ADVERTISEMENT

Keys to NW win....

Hawkeyestate81

HB All-American
Feb 21, 2012
Polk City, Iowa
D has to get turnovers and possibly even a score, need to get some good returns from King on PR to set up field position. This is going to be old school KF slobber knocker type of game. With how decimated we are I still like our D being able to hold them in check as we are great vs the run which is their strength. Since they are not good at passing need to bring some pressure to gain the advanatge on the edge still with no Ott. O just can't turn it over and can still survive this one. Comeon D put out a big ole FIRE this week with the injuries!

CJB will be the difference. For the first time in awhile we will have the better qb on the field in This matchup and he needs to control the game.

The big question is simply this - will Iowa be able to score against Northwestern's talented D?

Iowa's D is talented and Northwestern's O is rather 1-dimensional. I'd be absolutely shocked if this game is a high scoring affair. Consequently, if not many points are going to get scored - what can Iowa do in order to ensure that it scores more points?

1. Northwestern has an excellent DL that can and will get pressure on Beathard. Michigan's Rudock had success because he makes quick decisions and quickly took what the D was giving him. In other words, Michigan out "dinked and dunked" Northwestern. This helped keep Michigan relatively on schedule. Sacks and TFLs are potential drive killers - so keeping on schedule is important. The point ... Beathard likely won't have time to hold onto the ball too long. Hopefully he'll see the field well and take what the D gives him.
  2. The OL needs to continue to block strong in the running game. The sledding should be tough against Northwestern, but there are yards to be had. It will be important to keep the D off the field.
  3. Hopefully Beathard is healthy enough to run during passing plays if nobody is open. This is very deflating to Ds - and Northwestern is built similarly enough to us that they can be susceptible to QBs who can use their feet.
  4. While Northwestern has good LBs ... the shorter passing game to the TEs, FBs, and RBs should be there. Iowa will need to take it if it's there.

Turnovers
Field Position
Have a big play or 2 on offense. Wisconsin game neither team really had a huge play yardage wise.

NW will load the box and absolutely will not allow us to run the football. If we don't come out prepared to throw it, similar to Pitt...we are going to struggle. With the injuries in our offensive line, Fitz is going to take something away...and it's our running game. He wants us in second and third and long, so he can then go after Beathard. It's not rocket science. We better chip the ends and release to give our tackles help, and I think we can throw on them. I seriously expect CJ to take more shots deep downfield than any other game. Fitz will be playing man with the corners, and we need to come up big there. I hope we throw on first down to loosen them up...and play aggressive offensively. NW has the ability to load the box and shut down our running game...if we don't force them out of it with passes on first down...it won't bode well.

Frankly I think we need to go old school on them... Run the ball and stop the run.

If Iowa can establish the run it opens up play action and forces NW to put that 8 or 9th man in the box then we can let GDGD have his ultimate wish of opening up the horizontal game

On defense just be stout against the run, allow King to man up their #1 and take him away no matter where he lines up!

Don't let dick vitale beat us... That PTP'er lol kidding I mean Vitale.

Blitz out of the raider and get after their QB.... Force to's and trust the secondary.

Frankly I think we need to go old school on them... Run the ball and stop the run.

If Iowa can establish the run it opens up play action and forces NW to put that 8 or 9th man in the box then we can let GDGD have his ultimate wish of opening up the horizontal game

On defense just be stout against the run, allow King to man up their #1 and take him away no matter where he lines up!

Don't let dick vitale beat us... That PTP'er lol kidding I mean Vitale.

Blitz out of the raider and get after their QB.... Force to's and trust the secondary.

-Go big-on-big on first offensive possession and run the ball down their throat
-Big bodies slamming into each other - good for Iowa, bad for NW's valedictorians
-Keep the damn ball
-Seal the edge on defense - Justin Jackson will want to run laterally against us
-Force 2 or more turnovers
-Mabin not getting smoked in pass coverage
-Get off the field on 3rd down - Raider package was very effective vs. NW last year

I am in the minority that I think we are going to need to throw the ball well to win. They are going to add an extra in the box and crash the weak side all day on us. Need to be able to throw it.

It's a simple recipe to beat this Northwestern team. Don't turn the ball over. Be able to run the ball and stop the run. That's it.

Keys to victory is the ability to protect CJ. Roll him out to the TE side. TE must be used for a chip block and have the FB pass blocking more. We have to protect CJ. OL can run block very well we need them to step up in the passing game.

Defense needs to play fast and create TO's and possibly get a pick 6.

Iowa 17- 6

It's a simple recipe to beat this Northwestern team. Don't turn the ball over. Be able to run the ball and stop the run. That's it.

This. If we can force NW to pass we will turn them over. I have my doubts that NW can take the run away from us even in our depleted position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT