ADVERTISEMENT

Kinnick Stadium to host major concert in 2016

IaHawks03

HB Legend
Jan 10, 2005
Any ideas on what this will be? The official announcement will come next week.
Here is a teaser video that was played at the game on Saturday night:

A lot of rumors around staff at music venues in town are saying Taylor Swift.

Probably one of the few that would 1. come to Iowa City, and 2. make it worth it to hold a concert in side Kinnick instead of Carver/hancher/imu

A lot of rumors around staff at music venues in town are saying Taylor Swift.

Probably one of the few that would 1. come to Iowa City, and 2. make it worth it to hold a concert in side Kinnick instead of Carver/hancher/imu

Highly, highly doubtful. She is on a year-long tour as we speak, and is playing in Des Moines in two weeks. The odds of her taking a break from recording a new album (or whatever she will be doing 12 months from now) to play a one night event in Kinnick are between none and none.

Unless of course she and CJ are tighter than any of us know, and he is calling in a favor. Then all bets are off.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I know he's friends with a few bands so if he's doing the leg work a short list would be Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney, Kings of Leon, and Dave Mathews.

No surprise here with a business man now at the helm. 70000 seats brings lots of money. Barta probably had little choice here, but to comply. My wife and talked about this scenario weeks ago when the new president was announced.

Just curious... What would be the reason(s) that Barta would be against having a concert at Kinnick?

I think it is some kind of Iowa-focused disaster relief fund that is sponsoring it, so no.

Either that or you are right, so please welcome Slipknot to the stage!!!

Lol, I know what you're saying, I could really only think of Slipknot, so that is why I was scratching my head at the Iowans comment.

Maybe Ashton Kutcher does some mean John Mayer covers?

No surprise here with a business man now at the helm. 70000 seats brings lots of money. Barta probably had little choice here, but to comply. My wife and talked about this scenario weeks ago when the new president was announced.

LOL! The new prez don't start until Nov 2nd. And if he did start, do you really think this could be arranged in 3 weeks?

If you go to their website, it sounds more like a festival than 1 major group.

"The Back Porch is gonna be rockin' with an all-star music line-up! Be sure to come back on September 26th and check out all the EPIC details. We’ll fill you in on the concert date, what artists are performing, and ticket information."

Not too many clues in that paragraph, except artists is plural...so more than 1 performer.

Then when you go to their Facebook page, they are also liked by "Tree Town Festival." And when you click their page, Forest City Iowa will be hosting a festival in May of next year and will include Tim McGraw as well as other country artists. So it sounds like it'll be something similar to that.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure it will be the Wadena Reunion Tour. 40,000 of us gathered on a farm in Wadena, Iowa for a three day rock festival in the summer of 1970. No huge acts, but leaned toward country rock with the Flying Burrito Brothers and Poco. Also remember Buffy Saint Marie and the ??? Brothers (Help me out here - it was long ago and far away.) Of course, the rumor was that Dylan was backstage.

You never know.

Reactions: Hawk Supreme
Kenny Chesney just announced that he will be doing more college football stadiums for his 2016 tour and has 3-4 other groups touring with him so there is a good chance of this.

Reactions: 3boysmom
As much as I am not a big country fan...mainly the new stuff, you would be dumb to say it isn't popular or wouldn't bring a huge crowd. Most college aged girls and guys are probably bigger country fans than other genres.

Who, in this day and age, would sell even 50,000 tickets in Iowa City?

I am pretty sure it will be the Wadena Reunion Tour. 40,000 of us gathered on a farm in Wadena, Iowa for a three day rock festival in the summer of 1970. No huge acts, but leaned toward country rock with the Flying Burrito Brothers and Poco. Also remember Buffy Saint Marie and the ??? Brothers (Help me out here - it was long ago and far away.) Of course, the rumor was that Dylan was backstage.

You never know.
I was there it was the Everly Broyhers

Reactions: hexumhawk
Parking will be a problem. I don't see the good people of University Heights opening up their front yards to a bunch of concert goers. I know I wouldn't want a bunch of drunk and/or high Slipknot (or whatever) fans parking a few feet from my front window.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT