ADVERTISEMENT

Kari Lake accused of defamation in suit filed by Arizona election official

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A key Republican election official in Arizona’s most populous county filed a defamation lawsuit on Thursday against Republican Kari Lake, the former television newscaster who narrowly lost her 2022 race for governor and has falsely blamed widespread fraud and malfeasance in the months since.

The lawsuit by Stephen Richer, a Republican who has served as recorder of Maricopa County since 2021, marks the most aggressive attempt to hold Lake and her allies accountable for election-related misinformation. It comes amid other efforts to make right-wing figures and media answerable for spreading election fabrications.

In the complaint, Richer alleges that Lake, her campaign and a nonprofit organization tied to her repeatedly and falsely accused him of causing Lake’s 2022 defeat. Lake and the two organizations, the complaint alleges, falsely claimed that Richer “sabotaged the election to prevent Republican candidates, including Lake, from winning.”

ADVERTISING

Richer’s complaint focuses on accusations made by Lake at campaign rallies, in podcasts and on social media that Richer intentionally caused polling place printers to jam on Election Day. The glitches caused temporary disruptions in tabulating the votes, but an independent review has found the problems were not pervasive and did not prevent people from voting.
Richer’s complaint claims that, during a “Save Arizona” rally in January, Lake “falsely and with actual malice” accused Richer of sabotaging the election by misprinting ballots. Lake added that Richer and Maricopa County Supervisor Bill Gates, also a Republican, “intentionally printed the wrong image on the ballot on Election Day so that those ballots would intentionally be spit out of the tabulators.”
“Well these guys are really, really terrible at running elections, but I found out they’re really good at lying,” Lake said at the rally.

The combination of heavier paper and longer ballots was responsible for problems tabulating votes at dozens of polling places in Maricopa County, according to a report released in April by a former chief justice of the Arizona Supreme Court. The same report found no evidence of malfeasance by county officials or contractors.
Richer also accused Lake of falsely claiming that he inserted 300,000 “phony” early-voting ballots into the Maricopa County system. In December, a judge ruled that there was no convincing evidence that ballots were mishandled in a way that would have affected the outcome of the Arizona election.
Richer’s complaint says that Lake continued making the false claims weeks after the Maricopa County Superior Court found that she provided “nothing more than ‘speculation’ and ‘conjecture’ to support her claims of intentional misconduct.”

Aides to Lake did not immediately respond to The Washington Post’s requests for comment.
In Maricopa County, the recorder is responsible for voter registration and early voting. County supervisors are responsible for Election Day operations.
Since her loss, Lake has regularly criticized county officials while insisting she remains the rightful winner of the governor’s race. She has been a frequent visitor to Donald Trump’s Florida residence, Mar-a-Lago, while weighing a bid for a Senate seat. Some Republicans view her as a possible contender to be Trump’s vice-presidential pick should he win the nomination for president.
After Trump lost Arizona in 2020, helping to doom his presidential reelection bid, he and his allies spread baseless claims that the election had been rigged, particularly in Maricopa County. Lake’s defeat in 2022 only deepened mistrust among conservative activists about the state’s voting systems and outcomes.

Richer, 37, said in an interview with The Post ahead of the complaint’s filing that misinformation spread about him by Lake and her affiliates has harmed his relationships with friends, family and past political supporters. He said he sees a direct link between rhetoric from Lake and her allies and threats against him.
At a rally of supporters in January, Lake displayed a photo of Richer for the crowd and accused him of lying about the 2022 election. Richer at times has been assigned a security detail by county law enforcement in response to threats and harassing communications, he said.
Richer said he now rarely attends political functions held by grass-roots GOP activists, many of whom remain convinced of malfeasance. At one point, he said, his wife was removed from a work event by law enforcement because of verbal attacks on him and her. He said the nonstop attacks have taken a mental and physical toll.

Richer said he has tried pushing back against the false claims on social media and through memos, press releases and news conferences. He said he worked with members of Lake’s team to answer questions they had during and after the 2022 election.
But none of that stopped the accusations from Lake and her supporters, he said, leading to his decision to sue.
“My name continues to be dragged through the mud in front of millions of her online viewers in various platforms,” he said. “And I felt that I needed to take the only recourse left.”
Dominion settlement tab may be just the start of Fox's financial woes
Public officials generally face a steep challenge in trying to prove defamation cases. But Richer and an attorney representing him from Protect Democracy, which describes itself as a “nonpartisan, anti-authoritarianism group,” said reams of public information show a disregard for the truth and, in their view, malice.

“They have repeated false claims about Stephen over the last several months again and again and again,” said Ben Berwick, who co-leads Protect Democracy’s elections and voting rights team. “The claims that are the basis for our complaint are obviously and provably false and she has repeated them even though she should know they are not true or was sort of recklessly blind to the fact that they are not true.”
Richer was elected recorder of Maricopa County, one of the most populous voting jurisdictions in the nation, in 2020, unseating a Democrat who had held the seat. Richer splits election duties with the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors, which is controlled by Republicans. In 2021, Richer created a political action committee to support “pro-democracy” Republican candidates — a move that Lake has criticized.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
There's no justification for half of voting machines to not work on election day. At best it is gross incompetence. Given the weight of the impact (assuming it was incompetence even) I still think jail time is appropriate and reasonable for the election officials.

There's no justification for half of voting machines to not work on election day. At best it is gross incompetence. Given the weight of the impact (assuming it was incompetence even) I still think jail time is appropriate and reasonable for the election officials.

The issues with the "voting machines" (they are "tabulators" according to this article) had nothing to do with the votes on the ballots. The machines were not able to read the date marks on the ballots because when they were printed it was not dark enough. I know it caused frustrations and delays but it was quickly identified and fixes were made. I know that is just the kind of fuel you love to start a conspiracy theory with, but nothing sinister was at play here.

So that said, I'm curious what crimes were committed and PROVIDE legitimate proof they happened (Quotes from Trump or Lake aren't proof, sorry).

Reactions: cigaretteman
The issues with the "voting machines" (they are "tabulators" according to this article) had nothing to do with the votes on the ballots. The machines were not able to read the date marks on the ballots because when they were printed it was not dark enough. I know it caused frustrations and delays but it was quickly identified and fixes were made. I know that is just the kind of fuel you love to start a conspiracy theory with, but nothing sinister was at play here.

So that said, I'm curious what crimes were committed and PROVIDE legitimate proof they happened (Quotes from Trump or Lake aren't proof, sorry).

It was caused in large part because someone misprinted the ballots to be smaller scale than they were supposed to be. Several hour lines deterred people from staying around to vote. Not exactly a "quick fix" by any objective measure. It was also stated in court that the misprint could not have been accidental and required intent to execute. It could not have been done by mistake.

It was caused in large part because someone misprinted the ballots to be smaller scale than they were supposed to be. Several hour lines deterred people from staying around to vote. Not exactly a "quick fix" by any objective measure. It was also stated in court that the misprint could not have been accidental and required intent to execute. It could not have been done by mistake.
You’re stupid and Kari lake is living in mar a lago fvcking Donald trump right now

It wasn't a misprint, they were printed correctly, just not dark enough. I know reading is hard so let me help you:

In Maricopa County, printers at polling sites produce ballots on demand so that voters can vote at any location in the county, rather than being assigned a polling place. The formatting marks on the ballots produced by some printers weren’t being printed dark enough for the tabulators to read, officials said.

Once identified there were alternatives given to voters, to go to a different site or come back later.

It seems you're going to double-down on your lack of knowledge of the facts of this case and just toe the line put forth by Trump, Lake and other righties. Your argument will certainly prevail in the right-wing court of opinion, but when taken to a court of law, it won't hold up. Trump tried this 60 some times and lost every time due to lack of credible evidence (a whole other conspiracy I'm sure).

Last edited:
It wasn't a misprint, they were printed correctly, just not dark enough. I know reading is hard so let me help you:

In Maricopa County, printers at polling sites produce ballots on demand so that voters can vote at any location in the county, rather than being assigned a polling place. The formatting marks on the ballots produced by some printers weren’t being printed dark enough for the tabulators to read, officials said.

Once identified there were alternatives given to voters, to go to a different site or come back later.

It seems you're going to double-down on your lack of knowledge of the facts of this case and just tow the line put forth by Trump, Lake and other righties. Your argument will certainly prevail in the right-wing court of opinion, but when taken to a court of law, it won't hold up. Trump tried this 60 some times and lost every time due to lack of credible evidence (a whole other conspiracy I'm sure).

Not seeing anything about printer tone mentioned.. the justification for misprints was that they could then be counted later behind closed doors. Not acceptable. Again. I am not even saying the failures in the election were fully intended, but that doesn't change the fact that the people running the elections ****ed up royally.

That’s because you have no morality.
I don't care about Donald Trump or who he's sleeping with. I don't want him to run for president and think he should be ineligible. I've said this many times on this platform.

Not seeing anything about printer tone mentioned.. the justification for misprints was that they could then be counted later behind closed doors. Not acceptable. Again. I am not even saying the failures in the election were fully intended, but that doesn't change the fact that the people running the elections ****ed up royally.
It’s sad watching crazy people and hoping they’ll realize they’re crazy and take the medicine.

Mistakes perhaps. Criminal activity? Hardly. Didn't change any votes or the outcome of the election. Just hurt the efficiency of counting ballots, which were still counted properly and would have been hand counted a second time in the recount. The damage was the fuel to the conspiracy theorists who refuse to accept the outcome of an election their guy lost.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Mistakes perhaps. Criminal activity? Hardly. Didn't change any votes or the outcome of the election. Just hurt the efficiency of counting ballots, which were still counted properly and would have been hand counted a second time in the recount. The damage was the fuel to the conspiracy theorists who refuse to accept the outcome of an election their guy lost.
The problem is there is no possible way to quantify how many people chose not to vote after seeing 2 hour lines caused by gross incompetence. With faith in our elections at an all time low this cannot happen. These people at minimum should never be allowed to have their hands in another election again. There is zero way for them to restore voter confidence in them at this point.

The problem is there is no possible way to quantify how many people chose not to vote after seeing 2 hour lines caused by gross incompetence. With faith in our elections at an all time low this cannot happen. These people at minimum should never be allowed to have their hands in another election again. There is zero way for them to restore voter confidence in them at this point.

Those that run the elections are elected officials, so I guess if there is not faith in the elections then they will get voted out. It also seems that since 2020 there has been a push to firm up these sort of errors that erode election confidence, but no election will ever be 100% error free.

The problem now is Trump trying to get people in place who would unfairly obstruct or overturn an election and the will of the people just because they can't stomach losing.

Those that run the elections are elected officials, so I guess if there is not faith in the elections then they will get voted out. It also seems that since 2020 there has been a push to firm up these sort of errors that erode election confidence, but no election will ever be 100% error free.

The problem now is Trump trying to get people in place who would unfairly obstruct or overturn an election and the will of the people just because they can't stomach losing.
Trump just needs to get out of politics in general imo. We'd all be better off for it.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

I love it when Republicans feast upon the faces of other Republicans. What's going on in states like Arizona, Michigan, Minnesota and a few other states are insane. Backstabbing, incompetence, and an inability to raise money all lead to dysfunction in November.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT