ADVERTISEMENT

Kinnick Stadium to host major concert in 2016

Parking will be a problem. I don't see the good people of University Heights opening up their front yards to a bunch of concert goers. I know I wouldn't want a bunch of drunk and/or high Slipknot (or whatever) fans parking a few feet from my front window.

It's probably not going to be freaking Slip Not. I'd put my money on something like the Auburn concert posted above. You want to sell out the thing. If it's a Saturday I don't see why property owners won't see all the $ signs for parking for a concert.

Parking will be a problem. I don't see the good people of University Heights opening up their front yards to a bunch of concert goers. I know I wouldn't want a bunch of drunk and/or high Slipknot (or whatever) fans parking a few feet from my front window.

You really think that crowd would do more property damage than what they see for seven Saturdays every Fall?

The reason that used to be cited was damage to the field, which was grass until recently.

The parking issue is a good one. I suppose some might park cars to make a few bucks like normal, but I am guessing several won't.

Parking won't be an issue. If parking is that difficult to find, the people on Melrose can charge outrageous prices and make a fortune.
Who would you rather have in your backyard...A college football tailgater who has been drinking for 5+ hours or a concert goer?

Parking won't be an issue. If parking is that difficult to find, the people on Melrose can charge outrageous prices and make a fortune.
Who would you rather have in your backyard...A college football tailgater who has been drinking for 5+ hours or a concert goer?

If it's a country concert the attendees will certainly be drinking for 5+ hours.

If it's a country concert the attendees will certainly be drinking for 5+ hours.
True, but when it comes down to worried about vandalism, I'd be more concerned with fans at a sporting event than a concert. The people who own property on Melrose are probably thrilled with the news of a concert. If they can fit 6-7 vehicles in their yard, that's an easy $300+ of pure profit.

Just speculation on my part but I'm pretty sure someone above reference Tree Town Musical Festival liking the concert page.

I know Tim McGraw, Sam Hunt, Old Dominion and Jake Owen are headlining for that.
Auburn's concert is Kenny Chesney, Miranda Lambert, Old Dominion and Sam Hunt.

I'm going to guess and say it's some or all of one of those two combinations.Especially since that 2nd foursome is touring together next year.

Just speculation on my part but I'm pretty sure someone above reference Tree Town Musical Festival liking the concert page.

I know Tim McGraw, Sam Hunt, Old Dominion and Jake Owen are headlining for that.

I'm going to guess and say it's some or all of one of those two combinations.Especially since that 2nd foursome is touring together next year.

It won't be Tim McGraw, he was just in Jones County and didn't seem to enjoy it there very much.

It won't be Tim McGraw, he was just in Jones County and didn't seem to enjoy it there very much.
Why do you say that? I ask because had coworker see him in a 3 day festival in WI. They were dissapointed with his concert. Not nearly the show that other performers put on.

Parking!? Lot 43, Lot 49, Lot 65, Lot 13, Lot 14, Lot 40, Lot 33, Hospital ramp 1, Hospital ramp 2, Hospital ramp 3, Hospital ramp 4, Field House Lot, Newton Road Ramp . Also within walking distance is Hancher, Library, Lot 11, Myrtle, College of public health.

Parking won't be a problem.

Parking!? Lot 43, Lot 49, Lot 65, Lot 13, Lot 14, Lot 40, Lot 33, Hospital ramp 1, Hospital ramp 2, Hospital ramp 3, Hospital ramp 4, Field House Lot, Newton Road Ramp . Also within walking distance is Hancher, Library, Lot 11, Myrtle, College of public health.

Parking won't be a problem.

Aren't the hospital ramps always full or near capacity? To get access to the others you'd have to do it on a weekend, which you'd probably have to do anyway considering the fact that the stadium is located right in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Aren't the hospital ramps always full or near capacity? To get access to the others you'd have to do it on a weekend, which you'd probably have to do anyway considering the fact that the stadium is located right in the middle of a residential neighborhood.
Yeah they're near capacity if you're trying to hold the concert at 2:30pm on a weekday. On a Friday/Saturday night at 7 or 8? No problem.

Hard pass.

Will probably make plenty of money.

We don't need a bunch of damn drug addicts putting out their roaches on the turf. Think of the damage!!!!!

Why do you say that? I ask because had coworker see him in a 3 day festival in WI. They were dissapointed with his concert. Not nearly the show that other performers put on.

Full disclosure: I hate country music. But his performance was the definition of "phoning it in", and his tour buses were literally pulling away from behind the stage within 60 seconds of him walking off of it. It was obvious he didn't really give a $hit, and I emphasize the $.

The irony was the people standing around me saying how AMAZING of a performer he is. I suppose, if you only listen to unoriginal garbage, and are impressed when someone rhymes something about trucks with something about beer.

Would love Slipknot in Kinnick.

Of course, if they're trying to sell tickets to a bunch of college kids, country is probably the way to go (regrettably)

I do not understand why many of you think that college students will want this to be country. I'm a current student. When I go to the bars, I don't hear country. When I go to a house party, I don't hear country. In Ames, it's a bit different. But here, everyone is into rap, pop, EDM, etc.

Do any of you remember Hawkapalooza? The first week of school, the U brought in a fairly big act for a concert in Hubbard Park. In 2011, they had Mike Posner. In 2012, T-Pain. In 2013, they announced they were switching over to country.

They ended up canceling the show, and thus the entire event, because the response & ticket sales were so poor.

Reactions: Hawk Supreme
I do not understand why many of you think that college students will want this to be country. I'm a current student. When I go to the bars, I don't hear country. When I go to a house party, I don't hear country. In Ames, it's a bit different. But here, everyone is into rap, pop, EDM, etc.

Do any of you remember Hawkapalooza? The first week of school, the U brought in a fairly big act for a concert in Hubbard Park. In 2011, they had Mike Posner. In 2012, T-Pain. In 2013, they announced they were switching over to country.

They ended up canceling the show, and thus the entire event, because the response & ticket sales were so poor.
Once you realize that the majority of the posters on this site are out of touch with reality, this place will make much more sense to you.

Reactions: Hawk Supreme

Try another angle. Hawk-a-palooza was always a free event with no tickets being sold.

None of the other genres you listed have any chance of selling out Kinnick (capacity will be far under 70k). This concert won't simply be marketed to students.

Reactions: acic1 and hawkcub
Try another angle. Hawk-a-palooza was always a free event with no tickets being sold.

None of the other genres you listed have any chance of selling out Kinnick (capacity will be far under 70k). This concert won't simply be marketed to students.

That's true. Them starting to charge was probably a huge factor. I had forgotten it was free initially.

I realize that Kinnick won't be sold out, I was just arguing the opinion that this event will be huge with students simply because it would be country. I realize hundreds of students would go if it were country. I just don't think students are as into it as I was understanding posters to claim they are.

Somebody finally gets this is not for the students but for fans of the genre of music that's coming. There is a very good chance this happens in the summer.

Not sure it's going to be under 70K though. One end will probably be blocked but there will be field seating. The UNI dome has these concerts often and are well above football seating. But don't have seating on the ends.

Reactions: 83Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT