ADVERTISEMENT

Kade Pieper - must be powerful - O-line 2 deep

CRWash63

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2018
I was wondering why he can make the 2-deep for o-line at only 255 lbs. OK so I googled him and found:
The Norfolk Catholic senior and Iowa football recruit unleashed a monster toss Thursday — 65 feet, 3¾ inches in the shot put.
2019 - in Iowa --- SHOT PUTIowa State Meet Record: 67-02, Nick Phelps, KP-WC, 2018Iowa All-time Best: 70-11, Doug Lane, Cedar Rapids, Jefferson, 1968Class 4-A Record: 65-11.50, Doug Lane, Cedar Rapids, Jefferson, 1968Class 3-A Record: 64-07.75, Drew Clark, Marion, 2009Class 2-A Record: 67-02, Nick Phelps, KP-WC, 2018Class 1-A Record: 60-10.25, Bob Feuerbach, Preston, 1975

• Wow
Reactions: cidsports
I was wondering why he can make the 2-deep for o-line at only 255 lbs. OK so I googled him and found:
The Norfolk Catholic senior and Iowa football recruit unleashed a monster toss Thursday — 65 feet, 3¾ inches in the shot put.
2019 - in Iowa --- SHOT PUTIowa State Meet Record: 67-02, Nick Phelps, KP-WC, 2018Iowa All-time Best: 70-11, Doug Lane, Cedar Rapids, Jefferson, 1968Class 4-A Record: 65-11.50, Doug Lane, Cedar Rapids, Jefferson, 1968Class 3-A Record: 64-07.75, Drew Clark, Marion, 2009Class 2-A Record: 67-02, Nick Phelps, KP-WC, 2018Class 1-A Record: 60-10.25, Bob Feuerbach, Preston, 1975
He's 6'3, so a good frame to build on.

Heavier than 255 now (RS F weight) - probably solid 265-70 in camp. Moves well. Good feet. Can leverage well. Lean, athletic build, but a lot of power. Tons of upside.

Got playing time against Rutgers and Tennessee last year.

He's developing on a fast track.

He is at or near peak metabolism age and engaged in regular strength/cardio training. Assuming he is substantially following the S&C diet protocols, he could easily be consuming the 5-6k previously mentioned without health concerns.
A friend of mine here in SoCal is a private chef. He has some NFL players he cooks and meal plans for. Each of them pay him $3K per week (great work if you can get it). He tells me its all gluten free, good carbs, lean protein meats & protein shakes. But it's also the number of calories consumed.

A friend of mine here in SoCal is a private chef. He has some NFL players he cooks and meal plans for. Each of them pay him $3K per week (great work if you can get it). He tells me it’s all gluten free, good carbs, lean protein meats & protein shakes. But it's also the number of calories consumed.
Athletic diet science is much more advanced now than it was at the turn of the century when Ferentz took over from Hayden, especially in conjunction with exercise science.

….. and it works both ways - lean muscle gains and fat loss (looking at you Deacon).

How many calories do you have to eat in order to gain that much weight? Can't be healthy..
It's more about the amount of protein consumed on a daily basis for weight gain.

And simultaneously a reduction of empty calories.

For linemen its around 300 grams of protein per day. Consistently. Which can make a guy get sick here and there.

Very burdensome.

It's more about the amount of protein consumed on a daily basis for weight gain.

For linemen its around 300 grams of protein per day. Consistently. Which can make a guy get sick here and there.

Very burdensome.
Switch 'protein' to 'brownies' and I'm starting left tackle this fall!!

Couple guys I talk to at the gym who are much larger then I am agree with my position that big does not equal strong or powerful. Strength is a mental thing as well and that is where the nasty comes in. Hayden knew all this and it is why the locker room is pink, to calm the nasty. That also plays into what Jordan Peterson talks about, first you need to be a monster, then you need to learn to control it and that is where virtue comes in. He is not talking about size when he says being a monster, he is talking about mentality. I would take a nasty ruthless 260 pound monster over a mashed potato 285 pounder every day of the week.

How many calories do you have to eat in order to gain that much weight? Can't be healthy..
Are you talking gaining weight from 255 to 280 or 290? or are you talking gaining 10 pounds from 280 to 290?

If he came in at 255 and is really at 280 that is 25 pounds in about 18 months. I am sure a lot of the calories are protein and he is putting on muscle which is denser than fat so equal volumes then muscle adds up to more weight. We will get a new weight on him in Sept or so

Very burdensome.
Bruh…..on my bulk I was at 320 g of protein and 4500 total cals……I hated eating

Last edited:
Pieper was getting some good vibes on here last year from posters. I would imagine he is much higher than 255 now, which is great. I would still imagine his weight will be an issue that will need to be compensated for with a nasty streak, good technique, and athleticism.
One of his teammates mentioned last fall during the season that he was already up to 275-280 , he is probably north of 290 now.

Very burdensome.
I alway felt that as much as I hated cutting weight for wrestling, gaining weight for football in college was as mentally challenging.

There are NFL linemen that retire and lose 50 pounds right away and say that they're just sick of eating. They cut back to a normal diet and lose the weight with now problem.

Article about linemen weight loss

Marshall Yanda--He told "The Pat McAfee Show," "I didn't really realize it at the time how much I was doing to keep that weight on, but obviously, it has come off really fast, and shoot, I feel so much better."
6affcac2714f41d2a8b8864e7e235b9e_xl.jpg

Joe Thomas--It didn't actually take a Herculean effort for Thomas to lose the weight. He said he quickly shed the pounds by eating close to the recommended number of calories per day. While with the Browns, Thomas had to eat thousands more calories per day to maintain his playing weight, which fluctuated between 300 and 315 pounds.
joe-thomas-weight-loss-1024x683.png

Couple guys I talk to at the gym who are much larger then I am agree with my position that big does not equal strong or powerful. Strength is a mental thing as well and that is where the nasty comes in. Hayden knew all this and it is why the locker room is pink, to calm the nasty. That also plays into what Jordan Peterson talks about, first you need to be a monster, then you need to learn to control it and that is where virtue comes in. He is not talking about size when he says being a monster, he is talking about mentality. I would take a nasty ruthless 260 pound monster over a mashed potato 285 pounder every day of the week.
And dudes with a wrestling background know how to use their strength. Try wrestling a wrestler even if they are smaller, can kick your ass.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
He's 6'3, so a good frame to build on.

Heavier than 255 now (RS F weight) - probably solid 265-70 in camp. Moves well. Good feet. Can leverage well. Lean, athletic build, but a lot of power. Tons of upside.

Got playing time against Rutgers and Tennessee last year.

He's developing on a fast track.
Sounds like Center material.

Are you talking gaining weight from 255 to 280 or 290? or are you talking gaining 10 pounds from 280 to 290?

If he came in at 255 and is really at 280 that is 25 pounds in about 18 months. I am sure a lot of the calories are protein and he is putting on muscle which is denser than fat so equal volumes then muscle adds up to more weight. We will get a new weight on him in Sept or so
A pound to a pound and a half is all that can be added naturally of muscle per month. (and that is going to take some serious training) I do not care what you do or how much you eat. That said. if he came in at a lean 255, he can afford a little extra weight beyond lean mass. Especially as was said, when you are burning an extreme amount of calories and are young. Carrying that extra weight for the rest of your life might not be such a good idea however. I have six pack abs, but I actually prefer to have a thin layer over them, because I do not have any fat to burn and while I try to make sure I eat at least what I expend, it is not always possible. So one week my abs will be more noticeable and other weeks if I have eaten a caloric excess, they might not be as noticeable. I am right in the middle of a healthy bmi and would not mind getting to the upper side of that, but if I do, I want it to be good weight. All this is why the strength and conditioning department is so vital and should be taken very seriously.
And dudes with a wrestling background know how to use their strength. Try wrestling a wrestler even if they are smaller, can kick your ass.

I have friends who wrestled. When we were young they would look at my build and want to wrestle. So I have obliged a time or two. Strength wise they could not beat me, but knowing the moves and me not knowing is what beat me. I can not remember what hold it was, but when we got done I had rug burn on my forehead and cheek bone from trying to get out of it. Bad enough burn It scabbed over for a couple weeks. (I do not tap out easily). My God that seems like a lifetime ago. Oh wait it was. Lol.

Sure it's a lot of protein. I would love to see their blood work during playing days vs not playing days.

A pound to a pound and a half is all that can be added naturally of muscle per month. (and that is going to take some serious training) I do not care what you do or how much you eat. That said. if he came in at a lean 255, he can afford a little extra weight beyond lean mass. Especially as was said, when you are burning an extreme amount of calories and are young. Carrying that extra weight for the rest of your life might not be such a good idea however. I have six pack abs, but I actually prefer to have a thin layer over them, because I do not have any fat to burn and while I try to make sure I eat at least what I expend, it is not always possible. So one week my abs will be more noticeable and other weeks if I have eaten a caloric excess, they might not be as noticeable. I am right in the middle of a healthy bmi and would not mind getting to the upper side of that, but if I do, I want it to be good weight. All this is why the strength and conditioning department is so vital and should be taken very seriously.

I have friends who wrestled. When we were young they would look at my build and want to wrestle. So I have obliged a time or two. Strength wise they could not beat me, but knowing the moves and me not knowing is what beat me. I can not remember what hold it was, but when we got done I had rug burn on my forehead and cheek bone from trying to get out of it. Bad enough burn It scabbed over for a couple weeks. (I do not tap out easily). My God that seems like a lifetime ago. Oh wait it was. Lol.
I was the way bigger guy being a RT in high school and those dudes were able to stabilize me for sure.

Yup. Once a week I have a cheat day where I consume 5,000 up to 10,000 a day and it's fine. But when I bulked at 4,000 a day it got old super fast. It was a chore at that point.
i don't recall the name, but iirc, a recent former hawk said he would drink up to 14 protein shakes a day to get his calories and protein in. sheesh

i don't recall the name, but iirc, a recent former hawk said he would drink up to 14 protein shakes a day to get his calories and protein in. sheesh
Biggest problem is the body needs more then just protein. Carbs is what keeps your energy up. But it is also what gets stored as fat if it is not burned off. So at just a gram of protein per pound on a 280 pound person that is like 6 chicken breast a day or 40 eggs. (you would not limit it to one source but just showing how much food it is for 1 gram per pound). PLUS you need your carbs.. SO yeah it is a crazy amount of food the big boys have to eat.

Last edited:
Reading through all your posts in this thread, you have a general knowledge of what you’re taking about, but probably a little too confident in your knowledge of exercise and nutrition.

I have B.S. in exercise science, and have been a trainer for over 20 years. Used to train athletes.

Most importantly, the real reason I’m replying to you, and I can’t stress this enough. Stop listening to Jordan Peterson.

Carry on with your education in fitness and weight gain nutrition, sans paragraphs.

Reading through all your posts in this thread, you have a general knowledge of what you’re taking about, but probably a little too confident in your knowledge of exercise and nutrition.

I have B.S. in exercise science, and have been a trainer for over 20 years. Used to train athletes.

Most importantly, the real reason I’m replying to you, and I can’t stress this enough. Stop listening to Jordan Peterson.

Carry on with your education in fitness and weight gain nutrition, sans paragraphs.
Oh I admit I do not know anything about it. Don't know much of anything really. I thought I did once, but I was wrong. I just picked up a few things here and there. As for Jordan, I listen and read lots of stuff. Not saying I agree with it all, but some raise valid points. I try to take the good and leave the bad in all people and things. I have listened to several former body builders and it did not take me long figure out, there are as many opinions as body types. Life is a learning experience and you figure out what works for you is how I look at it. So see, from Jordan, to football, to body builders and even to Plato's republic, I read and listen to lot's of stuff. I am kind of all over the place. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: pink shizzle
I used to do close to 4000 a day. Gained quality weight in 3 months. Well over 35 pounds. But I'm only 6 feet and was skinny. The director of athletic training at uni says 3 to 5 thousand of healthy food. Not unhealthy i guess. I did poop a lot though.

I have six pack abs, but I actually prefer to have a thin layer over them, because I do not have any fat to burn and while I try to make sure I eat at least what I expend, it is not always possible. So one week my abs will be more noticeable and other weeks if I have eaten a caloric excess, they might not be as noticeable. I am right in the middle of a healthy bmi and would not mind getting to the upper side of that, but if I do, I want it to be good weight. All this is why the strength and conditioning department is so vital and should be taken very seriously.
Homer and I have the other kind of six-pack abs.

pst1663_Homer_Simpson_Duff_Beer_Poster_grande.jpg

Don’t apologize for listening to Jordan P
Oh I admit I do not know anything about it. Don't know much of anything really. I thought I did once, but I was wrong. I just picked up a few things here and there. As for Jordan, I listen and read lots of stuff. Not saying I agree with it all, but some raise valid points. I try to take the good and leave the bad in all people and things. I have listened to several former body builders and it did not take me long figure out, there are as many opinions as body types. Life is a learning experience and you figure out what works for you is how I look at it. So see, from Jordan, to football, to body builders and even to Plato's republic, I read and listen to lot's of stuff. I am kind of all over the place. Lol
Dont apologize for listening to Jordan Peterson. He has helped numerous young men with their struggles. Anybody that tells you differently is a lying dog faced pony soldier that believes poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids! We all know that all men are created uh made uh……..You know the thing!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT