ADVERTISEMENT

K Martin quote says it all

General Tso

HB Legend
Nov 20, 2004
SIAP, but clearly the 4th was not like the other quarters on multiple levels.

"We got away from Iowa basketball in the fourth quarter,” Martin said after the Hawkeyes saw their 71-57 lead slip away. “I think we’ve been playing to not lose instead of playing to win. It’s really important down the stretch, playing to win. We can’t just take the ball out, get comfortable. I think we’ve been doing that in certain situations.”

Did she mention they were trying to have cc scoring record broke at Iowa? Cause that's what the plan was. Here's what I think happen. Caitlin had 31 at the end of 3 qts and they were up pretty good. So the plan was to coast with cc not scoring the rest of the way thinking others could keep the lead. Well they couldn't and by the time they realized it nebby was right back in the game and hit some big shots and ended up winning. Believe it or not that's what happened imo

Did she mention they were trying to have cc scoring record broke at Iowa? Cause that's what the plan was. Here's what I think happen. Caitlin had 31 at the end of 3 qts and they were up pretty good. So the plan was to coast with cc not scoring the rest of the way thinking others could keep the lead. Well they couldn't and by the time they realized it nebby was right back in the game and hit some big shots and ended up winning. Believe it or not that's what happened imo
THIS X 1000!!! We (and the players and coaches) know EXACTLY what happened. The pressure was on to have Caitlin break the record at home. I mean come on, Caitlin has 31 going into the 4th quarter and goes scoreless in the 4th. LOL!! They were hoping that the rest of the team would get across the finish line and it disrupted the final quarter. And, I get it.

Now, the positive is that Thursday will be an EPIC day in Iowa basketball history and once the record is broken I think you will see this team get on a roll. ALL OF THEIR GOALS STILL THERE IN FRONT OF THEM!!!! GO HAWKS!

THIS X 1000!!! We (and the players and coaches) know EXACTLY what happened. The pressure was on to have Caitlin break the record at home. I mean come on, Caitlin has 31 going into the 4th quarter and goes scoreless in the 4th. LOL!! They were hoping that the rest of the team would get across the finish line and it disrupted the final quarter. And, I get it.

Now, the positive is that Thursday will be an EPIC day in Iowa basketball history and once the record is broken I think you will see this team get on a roll. ALL OF THEIR GOALS STILL THERE IN FRONT OF THEM!!!! GO HAWKS!
Agree x 1000 + it was to obvious to miss....pardon the pun.

Iowa is a losing basketball team without Clark. Should never go away from her. If Clark didn't play a game this season Iowa would have about 6 to 8 wins.

stinks that they now need help from average teams to upset OSU for shot at regular season title.

For Bluder to have a talent like Clark and not win a regular season title would be fairly big let down for her coaching career.

But it does send a good message to this team to figure out how to get someone else going if Gabbie isn’t playing well. Still think they need to open up the rotation on games like yesterday.

stinks that they now need help from average teams to upset OSU for shot at regular season title.

For Bluder to have a talent like Clark and not win a regular season title would be fairly big let down for her coaching career.

But it does send a good message to this team to figure out how to get someone else going if Gabbie isn’t playing well. Still think they need to open up the rotation on games like yesterday.
Gabbie is either over 50% from 3 or <=20%

Reactions: ddeanHawk
Gabbie is either over 50% from 3 or <=20%
Yep, she's either on or she isn't. Unfortunately she's been off way more games than she's on. Seems like if she misses the first one it's a sign of things to come. Love gabby but she needs to sit a lot more than she is. Get McCabe in there for spot up 3's. She the better shooter, way more consistent.

Apart from the worrisome pattern of blowing leads late in games, this team has other apparent flaws that may or may not be correctable. The most obvious is the inability to defend talented bigs down in the paint. This looks like a real problem going forward, especially in the NCAA tournament. Hope I'm wrong but getting beyond the Sweet Sixteen might be a real stretch for this team.

Apart from the worrisome pattern of blowing leads late in games, this team has other apparent flaws that may or may not be correctable. The most obvious is the inability to defend talented bigs down in the paint. This looks like a real problem going forward, especially in the NCAA tournament. Hope I'm wrong but getting beyond the Sweet Sixteen might be a real stretch for this team.
An E8 would be a heck of a season for this squad.

Now, we are one game behind OSU. If we win out AND beat them at home the last game of th year......who gets the Championship?

Reactions: kceasthawk
She did take 6 shots in the 4th, but just happened to miss them all. Without knowing her total for the game, I'm going out on a limb and say her 4th quarter shot volume was pretty typical to other quarters. Are you implying she missed those 6 shots on purpose? I don't disagree that they may have taken their foot off the gas, but I think once it got within 10 points that went out the door. Nebraska just won the game by dominating the 4th. It's not like they are a bottom feeder.

The quote says nothing. “Playing not to lose” is a meaningless cliche.

Now, “playing afraid”, for example, would tell us something.

Now, we are one game behind OSU. If we win out AND beat them at home the last game of th year......who gets the Championship?
Assuming Indiana wins out except the Iowa game, I'd think Iowa will have the tie breaker vs Ohio State since Iowa will have a 2-0 record against the 3rd place team while Ohio State will only be 1-0. This is for the seedings in the Big Ten tournament only. Iowa and Ohio State will be co-champions of the regular season.

I agree! This loss is on the coaches. I think they told them to coast and have Caitlin pass to other people to score. Then when things got close they tried to turn it on they were out their rhythm. Caitlin was out sorts. Should have just kept the pedal to the metal and won the game. THAT ONE IS ON BLUDER!

Last edited:
She did take 6 shots in the 4th, but just happened to miss them all. Without knowing her total for the game, I'm going out on a limb and say her 4th quarter shot volume was pretty typical to other quarters. Are you implying she missed those 6 shots on purpose? I don't disagree that they may have taken their foot off the gas, but I think once it got within 10 points that went out the door. Nebraska just won the game by dominating the 4th. It's not like they are a bottom feeder.
No absolutely not saying she missed them on purpose. If she would have made the first 3...I think she wouldn't have shot anymore. Did you notice how less aggressive she was? She could have scored or got fouled pretty much whenever she wanted. She never drove in the lane any that I recall in the fourth. No way am I saying they didn't want to win. It's just got away from them and it started by holding cc scoring down. Then kinda got out of control, and they ended up with the loss

Last edited:
I agree! This loss is on the coaches. I think they told them to coast and have Caitlin pass to other people to score. Then when things got close they tried to turn it on they were out their rhythm. Caitlin was out sorts. Should have just kept the pelt to the melt and won the game. THAT ONE IS ON BLUDER!
Exactly!!!! Bluder should have called timeout when nebby started to score and we couldn't and said, fock getting the record in iowa city we are in the fight of our lives right now, cc, do your thing. Maybe she did too, but iowa couldn't recover and like you said were out of rhythm and sorts and nebby was making everything 🤷‍♂️

I agree with you 100%

No absolutely not saying she missed them on purpose. If she would have made the first 3...I think she wouldn't have shot anymore. Did you notice how less aggressive she was? She could have scored or got fouled pretty much whenever she wanted. She never drove in the lane any that I recall in the fourth. No way am I saying they didn't want to win. It's just got away from them and it started by holding cc scoring down. Then kinda got out of control, and they ended up with the loss
Had the game been in hand, I don't think there is any doubt they would have taken her out earlier than usual. Bluder was wrong to say out loud they would like to see her break the record at Carver. That opened them all up to this kind of discussion. I just think that if you watch the game they were getting away with mugging her with or without the ball. At some point that wears you down and I do believe that was the case for her yesterday. Whether she was sick or not, who knows. I do think she was struggling physically at the end.

i thought the same

Reactions: ddeanHawk
No one is suggesting this
Really? Try reading the thread again. Several people said that They pulled back on Clark so she'd set the record at home, and then they couldn't reverse this when they caught up. Absolute hogwash. There is NO way that Bluder gave her instructions like that. She was gassed in the 4th. End of story. Go back and watch how all her jumpers were short on the front of the rim. Thats not normal for her.

So dumb. Not true at all

She should have scored 6 more at the start of the 4th. They would have wrapped the game up and she still would have the record at home. CC decided not to score, not Bluder.

Bluder won the regular season title 2 years ago.

She should have scored 6 more at the start of the 4th. They would have wrapped the game up and she still would have the record at home. CC decided not to score, not Bluder.

CC went 0-6 in Q4. She quite literally couldn’t score.

Is this satire or serious? Cuz that’s either really dumb or really funny or both.

Really? Try reading the thread again. Several people said that They pulled back on Clark so she'd set the record at home, and then they couldn't reverse this when they caught up. Absolute hogwash. There is NO way that Bluder gave her instructions like that. She was gassed in the 4th. End of story. Go back and watch how all her jumpers were short on the front of the rim. Thats not normal for her.
I used to like you OK and I'm fairly close to kc, but you're wrong as fock, I'm right, get the fock over it

Iowa is a losing basketball team without Clark. Should never go away from her. If Clark didn't play a game this season Iowa would have about 6 to 8 wins.

Wow….is all I’ve got here….you honestly can’t remove that level of dumb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT