ADVERTISEMENT

Judge: Iowa hospice program told worker to ‘let people die’

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
An Iowa judge has awarded jobless benefits to a hospice worker who allegedly quit after being told to let patients die rather than provide them with services.
State records indicate that in October 2023, social worker Alisha Ebert of Janesville began working for a Cedar Falls hospice program run by Compassus, a national company with facilities in four Iowa cities.

In December, Ebert resigned and subsequently applied for unemployment benefits. A hearing on the request was held on Feb. 15, with Ebert and her husband providing testimony. Compassus did not participate in the hearing.

Administrative Law Judge Daniel Zeno presided over the hearing and according to his factual findings, Ebert’s managers had “told her to make certain patients a lower priority in the hopes that the patients would die before Ms. Ebert was able to provide service to the patients.” As a result of that alleged directive, Ebert concluded that her morals and those of her employer were not in alignment, Zeno found.

Ebert continued to work for the company, but allegedly struggled in the job because of the high caseload and the amount of driving required for the job, Zeno found, noting that there was testimony that Ebert had almost twice the caseload as other social workers. When the situation at Compassus didn’t improve, Ebert resigned, giving the company one week’s notice.
Based on the testimony provided at the hearing, Zeno concluded Ebert was entitled to unemployment benefits, ruling that her working conditions were intolerable.
“It is reasonable to the average person that Ms. Ebert should not have to work in an environment where her manager at a job providing care for people in hospice would tell Ms. Ebert to essentially let people die instead of providing them with care,” Zeno stated in his ruling. “Ms. Ebert’s job ended when she quit because of her working conditions, and Ms. Ebert has established that her working conditions were intolerable and detrimental.”

Calls to Compassus’ Cedar Falls office and to the company’s corporate office in Tennessee were not returned on Monday.

Compassus. Sounds like a marketing company's made up name to show how much their client cares.

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
Well...isn't the purpose of hospice to provide end of life care and limit suffering? I guess I need a definition of what "not providing services" means. If it means that they won't provide medications or surgical procedures that could extend life, well that's not what it's for. If it means not providing morphine for a late stage cancer patient, well that's a problem.

Kind of a conundrum, given that hospice care actually generally only provides palliative care and not anything that is in the realm of "treatment". Indeed, I feel for the hospice here a bit, inasmuch as some hospices have been accused of fraud because their patients actually don't die fast enough.

Only in America, do we spend $50k a day to keep a plant alive so it can shit in its pants and murmur. I suppose there is always hope! One of these vegetables could wake up and become president!!

Yes

But providing care UNTIL someone passes, not withholding care to speed the process up...
Ok, but what does that mean? I mean, I assume that means you would still provide antibiotics for an infection but you wouldn't do bypass surgery for a heart attack, right?

Ok, but what does that mean? I mean, I assume that means you would still provide antibiotics for an infection but you wouldn't do bypass surgery for a heart attack, right?
You aren't providing care to treat the condition.

You're providing care to comfort and ease discomfort while someone is dying.
Not giving someone water would be in-line with what the person here is claiming.

But most hospice patients would not get antibiotics for an infection. If a hospice patient got a pneumonia they likely would not receive antibiotics.

We often get hospice patients in the ambulance. Those patients have iPost forms that explicitly state, do not provide care. Or words to that effect. Hospice sends them anyway.

Reactions: BioHawk
Yes

But providing care UNTIL someone passes, not withholding care to speed the process up...
That is exactly what hospice does. Withholds care to speed the dying process up. Of a patient with terminal cancer has a heart attack do you think they will treat the heart attack or sedate the crap out of them with morphine until they die? They sedate them. If a person wants treatment for the heart attack they leave hospice.

That is exactly what hospice does. Withholds care to speed the dying process up. Of a patient with terminal cancer has a heart attack do you think they will treat the heart attack or sedate the crap out of them with morphine until they die? They sedate them. If a person wants treatment for the heart attack they leave hospice.
This isn't what the person referred to, so far as I can tell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT