ADVERTISEMENT

Julian Assange

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I know most of you won't care but Democracy Now has featured extended interviews with Julian Assange yesterday and today.

He's an interesting guy who always impresses me, both with sensible views and with his calm-under-fire demeanor.

Worth watching. He touches on a lot of interesting issues.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
In the segment on ICWatch, Assange talks about a US drone assassination program called JPEL and how ICWatch had reported on public info (from Linkedin and such) where drone operators posted CVs that included bragging about their kills, among other things. Then later they got talking about Guantanamo and Assange raises some interesting questions....

AMY GOODMAN: So perhaps if you have job openings, you might be concerned that someone actually who’s applying for a job might actually be a spy.

JULIAN ASSANGE: Well, I think that there’s a real question. If you look at some of these CVs, OK, for some people, they were involved in assassinating people, interrogating people, and then they’ve moved on. And where have they moved on? So they’ve moved into police. They’ve moved into careers advice at universities.

So, you could be, you know, faced with a police interrogation, and that interrogator is someone who tortured people in Guantánamo Bay.

I think there’s a real question about what the effect is on U.S. society, when you have all these people who have become used to torturing and killing people coming back and integrating back into society. And as far as I’m aware, no program to help them reintegrate and help them mobilize as they come back in.

There’s a lot of debate about whether Guantánamo detainees could be brought to New York to be tried. Are they too dangerous after the way that they’ve been treated in Guantánamo Bay? Or they’re an irritation to the United States. Are they too dangerous to have on U.S. soil?

But I think the same question needs to be asked: Are Guantánamo Bay interrogators, are black site interrogators, are people involved in assassination programs too dangerous to be brought back in and enter into the police force or enter into university administrations or enter into the DOJ?

In the segment on ICWatch, Assange talks about a US drone assassination program called JPEL and how ICWatch had reported on public info (from Linkedin and such) where drone operators posted CVs that included bragging about their kills, among other things. Then later they got talking about Guantanamo and Assange raises some interesting questions....

AMY GOODMAN: So perhaps if you have job openings, you might be concerned that someone actually who’s applying for a job might actually be a spy.

JULIAN ASSANGE: Well, I think that there’s a real question. If you look at some of these CVs, OK, for some people, they were involved in assassinating people, interrogating people, and then they’ve moved on. And where have they moved on? So they’ve moved into police. They’ve moved into careers advice at universities.

So, you could be, you know, faced with a police interrogation, and that interrogator is someone who tortured people in Guantánamo Bay.

I think there’s a real question about what the effect is on U.S. society, when you have all these people who have become used to torturing and killing people coming back and integrating back into society. And as far as I’m aware, no program to help them reintegrate and help them mobilize as they come back in.

There’s a lot of debate about whether Guantánamo detainees could be brought to New York to be tried. Are they too dangerous after the way that they’ve been treated in Guantánamo Bay? Or they’re an irritation to the United States. Are they too dangerous to have on U.S. soil?

But I think the same question needs to be asked: Are Guantánamo Bay interrogators, are black site interrogators, are people involved in assassination programs too dangerous to be brought back in and enter into the police force or enter into university administrations or enter into the DOJ?

thanks for highlighting this. assange is a fascinating charachter.

thanks for highlighting this. assange is a fascinating charachter.
It's a shame that so many Americans have already been told what to think about him. He discusses many important issues with intelligence and facts.

His account of how the US forced down Bolivian president Maduro's plane was pretty interesting. Just one of quite a few topics he shed light on in these interviews.

Reactions: DrVenkman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT