ADVERTISEMENT

Klay Thompson and Paul George on Keegan Murray

Heck. I remember when many people on here thought Fran was an idiot for offering Kris and Keegan scholarships. Shows what the average fan knows. Both are now first round picks.
Late bloomers who worked very hard on their games. I am happy for both. I hadn't watched the NBA in years but did watch a bit of Keegan last year. Hope they both have long, successful careers.

Heck. I remember when many people on here thought Fran was an idiot for offering Kris and Keegan scholarships. Shows what the average fan knows. Both are now first round picks.
Okay, but we've beat that horse to death already. Until they went down to prep school in Florida there wasn't a major basketball coach in the country who thought they were D1 players and that includes Fran. So NONE of the coaches in the nation know shit either, is that your statement? I was fine with Fran offering because by then he'd seen enough to take a chance. But lets not act like they were "can't miss prospects", because that simply isn't true. I'm thrilled they have done so well, both for themselves, and representing Iowa basketball.

When you think of just overall basketball ability, not college or pro stats or longevity, I'm starting to think Keegan will soon be the best player to ever go through Iowa.

Who's the Hawkeye you draft #1 on the playground? It's probably Keegan

Okay, but we've beat that horse to death already. Until they went down to prep school in Florida there wasn't a major basketball coach in the country who thought they were D1 players and that includes Fran. So NONE of the coaches in the nation know shit either, is that your statement? I was fine with Fran offering because by then he'd seen enough to take a chance. But lets not act like they were "can't miss prospects", because that simply isn't true. I'm thrilled they have done so well, both for themselves, and representing Iowa basketball.
Actually, that's not what I'm saying at all, and you have no idea what other basketball coaches in the country thought about them when they were playing basketball in prep school. They committed to Iowa In October so there is no telling how many coaches would have offered. As far as not being can't miss prospects, that was never said. BUILD THAT STRAW MAN THEN TEAR HIM DOWN.

Reactions: RLMHAWK
Actually, that's not what I'm saying at all, and you have no idea what other basketball coaches in the country thought about them when they were playing basketball in prep school. They committed to Iowa In October so there is no telling how many coaches would have offered. As far as not being can't miss prospects, that was never said. BUILD THAT STRAW MAN THEN TEAR HIM DOWN.
Don't get your panties in a twist. I'm saying BEFORE they went to prep school, (which is what I said already), NO ONE had any interest. Fran had the inside track, so once he got in right as they starting blowing up in prep, Then yes they starting drawing a lot of attention, but by then they had committed to Iowa.

Didn't watch Keegan in the NBA, but I always thought his all-round game was his biggest strength. He can shoot, but he also can be an elite defender, can rebound, and has good court awareness.
We throw around words like "elite" a bit haphazardly here. If I were going to talk about something "elite" in Keegan's game, it would more likely be his shooting and offensive efficiency. This commentary isn't an attack, as he is already a productive starter on an NBA playoff team, but hardly an elite defender. He is a good rebounder, can guard multiple positions, can get blocks and steals, but none of the scouting reports I have ever seen call him an elite defender. I do note the nuance of your comment that he "can be an elite defender" vs. claiming he is. I am not slamming his defense as he has positional flexibility and is solid, but elite seems a bit of hyperbole, at least on defense.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I can't say that I blame people for being skeptical of the Murray boys when Fran first started taking interest. What were they at that time? 6'3"? Had they not sprouted up to 6'8" they likely wouldn't have been able to play at the D1 level.

I'm just glad it worked out the way it did. Two of the best players we've had at Iowa in the end.

When you think of just overall basketball ability, not college or pro stats or longevity, I'm starting to think Keegan will soon be the best player to ever go through Iowa.

Who's the Hawkeye you draft #1 on the playground? It's probably Keegan
He's right up there. I probably draft Ronnie Lester first. Maybe even BJ Armstrong but Keegan is in the mix. Garza would be right there as well.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
We throw around words like "elite" a bit haphazardly here. If I were going to talk about something "elite" in Keegan's game, it would more likely be his shooting and offensive efficiency. This commentary isn't an attack, as he is already a productive starter on an NBA playoff team, but hardly an elite defender. He is a good rebounder, can guard multiple positions, can get blocks and steals, but none of the scouting reports I have ever seen call him an elite defender. I do note the nuance of your comment that he "can be an elite defender" vs. claiming he is. I am not slamming his defense as he has positional flexibility and is solid, but elite seems a bit of hyperbole, at least on defense.
Again, I have not watched Keegan in the NBA, but in college, there were multiple games where he shut down the other team's best player. I remember a game at Minny, where Battle (best Goofer at the time) was totally taken out of the game by Keegan. As you noted, he also can guard multiple positions. Keegan's 3-pt shooting and efficiency are earning him the recognition he has received, but that plus the rest of his game will help make his team a winner. Maybe you need to be a jerk, like Draymond Green, to be an elite defender in the NBA?

Again, I have not watched Keegan in the NBA, but in college, there were multiple games where he shut down the other team's best player. I remember a game at Minny, where Battle (best Goofer at the time) was totally taken out of the game by Keegan. As you noted, he also can guard multiple positions. Keegan's 3-pt shooting and efficiency are earning him the recognition he has received, but that plus the rest of his game will help make his team a winner. Maybe you need to be a jerk, like Draymond Green, to be an elite defender in the NBA?
I don’t think you need to be a jerk. It’s just from all of the draft previews I read he was thought to be OK on defense. Not trying to knock his defense. was just commenting when someone called him elite there which I don’t believe he is.

Reactions: jbofan
See that's where the era-crossing clouds it.

You honestly draft Nellie over Keegan on the playground?
Impossible to compare across generations with the evolution of the game. I don't go back past the mid 70s watching Iowa BB, but I believe Keegan's senior year was the best I have seen an individual player play (all round) in a Hawkeye jersey. That is one year, but his NBA career is off to a really good start. Only can play coulda been with Ronnie, who is still my favorite Hawkeye.

Impossible to compare across generations with the evolution of the game. I don't go back past the mid 70s watching Iowa BB, but I believe Keegan's senior year was the best I have seen an individual player play (all round) in a Hawkeye jersey. That is one year, but his NBA career is off to a really good start. Only can play coulda been with Ronnie, who is still my favorite Hawkeye.
They let him wear a Hawkeye jersey his senior year at Prairie? What about as a junior?

The only senior or junior years Keegan has ever played were in high school.

Just having a little fun with ya
So you disagree with my statement that Keegan's last year at Iowa is the best I have seen in a Hawkeye uniform? Imagine how good he would have been playing last year at Iowa.

So you disagree with my statement that Keegan's last year at Iowa is the best I have seen in a Hawkeye uniform? Imagine how good he would have been playing last year at Iowa.
No, I disagree that Keegan's last year at Iowa was his senior year.

Would probably agree that Keegan's last season at Iowa was the best season of performance by an individual I've seen at Iowa.

Although Garza's senior season is right up there.

And the season Woolridge lead the big ten in scoring and assists was also very impressive/entertaining

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT