ADVERTISEMENT

Kaleb Johnson 4 star from Ohio in the house

That and weight, which contributed to his ability to take a hit. He was great as long as he didn't get hit.
This. It was the fact that he wouldn't follow the workout and nutrition program that doyle had set up for him, that got him in the dog house. The staff felt like he wasn't doing everything he could to give himself the best chance to play effectively.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Wadley never understood the things the grown-ups knew. He was no longer in HS but the B!G where he was a small and fragile back. He had lazy or stupid ball control issues. Carried the ball like a loaf of bread. Great when some like Walter Payton does, not so great when its a 190 college running.

Speaking of the freshmen disinfo above ask how many of these top flight running backs have never really blocked anyone. Just that critical deficiency can keep a home run hitter on the pine. Most programs cannot afford to get their quarterback killed because the home run hitter doesn't know what to do when a LB and a S start creeping up toward the line on the same end.
True except "he who should remain nameless" weighed more like 175lbs the first couple of years.

You just named 3 going back 20 years and not one qb. Just saying, seems like we have seen many good players ride the pine behind starters that probably deserve to sit for a bit.
Jmo
I will admit that I was surprised it was three. I had forgot about Marcus.

Well let's put the shoe on the other foot. Who were the freshmen that should have started but did not? Curious but you must have several in mind.

Crickets

Reactions: CRWash63
That was another area where Tyler regressed. He looked pretty good as a freshman and sophomore but last season there was a clear diminution of effort in the part of his game that was needed last season. Think he had kind of subconsciously reduced effort to reduce the chance of injury.

Of course, he wasn't getting a lot of clean holes and was overwhelmed by rushers or blitzers as well.
I would agree, Tyler looked much better his freshman and sophomore years, looking like he ran on instinct, where as his last year I thought he danced in the backfield way to much looking for some place to run. Yeah, the line was mediocre at best, but the Williams boys when there was no hole got what they could, which would be no gain and Tyler would lose 2 or 3 yards.

I would agree, Tyler looked much better his freshman and sophomore years, looking like he ran on instinct, where as his last year I thought he danced in the backfield way to much looking for some place to run. Yeah, the line was mediocre at best, but the Williams boys when there was no hole got what they could, which would be no gain and Tyler would lose 2 or 3 yards.
Seemed like the Williams just fell forward, always gaining a little if not more. They delved out the punishment instead of avoiding it.

Mentally ready, not addressing you Nevada but it's almost like our coaches have conditioned us to think this is all too complicated for a freshman.
Freshman qb and running back studs start constantly at the the top P5 schools.
I haven't followed him so if you are talking about grades, maturity, or something else that I'm not aware of that's different.

Soooooo, starts constantly?! Lets look that over….

There are 130 plus D-1 schools. Lets say 20 true frosh Rbers/QBs start. That’s quite a few! Yet still only 15%? So it’s not like it is “constant”

Was this conditioning induced by starting Goodson, Robinson, Coker, for example? Literally our last regular starter began starting as a freshman. Albert Young started as a freshman. I'm sure other, less historic (for good or bad) guys probably did as well.

Freshman QBs start when they are like top ten talent or they are playing for an unstable program or a new coach. There are, of course exceptions, but that's the general experience since freshmen became eligible. KF is hardly an outlier here.

KF is not perfect but an unwillingness to play freshmen is not among his imperfections.

Exactly!!! At most every position!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT