ADVERTISEMENT

Keegan Murray NBA

BrunoMars420

HB Legend
Feb 14, 2016
Per the Athletic:

18. Keegan Murray | 6-8 forward | 20 years old | Iowa​

Murray is a really interesting two-way prospect who is coming off an All-Freshman team appearance in the Big Ten. He’s a legitimate weakside rim protector at 6-foot-8 who has a great sense of timing and real length that allows him to high point the ball on defense. His activity and mobility, despite having a big 220-pound frame, are impressive.

Offensively, he only hit about 30 percent from 3 last year, but his mechanics look very projectable and he has great touch. As a driver, his body control is real and allows him to contort around the rim for high-level finishes. With Joe Wieskamp, Luka Garza and C.J. Fredrick all gone, I anticipate Murray stepping into an enormous role at Iowa and breaking out in a big way.

2022 NBA Mock Draft: Paolo Banchero, Chet Holmgren lead class that’s still seeking visibility
https://theathletic.com/2727138/202...eeking-visibility/?source=user_shared_article

Watching all those draft picks go to guys who averaged like 9ppg and 5 rebounds made me sad inside. Keegan has the athleticism AND skill to easily be first round. I think he will be similar to Harrison Barnes when it’s all said and done, maybe even a better shooter at the NBA level.

Watching all those draft picks go to guys who averaged like 9ppg and 5 rebounds made me sad inside. Keegan has the athleticism AND skill to easily be first round. I think he will be similar to Harrison Barnes when it’s all said and done, maybe even a better shooter at the NBA level.
Its the defensive versatility that makes him so attractive.

Keegan is special because he improves your chances of winning in so many different ways that most players don't impact and you never have to run plays for him.

Hes reminds me of a longer Mikal Bridges.

Last edited:
Harrison Barnes? Lol

He will definitely be the man this year but lets see if the cast around him can take the pressure off him to where we have other scoring options like we had last year.
People had to concentrate on stopping Garza, Wieskamp & Fredrick which gave Keegan a lot of opportunities. But the sky's the limit for this young man and he has the potential!

He could easily be a first-round pick and Iowa would not get to the Sweet 16. Iowa had 2 2nd round picks and Murray on the team this year and got routed in the round of 32.
Yep, the days where having future nba players equated to college success are long gone because they are two different animals.

And usually future nba players don't stick around long in college.

Per the Athletic:

18. Keegan Murray | 6-8 forward | 20 years old | Iowa​

Murray is a really interesting two-way prospect who is coming off an All-Freshman team appearance in the Big Ten. He’s a legitimate weakside rim protector at 6-foot-8 who has a great sense of timing and real length that allows him to high point the ball on defense. His activity and mobility, despite having a big 220-pound frame, are impressive.

Offensively, he only hit about 30 percent from 3 last year, but his mechanics look very projectable and he has great touch. As a driver, his body control is real and allows him to contort around the rim for high-level finishes. With Joe Wieskamp, Luka Garza and C.J. Fredrick all gone, I anticipate Murray stepping into an enormous role at Iowa and breaking out in a big way.

2022 NBA Mock Draft: Paolo Banchero, Chet Holmgren lead class that’s still seeking visibility
https://theathletic.com/2727138/202...eeking-visibility/?source=user_shared_article

Keegan is special.

Whoa! I am excited to see what both Murray brothers can do this year, but especially to see if Keegan can take the major step to being a consistent factor in Iowa victories. You guys that already have him in the NBA need to cut him some slack. They arrived at Iowa as unranked high schoolers. They've only had one year to get their feet wet. What we've seen is not the finished product.

Whoa! I am excited to see what both Murray brothers can do this year, but especially to see if Keegan can take the major step to being a consistent factor in Iowa victories. You guys that already have him in the NBA need to cut him some slack. They arrived at Iowa as unranked high schoolers. They've only had one year to get their feet wet. What we've seen is not the finished product.
I mean it's not just the people on this forum, unless the people doing the mock drafts are included in you guys lol and not seeing the finished product is kindve the reason he's being mocked in next years draft the way he is. He flashed major potential last year and that's what the nba wants.

Yah it’s called potential and his ceiling

As a driver, his body control is real and allows him to contort around the rim for high-level finishes.
I agree here and would go a step further and say that defensively, he has good control here as well, not having to continually move when defending. I suppose his length and quick reaction helps his positioning defensively. It seems to me that some players have to expend more energy than others defensively, but in Keegan's defensive play, it's smooth and seems to consume less energy. In other words, he's smooth and quick defensively.

Well the lack of travelling in the NBA will certainly improve Ke Murray's ability to get to the hoop.

I'm thinking we pump the brakes just a little. I share the belief that Keegan is going to be a star. However, maybe we should wait until he actually becomes a star to worry about losing him the the ridiculous NBA.

Getting three seasons out of Ke Murray is, I think, the most likely scenario. Keegan doesn't have the urgent financial need of some kids that leave prematurely. He also has very knowledgeable advisers around him that don't have a financial stake in Keegan getting that first NBA contract (e.g. not Brittney Spears or Lindsey Lohan's family) . Plus, Keegan might be a kid that views graduation as an important accomplishment as he plans for life after the NBA or Euro checks stop, and they will stop and, like most athletes, probably not at a time of Keegan's choosing.

Unless he blows up into a high first round, where the guaranteed money is simply too much to reject I think Keegan will play at least three seasons and graduate before he leaves early, if he does, in fact, leave early.

One last thing, Keegan and Kris are two guys that actually have black and gold in their DNA. That's gotta count for something.​

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Well the lack of travelling in the NBA will certainly improve Ke Murray's ability to get to the hoop.

I'm thinking we pump the brakes just a little. I share the belief that Keegan is going to be a star. However, maybe we should wait until he actually becomes a star to worry about losing him the the ridiculous NBA.

Getting three seasons out of Ke Murray is, I think, the most likely scenario. Keegan doesn't have the urgent financial need of some kids that leave prematurely. He also has very knowledgeable advisers around him that don't have a financial stake in Keegan getting that first NBA contract (e.g. not Brittney Spears or Lindsey Lohan's family) . Plus, Keegan might be a kid that views graduation as an important accomplishment as he plans for life after the NBA or Euro checks stop, and they will stop and, like most athletes, probably not at a time of Keegan's choosing.

Unless he blows up into a high first round, where the guaranteed money is simply too much to reject I think Keegan will play at least three seasons and graduate before he leaves early, if he does, in fact, leave early.

One last thing, Keegan and Kris are two guys that actually have black and gold in their DNA. That's gotta count for something.​
The thing is he won't have to be a star in college to get drafted.

He has the perfect game to compliment stars in the nba.

Agree that Keegan is heading in that direction. Just not sure he's there yet.

I think he has potential to be more than a mere "compliment." Maybe not a star but certainly a starter. I think he's a kid that would gain more from two seasons more at Iowa than a season or two in the D league.

Keegan appears to have a bright future with nice basketball money featuring a prominent part.

Agree that Keegan is heading in that direction. Just not sure he's there yet.

I think he has potential to be more than a mere "compliment." Maybe not a star but certainly a starter. I think he's a kid that would gain more from two seasons more at Iowa than a season or two in the D league.

Keegan appears to have a bright future with nice basketball money featuring a prominent part.
Any potential NBA player would gain way more in the G league compared to the hawks. Going against grown ass men who use to be in the NBA, better competition, and dealing with the rigors of what the NBA would be like. He would be getting all the tools needed plus more with the help of NBA veterans in the g league compared to getting bounced in round 2 at Iowa.

Please don't put the sophomore jinx on this kid as the next big thing in Iowa basketball. If he's great and can go to the NBA, it's really good for him and good for us. Putting a bunch of pressure on him to be something he may not be, can't be good for anyone.

Please don't put the sophomore jinx on this kid as the next big thing in Iowa basketball. If he's great and can go to the NBA, it's really good for him and good for us. Putting a bunch of pressure on him to be something he may not be, can't be good for anyone.
Tell that to the national media. If he can’t handle the pressure of being a NBA prospect then he is doing it wrong. He seems to have a great head on his shoulders and a great family. I think he will do great with these pre season accolades

Reactions: icwesthawk
Any potential NBA player would gain way more in the G league compared to the hawks. Going against grown ass men who use to be in the NBA, better competition, and dealing with the rigors of what the NBA would be like. He would be getting all the tools needed plus more with the help of NBA veterans in the g league compared to getting bounced in round 2 at Iowa.
Not to mention the benefits of focusing exclusively on basketball versus basketball + school

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Crappy thing is I could see Iowa competing in the top 5 of the B1G during the '22-'23 season. If they lose Keegan early that likely doesn't happen.

It really is amazing how many people don't get this?

If the NBA drafted on your star credentials in college than Luka would have been a lottery pick.

The NBA drafts on potential and versatility. If Keegan can shoot the 3 ball at close to 40% I don't see him staying because the NBA will be beating down his door.

Posted this in the Lounge, just sharing here for FWIW.

Yeah, Keegan will definitely have to improve but I think he is likely to be gone after this season for these reasons:

1. Age REALLY matters in the NBA draft, and he will be on the older side already after this season (as a poster mentioned)

2. He will be REALLY good this season, barring injury, and he is a 2 way player not just a role player. He may lack the ability to create 1 vs 1 his first few years, but he can do almost everything else

3. He is a very efficient player who makes great decisions and has A+ intangibles and very solid athleticism for the next level.

The only thing that gives me pause is him wanting to play with his brother, but I think him leaving also expands his brothers playing time and chances at the NBA and so I think him wanting to avoid getting too old will trump that concern / opportunity and that he will go.

A comparison to a player in this year's draft would be Trey Murhpy from Virginia. His profile:

ATTRIBUTETREY MURPHYKEEGAN MURRAY
SchoolVirginiaIowa
YearJunior ('20-21)Sophmore ('21-22)
Drafted17th10-30 (?)
Age at Draft21 years, 1 month21 years, 11 months
Height (with shoes)6'9.25"6'9" (?)
Weight206215 (?)
Wingspan7'0"7'0" (?) (was 6'11" at DME at 6'8")
Standing Reach8'9.5"8'8.0" (?) (was 8'7" at DME at 6'8")
Max Vertical38" (JW 42")38-40" (?) (was 36" at DME)
3/4 Court Sprint3.14 sec (JW 3.04)3.08 (?)
Lane Agility11.65 sec (JW 10.70)10.4 at DME (?) - 10.7 (?)
Shuttle Run3.32 sec (JW 3.18)3.52 at DME - 3.30 (?)
Points per 100 possessions25.1?? (22.6 last year)
Rebounds per 100 possessions7.6?? (11.3 last year)
Assists per 100 possessions2.7?? (1.2 last year)
Blocks per per 100 possessions1.0?? (3.9 last year)
Steals per 100 possessions1.8?? (1.9 last year)
Turnovers per 100 possessions1.7?? (2.0 last year)
FT %92.7%?? (75.5% last year) (86.2% at DME)
3 PT %43.3% (36.8% as Soph)?? (29.6% last year) (38.1% at DME)
2 PT %62.0% (57.1% as Soph)?? (60.7% last year) (62.2% at DME)
Effective Shooting %63.9% (55.8% as Soph?? (55.4%)
PER (Player Efficiency Rating - higher is better)20.923.4
Offensive Rating (high is good, 100 is ave)129.8122.1
Defensive Rating (low is good, 100 is ave)102.095.5

As you can see, while Trey is an elite shooter, Keegan scores inside at a similar efficiency and is only lacking from the 3 point line and FT line. He also can get better in the assist category so passing is another opportunity to focus on.

In all other categories - athleticism, rebounding, blocks, steals and so forth, he is already a stronger producer if you project his efficiency and growth into more minutes next season. He's already bigger and I believe will test to be faster than Trey Murphy, in addition to having better defensive numbers.

I think Keegan will average 15-18 ppg this season and around 7.5 rebounds, while pushing his 3 point percentage to around 34% and his FT percentage over 80%.

The things he should work on imo:
  • Passing ability - that 1.2 assists per 100 possessions isn't great
  • 3 Point shooting - based on DME I'd say he's already a 33% shooter, ideally would get to 36% or better
  • Creating off the dribble - can he beat a set defender off the bounce at the NBA level? Not sure.
  • Interior moves from a set position (post or offensive rebound) - not a wide arsenal shown last year. Strength will help.
I do believe he will be projected into the first round, and perhaps the lottery, and that he will go early because of his projected age at the time of the draft will be almost 22 years old (23 the following year if he waits). Don't underestimate the willingness of NBA teams to draft younger players in the 1st round 1-2 years before they are actually ready for serious NBA minutes. The stats of many of the first round players are actually quite underwhelming for many of them - it's about where they project to be.

I couldn't be higher about what Keegan brings to the table and what he'll be able to do next year without Garza demanding touches and without Wieskamp or Nunge. He could average 8 ppg just on offensive rebounds and transition points alone, so as long as he's healthy and gets 30 mpg+ he's going to be fantastic imo.

KM isn't leaving til he break all his dads numbers, he's gonna enjoy all the time he can playing with his bro!

:)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT