ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Observations

Deacon Hill WAS an awful Qb in his first year of starting at the college level. I mean you do know we all suck at things when we first try them or when we step up a level in them. I mean you are going to have a pretty short list of people who have walked into college and played their first year (and by all accounts it was his first year here and the first real game action he saw). So that was then and today is a new day. Let's just see how things go. You also know that Phil would pin his ears back and tee off on an inexperienced QB. So you don't think everyone did the same to us last year??? Or should we talk about when you struck out and sucked at pee wee baseball while we are at it?? Since you like to talk about the past.

last year wasn’t the first time deacon tried playing qb let alone it was his 3rd year in a college program. Not like he was a true frosh. To say he struggled was an understatement. Facts are he was statistically the WORST Qb in D1. Reality is he isn’t a D1 caliber Qb and why before Budmyr and Iowa came calling last minute he was going to play for FCS program at Fordham.

He showed zero improvement yesterday which begs the question. What is he good at or even decent at? What gives one optimism to think he could be a decent D1 player? Cause so far he’s shown poor accuracy (completion %), no touch, zero mobility, bad pocket presence, too many ints and horrendous ball security. Sorry some of us are realist and can see the guy just isn’t good at his craft or in over his head playing at D1 level. Wouldn’t be first case of this happening.

last year wasn’t the first time deacon tried playing qb let alone it was his 3rd year in a college program. Not like he was a true frosh. To say he struggled was an understatement. Facts are he was statistically the WORST Qb in D1. Reality is he isn’t a D1 caliber Qb and why before Budmyr and Iowa came calling last minute he was going to play for FCS program at Fordham.

He showed zero improvement yesterday which begs the question. What is he good at or even decent at? What gives one optimism to think he could be a decent D1 player? Cause so far he’s shown poor accuracy (completion %), no touch, zero mobility, bad pocket presence, too many ints and horrendous ball security. Sorry some of us are realist and can see the guy just isn’t good at his craft or in over his head playing at D1 level. Wouldn’t be first case of this happening.
I am not saying he is any good. What I am saying is it does no good sitting around talking about it. We had Marco who was not ready and we had Hill who had never started a game before and was in his first year of the second system of his very short college career. I am also saying just like a wounded animal, other teams smelled blood in the water and they exploited our weakness, AS THEY SHOULD HAVE. You put an inexperienced qb behind a sub par OL and idc who you are, it is going to get ugly, because everyone is going to tee off on you. Throw in the fact we did not have much experience going for us at WR and things really got ugly. It was not just one person or group. Again maybe he is not any good, but I am not going to say he can't be. I am not going to sit around talking about what happened last year. I mean I hear people saying "but Marco can run and we should have played him" yeah and how many running qb's make it through the season in the B10? So you wanted to take a kid who was just in HS not long ago and throw him to the wolves potentially injuring him? To do what, increase our chances in the games we lost by 1%?? So then we have 2 QB's in rehab right now? As the title to the one thread says, it is what it is. We got through the season and won some games even. We are pretty darn healthy now and we have a new system to look forward to. Today is a new day.

To bad everyone isn't as brilliant as you THINK you are. Your constant putting others down shows a real lack of intelligence on your part.
And with that, I am out of here.
Cmhawks is one of the least knowledgeable posters on this entire board…..& that’s a very low bar.

To anyone that knows fball, it’s beyond any doubt that Hill will never be even an average D1 QB.

I am not saying he is any good. What I am saying is it does no good sitting around talking about it. We had Marco who was not ready and we had Hill who had never started a game before and was in his first year of the second system of his very short college career. I am also saying just like a wounded animal, other teams smelled blood in the water and they exploited our weakness, AS THEY SHOULD HAVE. You put an inexperienced qb behind a sub par OL and idc who you are, it is going to get ugly, because everyone is going to tee off on you. Throw in the fact we did not have much experience going for us at WR and things really got ugly. It was not just one person or group. Again maybe he is not any good, but I am not going to say he can't be. I am not going to sit around talking about what happened last year. I mean I hear people saying "but Marco can run and we should have played him" yeah and how many running qb's make it through the season in the B10? So you wanted to take a kid who was just in HS not long ago and throw him to the wolves potentially injuring him? To do what, increase our chances in the games we lost by 1%?? So then we have 2 QB's in rehab right now? As the title to the one thread says, it is what it is. We got through the season and won some games even. We are pretty darn healthy now and we have a new system to look forward to. Today is a new day.
At least with Lester, he could have schemed a game plan for Marco Lainez to have a couple series to mix things up. Brian had no clue. It was so funny watching Jim Harbaugh in the Big Ten Title game when Michigan went up 10 to 0. He had this look of like pure relief and joy because he knew that even though it was in the first quarter, the game was already over. That’s crazy.

Lester has said he has installed 85% of his offense. Do you think he is lying?
Iowa could lead the nation in offense for the next eight years, and he’d still be waiting for them to prove it to him.

I mean I hear people saying "but Marco can run and we should have played him" yeah and how many running qb's make it through the season in the B10? So you wanted to take a kid who was just in HS not long ago and throw him to the wolves potentially injuring him? To do what, increase our chances in the games we lost by 1%?? So then we have 2 QB's in rehab right now? As the title to the one thread says, it is what it is. We got through the season and won some games even. We are pretty darn healthy now and we have a new system to look forward to. Today is a new day.
Interesting point thunderstruck1 & I appreciate you flipping the script to look at this objectively. Although they seem to give us fits early in games, over the last few years I've enjoyed how our defense over the course of a game absolutely pounds running QBs to the point they either don't get through the game or are severely limited by the end. Think Pedo St and the goofs 2 years a go. There are others. Yes the B1G (especially Iowa but we're not alone) are VERY hard on guys that tuck and run. The answer to me is still in our OLine. If they block well (haven't in years in my opinion except for a few true NFL guys like Wirfs & Lindy), our system can work. If they don't, we have what we've seen the last 3 years.

I get what you're saying. All good, logical questions that I think many have been asking, and understandably so.

For reference: Kirk has most often (always) spent his time during position periods with the OL. It's his passion. He's left his OCs do their thang, obviously with a mixed bag of results and maddening inconsistencies on O as a whole.

I've spoke to a few staff members and others close to the program and a consistent theme was, "Kirk has 100% given Tim of the keys to run his offense." Tim knows it best, as he has studied and crafted it from Shanahan - something Kirk hasn't done nor know where to start given his mega responsibilities for the entire program.

Other comments were that Kirk likes Tim's blocking schemes - they make sense - and he is loving teaching the new concepts and techniques. For certain. He's a teacher at heart.

Cheers!
Kirk has stated numerous times his idea of a perfect retirement is being an OL coach.

Reactions: Drinkin Buddy
Thankfully we are going to the helmet communications. No time wasted running a play in or watching the hand signals.

To bad everyone isn't as brilliant as you THINK you are. Your constant putting others down shows a real lack of intelligence on your part.
And with that, I am out of here.

Lol…. You guys keep falling into that trap over and over and over again you find me one spot where I said how brilliant I was I’ll wait….

And on a sidenote, if you’re waiting for me to stop talking shit to over the top overbearing assholes on a message board you’re gonna wait a long time anything else G?

If I’ve done my job successfully, and by your response, it appears I have. My being here should make it irritating and painful for anybody that constantly bitches just like you do, for the rest of us….

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to air that out….😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: GHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT