ADVERTISEMENT

Kaleb Johnson 4 star from Ohio in the house

CRWash63

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2018
Kaleb Johnson came in to Iowa City this week and weigh in at 225 and still has a 6-pack. Height: 6' 2"
I think he will get some snaps early - the running back position looks very strong with G. Williams and L. Williams already proven. Now add Jaziun Patterson, Deavin Hilson and Zach Brand. WOW. LET'S GO!

Kaleb Johnson came in to Iowa City this week and weigh in at 225 and still has a 6-pack. Height: 6' 2"
I think he will get some snaps early - the running back position looks very strong with G. Williams and L. Williams already proven. Now add Jaziun Patterson, Deavin Hilson and Zach Brand. WOW. LET'S GO!
It'd be great if he could get a carry, or two against tosu this fall.

Listen...after rewatching the Penn State game...I'm pretty sure Kaleb is already a better blocker than Goodson was. My god, he wasn't even blocking a lineman or linebacker a few times and he just gave up...and they got sacks on Petras. I'm not trying to get down on Tyler...but he had some really poor efforts blocking in that game.

You cannot ever have too many good running backs. It looks like good quality depth as well.

Let's hope what we think are good young linemen play like good young linemen.

It sounds like he is physically ready to go right now. Being mentally ready to go is a whole other thing but, I think we have ourselves one heck of an RB in Kaleb.
Mentally ready, not addressing you Nevada but it's almost like our coaches have conditioned us to think this is all too complicated for a freshman.
Freshman qb and running back studs start constantly at the the top P5 schools.
I haven't followed him so if you are talking about grades, maturity, or something else that I'm not aware of that's different.

Mentally ready, not addressing you Nevada but it's almost like our coaches have conditioned us to think this is all too complicated for a freshman.
I haven't followed him so if you are talking about grades, maturity, or something else that I'm not aware of that's different.
Perhaps, mentally may not have been a good word choice. I was referring to learning the playbook, picking up the blitz, route running on passing plays, etc. I was not suggesting grades, maturity, or citizenship are issues with Kaleb.

Despite that Goodson started his freshman season and led Iowa.

Reactions: cmhawks99 and Torg
Listen...after rewatching the Penn State game...I'm pretty sure Kaleb is already a better blocker than Goodson was. My god, he wasn't even blocking a lineman or linebacker a few times and he just gave up...and they got sacks on Petras. I'm not trying to get down on Tyler...but he had some really poor efforts blocking in that game.
TG was not a good blocker. And our line was average at best.

Was this conditioning induced by starting Goodson, Robinson, Coker, for example? Literally our last regular starter began starting as a freshman. Albert Young started as a freshman. I'm sure other, less historic (for good or bad) guys probably did as well.

Freshman QBs start when they are like top ten talent or they are playing for an unstable program or a new coach. There are, of course exceptions, but that's the general experience since freshmen became eligible. KF is hardly an outlier here.

KF is not perfect but an unwillingness to play freshmen is not among his imperfections.

TG was not a good blocker. And our line was average at best.

That was another area where Tyler regressed. He looked pretty good as a freshman and sophomore but last season there was a clear diminution of effort in the part of his game that was needed last season. Think he had kind of subconsciously reduced effort to reduce the chance of injury.

Of course, he wasn't getting a lot of clean holes and was overwhelmed by rushers or blitzers as well.

Reactions: CRWash63
Was this conditioning induced by starting Goodson, Robinson, Coker, for example? Literally our last regular starter began starting as a freshman. Albert Young started as a freshman. I'm sure other, less historic (for good or bad) guys probably did as well.

Freshman QBs start when they are like top ten talent or they are playing for an unstable program or a new coach. There are, of course exceptions, but that's the general experience since freshmen became eligible. KF is hardly an outlier here.

KF is not perfect but an unwillingness to play freshmen is not among his imperfections.
You just named 3 going back 20 years and not one qb. Just saying, seems like we have seen many good players ride the pine behind starters that probably deserve to sit for a bit.
Jmo
I will admit that I was surprised it was three. I had forgot about Marcus.

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
You just named 3 going back 20 years and not one qb. Just saying, seems like we have seen many good players ride the pine behind starters that probably deserve to sit for a bit.
Jmo
I will admit that I was surprised it was three. I had forgot about Marcus.
Well let's put the shoe on the other foot. Who were the freshmen that should have started but did not? Curious but you must have several in mind.

Lots of Freshman running backs have played.

As stated, one of the criteria for early playing time is picking up the blocking assignments. If he doesn't, he'll get the random carries that won't burn the redshirt.

I think both of these true freshmen running backs will see playing time. They're just too good to keep off the field.

That is basically my perception of it also. I see at least three guys who look pretty darn good. I think we may even have a situation where there are just not enough carries to go around and one or more ends up transferring. sure hope not. But it would have to be a running back by committee, as it often is, just to try to be fair. I just do not see one guy getting the lion's share of the carries, as Goodson did (if I remember correctly)

No worries, Petras is back.
For all his deficiencies, Petras is, just like his predecessor, undefeated against Iowa State.

I myself can't wait for this year's family reunion in August. It is there I can catch-up with my NW Iowa ISU grad relatives who last year talked incessently about the upcoming Cyclone football domination over Iowa.

They talked about securing prime seats and how it was worth the cost to see ISU demolish Iowa. Trice would be rocking like no other game in the last 20 years; they were lucky to get good seats and they were happy to pay hundreds to get each seat. Its going to be historic and joyous. I bit my tongue.

They talked about a blow-out win. ISU was Top10, probably under-ranked to be honest. The Iowa defense won't know what hit them. Campbell will show no mercy, A new era has arrived, deal with it. I nodded.

They taked of elaborate tailgate plans and what a weekend of celebration it will be as ISU arrives as a national title contender. A national audience will see ISU as THE powerhouse football program in Iowa. I excused myself to get another beer.

Surely they will be eager to discuss last year's game. Looking forward to it.... if they show. Might be a schedule conflict for a few.

For all his deficiencies, Petras is, just like his predecessor, undefeated against Iowa State.

I myself can't wait for this year's family reunion in August. It is there I can catch-up with my NW Iowa ISU grad relatives who last year talked incessently about the upcoming Cyclone football domination over Iowa.

They talked about securing prime seats and how it was worth the cost to see ISU demolish Iowa. Trice would be rocking like no other game in the last 20 years; they were lucky to get good seats and they were happy to pay hundreds to get each seat. Its going to be historic and joyous. I bit my tongue.

They talked about a blow-out win. ISU was Top10, probably under-ranked to be honest. The Iowa defense won't know what hit them. Campbell will show no mercy, A new era has arrived, deal with it. I nodded.

They taked of elaborate tailgate plans and what a weekend of celebration it will be as ISU arrives as a national title contender. A national audience will see ISU as THE powerhouse football program in Iowa. I excused myself to get another beer.

Surely they will be eager to discuss last year's game. Looking forward to it.... if they show. Might be a schedule conflict for a few.
Sounds like it'll be a GREAT tailgate in Iowa City this year. Maybe you could serve them some crow!

Reactions: AlvySinger
I'll call BS on this, if your saying KF doesn't play young backs. Quite often our freshman RB's play quite a bit, several have been starters, so, ah NO......

I just hope the OL can ball out this year. That would solve a lot of problems with the offense. Not all of them but with a great defense and a great running game, they would be very difficult to beat.
Ol has to be better, but it damn hard to do their job if our offense is one dimensional. Everyone has to do their part or it won't matter much.

For a frosh coming in with ALL the tools, the massive unknown is ball security. Early playing time for a RB at Iowa depends on it.
So true. And its fixable. I never understood why Akrum didn't resolve his ball security issues quicker .... considering that was the major issue limiting his reps early.

Reactions: BBHawk
Wadley never understood the things the grown-ups knew. He was no longer in HS but the B!G where he was a small and fragile back. He had lazy or stupid ball control issues. Carried the ball like a loaf of bread. Great when someone like Walter Payton does, not so great when its a 190 pound college running back.

Speaking of the freshmen disinfo above ask how many of these top flight running backs have never really blocked anyone. Just that critical deficiency can keep a home run hitter on the pine. Most programs cannot afford to get their quarterback killed because the home run hitter doesn't know what to do when a LB and a S start creeping up toward the line on the same end.

Edit: Plus he's really pretty much a douche bag that was hated by the coaches.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Pawkhawk1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT