ADVERTISEMENT

Kalen Walker

omahawki

Team MVP
Dec 8, 2003
Has anybody seen this guy when he was in HS play football. The guy is a beast on the track right now for Iowa. World leader at 10:09 in the 100m and smoked a decent field in the South Florida Bulls Invite. Would be a decent WR or DB to get him to walk on to the football team.

Has anybody seen this guy when he was in HS play football. The guy is a beast on the track right now for Iowa. World leader at 10:09 in the 100m and smoked a decent field in the South Florida Bulls Invite. Would be a decent WR or DB to get him to walk on to the football team.
No doubt, just let him run straight down the field and throw him the ball…. Awesome….

Reminds me of the time Hayden had a sprinter off the track join the team. On his first play he was lined up a TE. He pretty much ran straight down the field with a linebacker trying to stay with him.
Hopefully someone here has a better recollection of it then me.

**Cough** Herb Grigsby **Cough**
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjIvMDIvYmUwYTgyMTItMjAyMjAyMjVfaW93YV90cmFja19maWVsZF9iMWdfaW5kb29yXzA5MC5qcGc.jpg

This guy does not remind me of Grigsby. He's built like a football player. At 10.0 in the 100 - Good luck trying to cover him on a fly or post pattern. Was not recruited much out of HS in track or football so went to a JUCO.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Reminds me of the time Hayden had a sprinter off the track join the team. On his first play he was lined up a TE. He pretty much ran straight down the field with a linebacker trying to stay with him.
This is more or less true. Entirely true is that the track guy ran straight down the west sideline and hauled in a touchdown pass of about 60 or 70 yards. It's a fact. You can look it up. I was there and saw it. Just one of the multitude of differences between KF and Hayden Fry. Hayden believed that scoring was a good thing, and when he didn't have all the tools necessary to get that job done, he went out and found some--in this case, on the Iowa track team.

Hopefully someone here has a better recollection of it than me.
Homecoming game in 1981 versus Indiana. Ironically the track sprinter’s name was Charles Jones.

Jones ran a fly pattern towards the south end zone. He was open by at least 15 yards. Gordy Bohannon him Jones in stride for a 51 yard touchdown.

Don’t recall Jones getting any more snaps that season.

This is more or less true. Entirely true is that the track guy ran straight down the west sideline and hauled in a touchdown pass of about 60 or 70 yards. It's a fact. You can look it up. I was there and saw it. Just one of the multitude of differences between KF and Hayden Fry. Hayden believed that scoring was a good thing, and when he didn't have all the tools necessary to get that job done, he went out and found some--in this case, on the Iowa track team.
No disrespect to our HOF coach Hayden Fry but fans sure do forget some of his bad years and poor offenses. Let's take the years 1992, 1993 and 1994 when in the middle of his coaching career at Iowa we had 3 non-winning seasons in a row and we were 16-18-1 over that period. In 1993 we were 6-6 and had no wins against a team with a winning record. We beat a 4-6-1 Tulsa by 1 point, and a 3-8 ISU by 3 points and a 2-9 Northwestern by 4 points.

The 1993 offense seemed good against poor teams but when we played a decent team the offense could not do anything. In our 6 losses that year we never scored more than 10 points in any one of those games and scored a total of 33 points or 5.5 points per game in our six losses. Three times we scored 3 points or less. Great offense by Hayden.

Maybe Hayden should have had a decent defense in 1994 when he was 5-5-1 and in the 5 losses the other team averaged 40.8 points per game. We did score 37 points on a 0-10-1 ISU, and 49 on a 3-7-1 Northwestern and 49 on a 3-8 Minnesota. Every loss was by 14+ points except 6-5 Indiana who we lost by 7 at home.

Let's also review 1989 when we were 5-6. Here are the points we scored in our 6 losses. 6,14,12,7,0,7 so we averaged 7.7 points per game in our 6 losses.

Kirk has a 71% winning percentage in the last 5 years with 3 10 win seasons. Winning at Iowa is not easy as Hayden's record indicates and his offenses were fun to watch against poor teams but in both 1989 and 1993 he had 4 games each year where they did not score more than 7 points. That is 35% of our games in those two years we did not score more than 7 points.

Charles "Not Charlie Chuck Sizzle" Jones. His only career play, catch, and TD.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I think Kalen would have to take a scholarship, right. If you have one in another sport, but also play football you have to go on the football list and take up a scholly and one of the 85 spots. I think...????

I think Kalen would have to take a scholarship, right. If you have one in another sport, but also play football you have to go on the football list and take up a scholly and one of the 85 spots. I think...????
If he's getting any track scholarship money that's correct. He could walk on in both sports if I'm not mistaken.

He would have to spend a a coupla years learning the playbook and proving he can block
:)

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjIvMDIvYmUwYTgyMTItMjAyMjAyMjVfaW93YV90cmFja19maWVsZF9iMWdfaW5kb29yXzA5MC5qcGc.jpg

This guy does not remind me of Grigsby. He's built like a football player. At 10.0 in the 100 - Good luck trying to cover him on a fly or post pattern. Was not recruited much out of HS in track or football so went to a JUCO.
He looks like a dude that never missed a leg day

Homecoming game in 1981 versus Indiana. Ironically the track sprinter’s name was Charles Jones.

Jones ran a fly pattern towards the south end zone. He was open by at least 15 yards. Gordy Bohannon him Jones in stride for a 51 yard touchdown.

Don’t recall Jones getting any more snaps that season.

Whatever happened to Jones? My Rhetoric professor was named Charles Jones and remember him saying he played football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT