ADVERTISEMENT

Kaden Wetjen is faster than Cooper DeJean. Chad Leistikow & Scott Dochterman Discuss the WR Room

Kirk mentioned Anderson on the show On Iowa Live. Said was hurt in spring ball so wasn't in last Saturday. Said a guy that showed flashes last year, but was hindered a bit coming from such a small school into Iowa. Has made further advances since last season end.
I also want to know why so many of our receivers are hurt? It’s constant. The season was over in December. Shouldn’t guys be healed up and ready for Spring unless they had surgeries? Get on the field.

This list is undeniably pathetic for a Big 10 WR room. For example:

1. Kaleb Brown. Iowa's #1 WR, which is supposed to be the glamor position on any roster. Brown has just 200 receiving yrds in his entire career (along with quite a few really bad drops). While the guy has talent, Brian didn't think enough of Brown, even with his job on the line, to even play him in 6 games last year (not that Brian is a good judge of talent). Below avg WRs like Ragaini & Anderson started ahead of him.

2. Seth Anderson. Zero scholarship offers out of hs. A DIII WR (transferred from mighty Charleston Southern) who peaked in series 1 game 1 of his Hawkeye career when he caught a wide open touchdown pass when the defender tripped. Unfortunately, he regressed in his remaining 13 games, totaling just 9 catches. He would not be the #2 WR on any other Big 10 roster, but he's all Iowa has.

3. Kaden Wetjen. Zero scholarship offers out of hs. No scholarship offer this year, even from Iowa. Undersized walk-on who wouldn't play elsewhere in the Big 10.

4. Dayton Howard. Iowa was his only scholarship offer at any level. He's just a freshmen, so expecting a contribution out of a 0 star "project recruit" is a stretch.

5. Jarriet Buie. Didn't even make all-conference in high school, yet he's expected to come in and contribute as a 185 lb freshmen at Iowa?

6. Alex Mota. Was a small school hs QB. Had maybe 10 receptions in his entire high school career and none in college. Certainly not a Big 10 WR at this time.

7. The rest. Small town walkons.
Never thought /of Marion as a small school --at least in Iowa. Maybe it has gotten smaller since last I looked.

WRs playing for teams like Uconn torched some of the defenses we struggled to moved the ball against. Hopefully with better schemes/routes and not being as predictable will help our guys out at every position.

What ever happened with the “other” OSU transfer walk on Austin Kuetcher?
That 70S Show Thank You GIF by PeacockTV

Medium-Small for Iowa. Which means Small in most states.
Marion is 4A in football in Iowa - classifications range from A and 8-player for the smallest schools up to 5A. Their enrollment is 61st out of over 350 schools in the state. Not a large school, but definitely not a small school in most states.

Reactions: littlez
I also want to know why so many of our receivers are hurt? It’s constant. The season was over in December. Shouldn’t guys be healed up and ready for Spring unless they had surgeries? Get on the field.
He didn't say why. A kid could injure himself in the weight room, so not sure if practice or outside of practice injury.

It takes a special kind of homer to be "ok with Iowa's WR room" and Leistikow is that homer.

Anyone else who even casually watched the Hawks over the past few years would note the group lost 3 of its top receivers to graduation/portal and now touts just 3 healthy scholarship WRs (a fraction of most schools depth), two of whom were extremely lightly recruited and have never caught a pass in college. The rest of the WR depth...small town Iowa walk-ons who had no college football scholarship offers for a reason.

In other words, the Iowa media (i.e. guys who are actually paid to watch Iowa sports) is propagandizing Iowa's weakest position group as a strength.

Sadly, what else can we expect from the Iowa media? Objectivity? Nah. Before last season, the same media also unanimously reported the "OL looks much improved." They also said last week that 1 one legged 65 yr old man Cade McNamara "should be 100% by fall practice."
I’m trying to understand how you listened to this clip and claimed they were arguing WR was a strength. Literally nothing they said in any way infers it’s a strength.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Marion is 4A in football in Iowa - classifications range from A and 8-player for the smallest schools up to 5A. Their enrollment is 61st out of over 350 schools in the state. Not a large school, but definitely not a small school in most states.
Lots of schools considered Large in Iowa have enrollments of 1,400 plus.

What is the enrollment number for Marion?

Lots of schools considered Large in Iowa have enrollments of 1,400 plus.

What is the enrollment number for Marion?
WD Valley enrollment is listed at 2209 and 10 schools in the state have an enrollment over 1400 for 2024-25 (enrollment is counted using 9-11 grades). But that's irrelevant. The fact that there are large schools in Iowa doesn't make Marion a small school. It's in the top 20% for enrollment in the state. It's in the second largest class for football out of 6 (7 classes if you add 8-man). So, he didn't play 'small-school' football nor is Marion a med/small school in Iowa as was claimed. That's all I was saying.

WD Valley enrollment is listed at 2209 and 10 schools in the state have an enrollment over 1400 for 2024-25 (enrollment is counted using 9-11 grades). But that's irrelevant. The fact that there are large schools in Iowa doesn't make Marion a small school. It's in the top 20% for enrollment in the state. It's in the second largest class for football out of 6 (7 classes if you add 8-man). So, he didn't play 'small-school' football nor is Marion a med/small school in Iowa as was claimed. That's all I was saying.
Yes, if we’re talking the athletic class they compete in, they’re certainly not a “Small” school.

I thought I saw somewhere Marion had like 600’ish enrolled. If that’s true, I’d certainly classify them as Medium at best.

Maybe I feel that way because I came from one of the 1,400 plus high schools and I never felt like it was very big.

Bishop Heelan is a small school competing in a large class.

Yes, if we’re talking the athletic class they compete in, they’re certainly not a “Small” school.

I thought I saw somewhere Marion had like 600’ish enrolled. If that’s true, I’d certainly classify them as Medium at best.

Maybe I feel that way because I came from one of the 1,400 plus high schools and I never felt like it was very big.

Bishop Heelan is a small school competing in a large class.
The numbers of course fluctuate yearly. And going into next year they are listed at 539 - so you can assume they have an overall enrollment of around 700.

There are 366 schools on the IHSAA site. Let's drop the bottom 60 because many of them are very small. So if we use the top 300 as the number of schools in the state - the median school for enrollment (#150) is Van Meter at 227. So when you compare the 'average' school in Iowa with Marion (227 vs 539) - clearly it's not reality to say it's a small school. I guess when Linn Mar has an enrollment of 1713 it could feel that way, though...

The numbers of course fluctuate yearly. And going into next year they are listed at 539 - so you can assume they have an overall enrollment of around 700.

There are 366 schools on the IHSAA site. Let's drop the bottom 60 because many of them are very small. So if we use the top 300 as the number of schools in the state - the median school for enrollment (#150) is Van Meter at 227. So when you compare the 'average' school in Iowa with Marion (227 vs 539) - clearly it's not reality to say it's a small school. I guess when Linn Mar has an enrollment of 1713 it could feel that way, though...
I suppose I’m providing more of opinion-based posts with you here, as opposed to your facts.

You’re clearly more accurate here, Sir. I concede.

I suppose I’m providing more of opinion-based posts with you here, as opposed to your facts.

You’re clearly more accurate here, Sir. I concede.
I was in the military with a guy from Munday, TX and he said his graduating class was 8. And they still had a football team. (8-man of course)

So what people consider to be a small school can certainly be a matter of perspective.

The optimist in me wants to think that Lester is good at utilizing WRs, given his coaching of Skyy Moore and Dee Eskridge at Western Michigan. Both were extremely productive at WMU (each averaged over 100 yards per game in their final seasons) propelling both to be 2nd round draft picks. However, both have been disappointments in the NFL. Perhaps it is a sign that Lester managed to get elite production out of two good, but not great, WRs?

Both Moore and Eskridge were small (5' 10" and 5' 9"), and Kaleb Brown seems to fit the mold for similar utilization at Iowa. Maybe Wetjen seems to have the athleticism too. Seth Anderson also showed some flashes last year of good burst / wiggle. Brown, Wetjen, and Anderson each had issues with drops.

Bottom line, none of Iowa's WRs have proven anything, and at best the position group is a question mark. We shall see.

Projected pecking order of Iowa WRs next year:
  1. Kaleb Brown
  2. Seth Anderson
  3. Kaden Wetjen
  4. Dayton Howard
  5. Jarriet Buie
  6. Alex Mota
  7. Reece Vander Zee
  8. Alex Wick
  9. Reese Osgood
  10. Alex Eichmann
  11. CJ Leonard
  12. Ayden Price
  13. Judah Mallette
  14. Luke Pollack
Looks like a decent group. 😉

As of yet he doesn't have the vision DeJean had.
That was why he was returning some. What position is the guy who missed the tackle being a gunner and then ran him down from behind?? We might want to get him going as well. PLUS all this talk about WR, but do not forget we are TEU, so there will be several choices to throw to. (add in the fact that we like our rb's to be able to catch as well)

That was why he was returning some. What position is the guy who missed the tackle being a gunner and then ran him down from behind?? We might want to get him going as well. PLUS all this talk about WR, but do not forget we are TEU, so there will be several choices to throw to. (add in the fact that we like our rb's to be able to catch as well)

I can picture him but can't think of his name; that dude can fly, for sure

I can picture him but can't think of his name; that dude can fly, for sure
To run down another teams returner, when the returner had a 10 yard head start? Yeah I would say he has some wheels. Might be smart to give him a try at returning so Wetjen is more fresh if they are going to play him at receiver? All I am saying is, you can not ignore the speed or determination. Hard to keep someone like that off the field.

To run down another teams returner, when the returner had a 10 yard head start? Yeah I would say he has some wheels. Might be smart to give him a try at returning so Wetjen is more fresh if they are going to play him at receiver? All I am saying is, you can not ignore the speed or determination. Hard to keep someone like that off the field.
He played in all 14 games last year

Needs to catch the easy ones. Too many drops for him last year. He will need to take a big step forward in that department.
KB dropped a sure TD pass from the Deacon against Nebby. It was a tough catch, well-defended, but a stud WR makes that catch and changes the complexion of the game.

Never really thought of Cooper as "fast".

More like ELUSIVE.

Cooper held his own private workout just one month after being medically cleared. He posted a 4.43 in the 40-yard dash, a vertical of 38.5-inch vertical and a 10-foot-4-inch broad jump. He measured in at 6-foot and 203 pounds with 31 1/8-inch arms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT