ADVERTISEMENT

Kaleb Johnson Awesomeness Appreciation

He’s a big back - has to be 6-2 but he showed everything you want in a young back as he’s fast and a bruiser- 7 totes for 103? Imagine if they handed it off to him double that! I guarantee he would have at least gain 150 yards… HE WAS PHENOMENAL! Skies the limit with him
Has some real ability. It will be interesting to see how RB carries are handled going forward. L. Williams was at father's funeral. He and G. Williams are solid, but neither of them can do that Johnson did on both long TD runs.

I'm not advocating for 20+ carries for Johnson and make him the #1 back, right now. Probably best to let him be high impact off the bench. But there's going to be a time when he needs to be the guy.

Has some real ability. It will be interesting to see how RB carries are handled going forward. L. Williams was at father's funeral. He and G. Williams are solid, but neither of them can do that Johnson did on both long TD runs.

I'm not advocating for 20+ carries for Johnson and make him the #1 back, right now. Probably best to let him be high impact off the bench. But there's going to be a time when he needs to be the guy.

He is smooth, fast enough, hard hitting as on the first TD run, give the 3 running backs their mix of carries and series.

He is smooth, fast enough, hard hitting as on the first TD run, give the 3 running backs their mix of carries and series.
Yeah he was very impressive. Broke a tackle on the first TD run, maintained balance and got up to top speed quickly to score. Second one was well blocked/schemed and that's what you want from your back. If the defense doesn't play the counter well, have it be a big play not just 8 yards.

If he can catch a pass out of the backfield he might end up being something very special. Just some simple screen passes or even quick pitches to the outside. Let's see what he can do in space against Rutgers ... their D is very good.

I like him, but with our line going into league play, he won't do much......sadly.

If he can catch a pass out of the backfield he might end up being something very special. Just some simple screen passes or even quick pitches to the outside. Let's see what he can do in space against Rutgers ... their D is very good.
I watched a lot of his high school tape he has very good hands and he can catch a ball. He also returned a lot of kicks In high school too.

He mentioned that he's put in a lot of work catching passes. Had one last night I believe.....

Such a smooth runner with speed, and showed some power on the first TD run. Liked what I saw from Patterson in mop up time as well.

Reactions: Hawkeyes19
Kaleb is the one bright spot in this shit show offense, at least he was last night against a brutal team. Which means, the Ferentz brain trust will continue to give Gavin Williams the most carries. He’s too slow, doesn’t have the footwork that Kaleb has. Kaleb and Leshon should be 1 and 2 with Gavin 3.

Just an observation but he runs smooth effortlessly great touchdown run THIS MORNING LOL
On TV I didn't think he "looked" fast but obviously he is. Just must be the fact that he is so smooth with long strides seemingly effortlessly that makes it look like he isn't running hard. Then boom he's gone.

Reactions: Cougars_80
He’s a big back - has to be 6-2 but he showed everything you want in a young back as he’s fast and a bruiser- 7 totes for 103? Imagine if they handed it off to him double that! I guarantee he would have at least gain 150 yards… HE WAS PHENOMENAL! Skies the limit with him
He doesn't look that big...yet. he really does a good job of running to daylight. He took a couple of hits on his first TD run but kept his balance. Can't really teach that. He showed his speed on the second TD. He has some wheels!

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
On TV I didn't think he "looked" fast but obviously he is. Just must be the fact that he is so smooth with long strides seemingly effortlessly that makes it look like he isn't running hard. Then boom he's gone.
He runs like an Olympic 100M sprinter in the last 50 meters of a race ... head stays steady and just glides. Fun to watch and I'm glad he is on our team. Get this kid the rock.

Last edited:

I agree with the bold statement and Johnson is a very smooth/fast runner in the open field.

He runs like an Olympic 100M sprinter in the last 50 meters of a race ... head stays steady and just glides. Fun to watch and I'm glad he is on our team. Get this kid the rock.
Interesting you also picked up on that about his head. I also noticed that which I think makes him look so smooth when running. There isn’t a lot of wasted movement when he runs.

I wonder how many carries Johnson would have gotten if Leshon Williams had been available.
It's obvious that the staff likes K. Johnson a lot. He got carries in both of the first 2 games even with the other backs. It's all about opportunity and taking advantage of it when it comes. He has the longest 2 plays from scrimmage this year for Iowa, I think you are going to see him getting in every game from here on out.

It's obvious that the staff likes K. Johnson a lot. He got carries in both of the first 2 games even with the other backs. It's all about opportunity and taking advantage of it when it comes. He has the longest 2 plays from scrimmage this year for Iowa, I think you are going to see him getting in every game from here on out.
I think you are right. He is averaging 8.3 yards per carry so far this year. Nobody else on the team is averaging half that. Get him the ball.

Patterson...hmmm....do you think you could teach him a couple of things:

1) Line up in the slot - come in motion and take a direct hand off from the quarterback and run around end as fast as you can...and make people miss.

2) Line up in the slot - shallow circle to to the sideline getting a quick pass in the flat pitting him one on one with a safety in space.

Or does it take a few years to develop these skills in Brian's offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT