he needs to be more consistent. Bowen seemed to play good defense, until he found a permanent place on the bench. Even Harding plays decent defense. I'll give you that Payton is not a good defender. It is like no one ever taught him how to get into a defensive position. The guys leaving after this year are by far our worst defenders, unlike last year.

Someone mentioned, here or another thread, that Iowa 3 pt shooting is bad. I always thought we were decent if not good. However I checked and we are really good! Only 138 teams above us! (wink wink)

Reactions: Franisdaman
WTF does that even mean? JFC. If you're going to release a statement, just come out and say "We're bitter, and as part of our whiny protest, we're pretending that we're too good for the NIT."
It means the coach is pissed off, burned out & his wife booked a vacation home in Hawaii for two weeks for the end of March.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkirugged17
Iowa is slow, short. doesn't play defense and can't rebound....but at least they can't shoot.
I think it really hurt this year not having a stretch 4 or stretch 5 like Garza or the Murray bros. Having both Freeman and Krikke out there a lot with neither being a 3 point threat, teams could really run Payton and Dix off the 3 point line and with Perk not being a great outside shooter either it turned out to be one of Iowa's worst years from 3. I think next year depending on how Ladji develops his offensive game and if Brock can find his shooting form from high school they could be a lot better from 3.

Aren't these players refusing to play still on scholarship? If so, pull their scholarship. They owe it to their school, teammates, coaches, and their fans who ultimately pick up the tab.

what you are seeing with teams turning down NIT invites is wh
I think it's tacky and smacks of "I'm going to take my ball home if I can't play" when teams turn down the NIT.
Get used to it. It's going to happen in college football too. You think OSU, Alabama and the like are going to opt for some meaningless bowl game should they not make the playoffs? Post season football for non-playoff teams as far as fan interest, attendance, relevance, etc. is finished. You will have historically bad programs like ISU get excited about going to Shrieveport but that's about it. Bowls will be a thing of the past in the not so distant future. Players don't give a shit about their schools anymore. All about the money. ISU is having a great season. 1/2 their players would leave in a heartbeat for more money. ISU will have to pony up to keep'em. Sad but true.

I never really understood the viewpoint that a team should turn down any postseason invite.
I agree. the more games the better. Opportunites to learn from live game action. You can't get that from practice. And we wouldn't get to hear more belly aching from Curtis on how the team sucks.

Players don't give a shit about their schools anymore. All about the money.

LOLOLOLOL THIS SHIT. Coaches haven't given a shit about their schools for decades. It has solely been about the money. You all are fine with coaches making millions, but the players getting a little bit sends you raging into the night. Hypocrities.

LOLOLOLOL THIS SHIT. Coaches haven't given a shit about their schools for decades. It has solely been about the money. You all are fine with coaches making millions, but the players getting a little bit sends you raging into the night. Hypocrities.
I am not fine with the millions paid Coaches. Coaches are overpaid. Now the players are. Neither give a shit about their schools. No hypocrisy here.

Reactions: DewHawk
what you are seeing with teams turning down NIT invites is wh

Get used to it. It's going to happen in college football too. You think OSU, Alabama and the like are going to opt for some meaningless bowl game should they not make the playoffs? Post season football for non-playoff teams as far as fan interest, attendance, relevance, etc. is finished. You will have historically bad programs like ISU get excited about going to Shrieveport but that's about it. Bowls will be a thing of the past in the not so distant future. Players don't give a shit about their schools anymore. All about the money. ISU is having a great season. 1/2 their players would leave in a heartbeat for more money. ISU will have to pony up to keep'em. Sad but true.
If football teams opt out of bowls, they forfeit the ability to practice in December. That's 4 weeks to develop players. Ask Nebby how that's working for them....

If football teams opt out of bowls, they forfeit the ability to practice in December. That's 4 weeks to develop players. Ask Nebby how that's working for them....

I am betting that changes in the not so distant future (the ability to practice for teams not in bowl games)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT