ADVERTISEMENT

Kent State game details

JayIrwin95

Scout Team
Aug 26, 2006
Taking my family of 5 to the game. For my youngest her first for my other 2 they last attended 9 years ago. We took the Iowa train into the game. I know that isn't up and running any more. Suggestions on what to do if we arrive early is there much to do? Best ways to get to the game? Parking?
Any information helps. Go Hawks!

Taking my family of 5 to the game. For my youngest her first for my other 2 they last attended 9 years ago. We took the Iowa train into the game. I know that isn't up and running any more. Suggestions on what to do if we arrive early is there much to do? Best ways to get to the game? Parking?
Park downtown. There is a free ramp over by the courthouse. Ride the bus (free) to the game. Pickup is at the pentacrest and drop-off is outside Boyd tower of the hospital. Hancer lot is another option..but also a bus ride. If you dont have a regular tailgate spot that is pretty much your own option.

Reactions: JayIrwin95
Park downtown. There is a free ramp over by the courthouse. Ride the bus (free) to the game. Pickup is at the pentacrest and drop-off is outside Boyd tower of the hospital. Hancer lot is another option..but also a bus ride. If you dont have a regular tailgate spot that is pretty much your own option.
How late do buses run after for the free ramp by courthouse? How often picking up at pentacrest after?

Did you buy your tickets through the university? If so, call them and get a parking pass. You never know what’s going to be available but you be able to easily walk.

We park in the softball lot across from the wig and pen and the Vine along the Coralville strip. It’s a big grass area with plenty of room for tailgating. You can take a football or bags game and some food and have a pretty easy tailgate with your family. Lots of kids will be playing football there and having a blast. The walk to the stadium from there takes a good 20 minutes but it’s a fun walk as you’ll walk through all the tailgating areas along the way, seeing some pretty great tailgating ideas.

After the game when you get to your car it only takes a couple minutes to get into the traffic of the Coralville strip. You’ll be on I80 within minutes and on your way home. Cost of parking is $25. This is what I do when I want a stress free tailgate with my kids. Even if all you want to do is park and walk up it’s still a good option.

Parking is free at the university lots near Hancher and they run free shuttle buses that will drop you off near northside of UIHC/Dental School building. Free shuttles will run you back but the wait can be long for the buses right after the game, it's a fairly easy 20-30 minute walk back to the Hancher lots if you don't want to wait in that line.

Reactions: iahawks10
You want a pass in Ramp 4 a block from stadium? Have an extra I can sell you.

I’d park at the Finkbine golf course lot. Easy walk to the stadium and plenty of space to hang out before and after the game

Parking is free at the university lots near Hancher and they run free shuttle buses that will drop you off near northside of UIHC/Dental School building. Free shuttles will run you back but the wait can be long for the buses right after the game, it's a fairly easy 20-30 minute walk back to the Hancher lots if you don't want to wait in that line.

This would be my suggestion with kids and arriving early. The kids can play while the adults tailgate. There’s plenty of open area and grass for games.

I’d even say it’s a 20 min walk (at most, with little ones). Best part about Hancher is getting right out and on the interstate in a few minutes.

Reactions: win4jj
RIP the train. Thought it was a huge resource that was also super cool.

Just one more thing to add to the Kinnick experience.
The IU Athletic Dept. should resurrect that resource. I mean, B10 disbursements will reach $70M+ per year very soon, its affordable. I never boarded the train but I it is my understaning that the rides were free. Charge a couple bucks whatever... hordes of people will still use it. Might fill (or add) a seats at the game as parking is a huge consideration for the casual fan that wants to travel and attend a game every so often.

Reactions: iahawks10 and IAGuy
Lots of places to park that are free and a relatively easy walk assuming nobody with mobility issues.
I've parked at just about all the major spots suggested. Downtown was the one I always liked the most. Plenty of places to get something to eat and drink and a nice meander through the east campus area before heading across the river over to Kinnick. Stop in at the MU, meet up with people tailgating near the library, make your way through the crowd on Melrose.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
The IU Athletic Dept. should resurrect that resource. I mean, B10 disbursements will reach $70M+ per year very soon, its affordable. I never boarded the train but I it is my understaning that the rides were free. Charge a couple bucks whatever... hordes of people will still use it. Might fill (or add) a seats at the game as parking is a huge consideration for the casual fan that wants to travel and attend a game every so often.
I think it will be back, just more post covid. Guessing masks would have been mandatory for all on it as they are required on the buses and there probably would have been some battles with that.

Reactions: IAGuy

I thought they charged like $10-$15 to ride it, but parking was free. I very well could be wrong about that, because I never used it.

I thought it was a great idea and perfect for a town like Iowa City without a traditional rail service. Anytime you can get people away from a stadium quickly, without car traffic is nice.

I thought the traffic near Hancher was quite a bit more than I remember from the last few years. Nothing terrible, but certainly more. I figured that some of this was due to people not parking at the mall anymore. I also thought I remember hearing that the train closing wasn’t Covid related. I also hope that the school or a private party bring it back. It was a very cool idea.

I thought they charged like $10-$15 to ride it, but parking was free. I very well could be wrong about that, because I never used it.

I thought it was a great idea and perfect for a town like Iowa City without a traditional rail service. Anytime you can get people away from a stadium quickly, without car traffic is nice.

I thought the traffic near Hancher was quite a bit more than I remember from the last few years. Nothing terrible, but certainly more. I figured that some of this was due to people not parking at the mall anymore. I also thought I remember hearing that the train closing wasn’t Covid related. I also hope that the school or a private party bring it back. It was a very cool idea.
You’re correct, it was in that range. I kind of thought it was a cash grab considering they’re collecting that amount per person. It definitely adds up if you do it for a whole family over multiple games. I’m a huge fan of the shuttles.

Reactions: iahawks10
You’re correct, it was in that range. I kind of thought it was a cash grab considering they’re collecting that amount per person. It definitely adds up if you do it for a whole family over multiple games. I’m a huge fan of the shuttles.
Which shuttles have you used/recommend?

Do they still cram about 500 people on the shuttle buses?

It was up to $15 per adult. I believe 12 and under was free. So good deal for families with younger kids. We used it all the time. Kids loved the train. We would have even paid something for the kids tickets if needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT