ADVERTISEMENT

Kinnick stadium parking

doubledippin

Team MVP
Sep 10, 2011
So, usually I ride the train from coralville to kinnick but this time I'm looking too see where some decent parking will be from walking distance to kinnick. I do realize there will be tailgating going on. We will be leaving around 630 and hopefully getting into town around 930 10. What are the chances of finding sometging closer to kinnick without riding train? (Not real familiar with iowa city) thank you

At 9:30 or 10, about 0%. You're best bet if you don't have a pre-paid, season-long spot is to drive down Melrose and look for people holding up signs offering parking in their yards/lots. This will be on a first-come, first-served basis and that area will be an insane madhouse around 10:00 for an 11AM game. It's also pricey (roughy $40 or so for a single spot).

Good luck.

So we would be better off just riding the train from coralville to iowa city? I kind of figured that it would be hard too find something close, in that short amount of time. Thanks for the input.

So we would be better off just riding the train from coralville to iowa city? I kind of figured that it would be hard too find something close, in that short amount of time. Thanks for the input.

Well, you could try. Attendance is supposed to be lower than normal this year, so maybe you'll get lucky. But 9:30 would be about as late as I would try it. 10:00 is really pushing it. I guess I have seen people holding up their signs as I've been walking to the stadium before, so it might work out for you, but traffic (car and foot) in that area that close to game time is just crazy.

At 9:30 or 10, about 0%. You're best bet if you don't have a pre-paid, season-long spot is to drive down Melrose and look for people holding up signs offering parking in their yards/lots. This will be on a first-come, first-served basis and that area will be an insane madhouse around 10:00 for an 11AM game. It's also pricey (roughy $40 or so for a single spot).

Good luck.

This, really won't be that difficult. Will you get within 1-2 blocks? No, but within 10 without problem. Lots of available yards in University Heights.
Go down Koser/Highlands or Sunset (just south of Melrose)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/I...2!3m1!1s0x87e441c16a208817:0x6d711867870582b0

Or, just go to Finkbine, it isn't a bad walk. You can always try the north side of Carver, there are a yards up there.

It will not be $40/spot, more like $20, maybe $15 farther out.

Are you even wanting to tailgate? Just park downtown and take the bus. Quick, easy, fast. Picks you right up south of Pentacrest, in front of the Mall. Can even park in the mall parking garage.

Are you even wanting to tailgate? Just park downtown and take the bus. Quick, easy, fast. Picks you right up south of Pentacrest, in front of the Mall. Can even park in the mall parking garage.

Another excellent idea. You can even walk it from there. Not a bad distance at all (very comparable to Finkbine, maybe closer).

Reactions: herecomethehawkeyes
Ok, not looking too tailgate, just looking for something fairly close to stadium.

Can try the Myrtle lot, probably full, but the church there might have spots. Lots of potential options within 6-10 blocks. Or go downtown and take the bus, very easy.

We used to take the N Dubuque Street exit and park next to the river by the power plant...and then walk across the bridge and up to Kinnick. 10 minute walk and cheap or free parking IIRC. Might have changed now.

Don't ever try and drive down Melrose after 8am...

You would probably need to be there by 8 to get something relatively close to the stadium

I pulled down melrose last year 3 different times after 10 for an 11am kick and parked by the bridge. 30 bucks. There's parking down there

Due to high school/youth games and practices, we have typically been in a same boat as you, arriving later than you would like. If you don't wanna take the train, try parking in the Main Library parking lot. You can either park in the pay lot or take your chances parking in the meter lot.

There is quite often parking just west of Kinnick at reasonable $25-$30 prices. Check out Sunset St, Grand Ave, Golfview Ave and Prospect Pl.

With reduced attendance I think parking prices will be a little lower. I help run the parking at horn elementary which is about one mile southwest of kinnick. Just northwest of Benton and Sunset. We charge 10 and I think most yards near us will be 10. Horn rarely fills up so its a decent last minute option.

If you don't mind the walk, just park in the neighborhood South of Finkbine for free on the street. This is HROT though so I am assuming your limo will drop you off in front.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT