ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz Post Game Q&A

Apr 8, 2003
OPENING STATEMENT

You know, tonight was certainly just a great effort by our football team. It was an important win for us, an emotional win and we knew coming into this ballgame, I was concerned with the night environment, the crowd, having Brett Greenwood as our captain, worried about where the team would be emotionally. I thought they did just a super job and can't say enough about the crowd, first and foremost. It was just a fantastic environment right through the end and afterwards obviously.

To have Brett with us was a really special treat, also. I think the will, the determination, that Brett Greenwood has exemplified since 2011, I think some of that rubbed off on our team tonight, because we knew this would be a really tough football game. They are an excellent football team. We knew it would be the full 60 and you couldn't go any further.

Just want to give both teams credit for the way they fought and the way they bounced back through the ups and downs of the ballgame but it was just a hard-fought win. We are really, really proud of our football team and just really pleased with the outcome.

Q. The last 30 seconds?

COACH FERENTZ: First of all, looked like it could be disastrous, they squirted the ball down there. That could have been a bad deal. Desmond did a great job of getting the ball back out to the 30, I think it was.

C.J. Beathard played a super game all night long. He had full control, did a wonderful job there. Obviously we were hoping that ball to Tevaun would have been ruled a completion. But then C.J. on the next play got it and we were at least in makeable distance. Would have liked to have been a little closer but what a job by Marshall Koehn, too, just a fantastic effort on his ball. To keep his composure the way he did, just a fantastic effort.

Q. Was there an example -- with the kicker?

COACH FERENTZ: I guess. There was, you know, whatever you do, it doesn't work, then you're wrong, I guess, one of those deals. But didn't seem to faze him at all. It looked like a Rob Houghtlin moment, quite frankly, out there when he looked over at our bench. It looked like he was pretty confident.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News