ADVERTISEMENT

King's Punt Return

Big Hawk D-Port

HB Heisman
Nov 29, 2004
To me, the punt return was the pivotal play today. We had been playing on a long field all half and having to drive 70 yards after the fumble was a tall task. The PR flipped field position and IMO enabled the big TD strike.

Outside of his Parker like Kick return I thought he played fine. Seemed to me the ball hitting was more a product of King losing it in the sun. As a coach said you can never be wrong letting the ball hit the ground. It's always ours if you do that. Then the holding penalty I thought was touchy feely. They were both holding on to each other. But we had 4 CB's look pretty good today because I think ISU ha 4 quality Wrs

Reactions: dbrocket
To me, the punt return was the pivotal play today. We had been playing on a long field all half and having to drive 70 yards after the fumble was a tall task. The PR flipped field position and IMO enabled the big TD strike.
Agree. This was a very big play. Even though Iowa turned the ball over on the drive, the change in field position was huge, as Iowa was starting every drive inside the 20 yard line.

Agree. This was a very big play. Even though Iowa turned the ball over on the drive, the change in field position was huge, as Iowa was starting every drive inside the 20 yard line.
Wrong. We scored this drive. We fumbled the drive previous when we started inside the 10 and CJ threw 50+ yards too Vandy.

Wrong. We scored this drive. We fumbled the drive previous when we started inside the 10 and CJ threw 50+ yards too Vandy.
This is correct and also why this would be Doodle's choice for play of the game as well. We were driving for a score to put us on top. Canzeri fumbles and we could have gone into the fetal position. Defense rises to the occasion again, but still you are looking at a big change in field position. Then King undid much of the damage of Canzeri's fumble and put us right back in business. So you could certainly legitimately argue it was the single most important play in a game that was full of them for both sides.

I agree with the OP. Flipping the field was key. Our defense was stellar in the 2nd half but we needed the field position for our offense.

I also think King made up for a blunder earlier... On kick return he caught at 2 and momentum took him outta bounds and there we started... I believe it was king...his punt return plus pick more than made up for that. We will learn from those miscues as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT