ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Kirk Ferentz Q&A

Apr 8, 2003
OPENING STATEMENT

First, I want to start by congratulating all of our players that were recognized with All-Big Ten status last evening, and I know the other side of the ball they announce tonight, but just really happy for them and for their recognition. Also Desmond King, for him to be recognized as the Defensive Back of the Year, that's really a special honor for him, and very happy for him, as well.

Certainly last week was a good win for us. It was great to get our fourth trophy, something we haven't done yet, so that was very significant. And for the team to end up with 12-0 record is really a great accomplishment, great team accomplishment on their part.

Just overall the weekend went really well, and I think just looking back right now, I think a lot of the success that our team experienced this year really was kind of rooted in some of the changes that we made in 2012. Our two coordinators transitioned and a lot of changes in the 2012-2013 period.

Since that time we're really proud we've won 27 ballgames, and there really isn't any secret to success from my vantage point. You have to have great leadership on the field and off the field, and I think we've seen that from this team. The players have to respect each other and feel for each other and care about each other, and then the other thing they have to do is focus on a weekly task during the season, and that really is year-round.

This team has done a really good job of that right from the start. Iowa football has always been focused on the fundamentals, whether it's citizenship, their academic work, or being the best players possible, and I think certainly this team has evolved. They've improved at every opportunity, and we're just really, really proud of them.

That being said, I'm really happy about the way the regular season transitioned out, and very, very excited to have an opportunity to play in Indianapolis this week in the Big Ten Championship game.

We've got a big challenge on our hands. We know that, and we're working hard to get ready for that right at this point. Our captains this week will be the same four guys as we've had: Drew Ott, Jordan Lomax on the defensive side of the ball; Austin Blythe and CJ Beathard offensively.

And overall I think we're pretty healthy right now. Had a couple guys nicked up in the game. Fortunately we've got an extra day of recovery, and the guys that were injured in the ballgame are working back right now somewhat on a limited basis, but we're hopeful to have them all at kickoff time. That part is all good.

Michigan State, needless to say, is an excellent football team. They're very strong on offense. They've got a veteran quarterback who's been very, very successful, very balanced, good offensive line, good running backs, excellent receivers. And then on the defensive side, like you'd expect from Michigan State, they're very, very good defensively, and it starts up front. They've got an outstanding group of defensive linemen, got a lot of good players, but that group is extremely impressive.

Really since Mark Dantonio got to Michigan State in 2007, they've had a first-class program. They've had tremendous success, and I think if you look at this year, particularly the last two ballgames, it says a lot about their football team. They go into Columbus two weeks ago or a couple weeks back without their starting quarterback, not able to play, and the way they won that football game, that was extremely impressive, and then came back last week, the quarterback was back with them, and they just looked like a very well-rounded, dynamic football team.

We've got a big challenge on our hands. We're really looking forward to it, excited to be part of this, and hopefully we'll have a great week of preparation. I'll throw it out for questions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.