ADVERTISEMENT

-KF Press Conference Notes-

Apr 8, 2003
Rough quotes and notes from Kirk Ferentz's press conference in Iowa City today.
---
Opening Statement

First of all, I appreciate your understanding about yesterday's postponement. LIke all of us, our thoughts and prayers are with the Sash family. A very difficult ordeal. Appreciate everybody that's shown support around the state including from Iowa State. Their support is very much appreciated. Want to thank you for your respect also.

Tyler was a special young man, had a great career here, high energy player, great young man. My first exposure to him was in youth league basketball. His team played our son, James, and Tyler's team beat them 40-36 that day and Tyler scored 36 of the 40. I remember calling him on his way back from the state track meet his junior year and offering him. Very appreciated to have him in the program. He was one of our own.

---

Couple words about last week, positive start to the season. Very appreciative of our fans. One game, a lot to work no.

Captains, Ott and Lomax on defense, and Blythe and Beathard on offense.

A couple guys dinged up, maybe game time decisions, but pretty good shape overall.

This is my 26th experience with this rivalry this year. Exciting game for the players that grew up in the state. Special thing to have an opportunity to play in this game, exciting environment.

Exceptional thing because you don't see many rivalry games that involve two big conferences like this one.

---

Q: Happy with backups Saturday? KF: Happy they got an opportunity. Invaluable experience. Some things looked better than others as you'd imagine.

Q: Game like this showcase the talent here? KF: Something we're really proud of. During my time away from the program, thought long and hard about why it all happened the way it did. Came back to the core of our teams, heart and soul, come from this state. Important for this game and overall. All starts with the coaching and play in our high schools, corner to corner in the state.

Q: How did DT's play Saturday? KF: Those guys have slipped under the radar for whatever reason unlike the offensive guys. Carl made the Ravens and Louis on the practice squad in St. Louis, so we lost two excellent players. Jaleel and Bazata did a nice job and hopefully will continue moving forward.

Q: A lot of newcomers and JUCO's at Iowa State, how do you scout those? KF: Kind of like a tale of two cities. Very veteran offensively and have an identity. Defensively, a lot of new faces and a lot of new energy. It's like preparing for a first game in week two because those are players we haven't seen on tape before.

Q: Most improvement from week one to two hasn't really happened the last two years? KF: We're looking for improvement week to week and day to day. Critical with what we do here. Historically, we grow as the season goes and we can't waste a day. If we want to win the game, we have to improve.

Q: Would you agree it didn't work out that way the last two years? KF: That's fair to say.

Q: Kittle sat out second half with ice on his knee, is he okay? KF: He has a strain. He has a chance. Hoping he can play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News