ADVERTISEMENT

Kid reels in a whopper while fishing in Lake of the Woods, MN

SeaPA

HR Heisman
Dec 17, 2002
Connor Halsa was on a fishing trip at Lake of the Woods, Minnesota, when he caught a wallet brimming with dollars – although he did think it was a ‘big fish’ at first.
The 14-year-old told ABC’s WDAY-TV: “My cousin opened the wallet up, and he said some words you probably shouldn't say, and he showed everyone.”
Inside was a business card with a telephone number on and a whole $2,000.

The wallet owner was an old farmer from Iowa - any of you know Jim Denney?

That's a neat story.

I go fishing on Lake of the Woods on the Canada side every year with a group that has been going for decades and they always tell a story about how one of them lost a fishing pole in one of the bays we fish and then about 5 years later, another one of the members of the group happened to snag it and bring it back in.

I would put the chances of that happening almost lower than winning the lottery.

Holy cow what a story.

That's a neat story.

I go fishing on Lake of the Woods on the Canada side every year with a group that has been going for decades and they always tell a story about how one of them lost a fishing pole in one of the bays we fish and then about 5 years later, another one of the members of the group happened to snag it and bring it back in.

Ha, I've caught TWO fishing poles in my lake over the years; one a little kid's Zebco, the other an old spinning reel that had been down there for a long time.

My strangest catch ever was some shallow water in the Gulf. My boys were little & I knew they'd catch some grunts in this area, so I dropped anchor & let them fish for a bit. Had a very tough time pulling the anchor back up because it was snagged on something. I finally got it moving & hoisted it up on the deck of the pontoon boat...I'd dropped it right into an old, lost crab trap (the buoy had broken off, so it had just been sitting on the bottom & had sunk down into the muck.

Ha, I've caught TWO fishing poles in my lake over the years; one a little kid's Zebco, the other an old spinning reel that had been down there for a long time.

My strangest catch ever was some shallow water in the Gulf. My boys were little & I knew they'd catch some grunts in this area, so I dropped anchor & let them fish for a bit. Had a very tough time pulling the anchor back up because it was snagged on something. I finally got it moving & hoisted it up on the deck of the pontoon boat...I'd dropped it right into an old, lost crab trap (the buoy had broken off, so it had just been sitting on the bottom & had sunk down into the muck.

Two is impressive, but this was funny because it was one they knew someone in the group had lost years before! Ha!

That's wild about the crab trap.....had to of been like "WTF am I bringing up????"

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

I have caught, or witnessed, several "finds" from the bottom of the lake/river over the years. But my favorite related story is of the time several years ago when I took both of my boys fishing on a lake in SE Iowa and we went in my boat.

While out on the water, one of my boys spotted a snagged lure on a log sticking up out of the water. It was apparent that some poor bank fisherman had snagged it and had to break it off. Well, we slid up to it and nabbed it and dropped it in our tackle box.

Fast forward to the next day at church when I was talking with a friend of mine and mentioned that we had been out fishing the day before, etc, etc. He asked where, I told him and he said, "Huh, so were we...".

You guessed it...one of his boys had lost the lure that we found...probably about an hour before we found it. What are the odds?? Neither of us had any idea that the other was going to be there fishing with our kids, let alone in the same exact area of this large lake.

So I brought the "lost" lure to church the next week and gave it back to the boy...who was quite happy to see his lure again. :)

We were in Salida, Co over the 4th many years ago and they had a Kids Trout Fishing tourney on a little lake near town. Tons of kids tossing lures, bait, different rigs. DNR had loaded up the lake so kids were reeling in trout left and right. We were next to a kid who got snagged and wanted me to help him "unsnag" his line. Started reeling and it wasn't snagged, so I handed it back to him and it ended up being a Captains rig that had two trout on it that he had caught. That kid won "most Unusual Catch".

Reactions: JustSayOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT