ADVERTISEMENT

Know any famous people...or 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon?

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002
The relatives playing high level sports got me thinking about famous people? Know any or have friends of friends... I'll go first.

My dentist for 28 years is Scott Stapp of Creed's dad. He still sends me (long) handwritten Christmas Cards each year and has hooked me up with some back-stage, autograph stuff, etc. over the years.

My HS girlfriend's sister was Jimmy Buffett's nanny for years. Got to hear some fun stories.

My other HS girlfriend was the great great granddaughter of Thomas Paine, the author of Common Sense (may have missed a great in there).

That's all I got.

I personally know Bubba Watson & Boo Weekly. Also Tom Hammonds, Mark Price, Gerald Wilkins, (NBA players). Kevin Saucier, Scotti Madison, Nat (Buck) Showalter, (MLB). Andy Enfield (college basketball coach), and Bob Stinnett (former basketball coach, and assistant coach under Dale Brown at LSU).

By association, since those are professional athletes, way too many to name. Other notables go to my mom, who went to FSU in the '50s, and knew Lee Corso and Burt Reynolds.

Oh, I used to play pickup hoops with Joe Scarborough.

Last edited:
I know MIchael Penix Jr & his family very well. They're from my hometown; I coached his dad & uncle in various youth sports (football, baseball, basketball) and am still good friends with them and their mom (Little Mike's grandma).

I know the Rotunda wrestling family well (Mike & his wife, Taylor, and Windham RiP). Windham was a good guy with a massive personality, he was hilarious to chat with. I still remember meeting with him right before The Fiend/Firefly Funhouse storyline was released. He was very excited about it & knew it would be hugely popular.

Country music duo The Bellamy Brothers are from my hometown; I know both of them, though not closely.

One of my nephews is married to one of Jody Reed's daughters. He's an FSU Sports Hall of Famer, played about a dozen years as a SS/2B in MLB, and is currently on the Marlins coaching staff (3rd base and infield coach)

I've known Kirk Hinrich since we were 10 years old. Played baseball with him for many years. I might be one of the few people who think "really good shortstop" when his name comes up.

Last edited:
I have spoken with @alaskanseminole on the phone several times and have had beers with @runkpanole. @goldmom and I have shared a tailgate.
200.gif

I once worked with a woman who was close family friends with Kevin Bacon…she had pictures together at Christmas with him close. That puts me at 2 degrees of Kevin Bacon and all of you at 3.

Other than that my grandmother was very close friends with former senator/astronaut John Glenn’s wife. When he ran for President I got to have dinner with he and his wife at my grandparents house in Iowa. That’s the best I got, but it was pretty cool to impressionable young hawkeye traveler.

Reactions: h-hawk
Not sure if you guys know Nicole Sullivan from MadTV and King of Queens, but she is pretty cool. I hung out with her a few times in LA when I visited my stepbrother back in the 90s. We had a helluva weekend in Tijuana on one of those trips that was one for the books. Time sure flies, holy cow.

People who would know me when they see me; Jeff Feagles and Harlan Coben. You will probably need Google.

My sister’s best friend was married to Bob Gibson. But I never met him.

That’s all I got.

People who would know me when they see me; Jeff Feagles and Harlan Coben. You will probably need Google.

My sister’s best friend was married to Bob Gibson. But I never met him.

That’s all I got.
Reading one of Harlen Coben's books right now.

All I got.

Sean Astin is married to a woman who I believe a cousin other side of my cousins.

Anyway he has been some of their weddings. My dad had no idea what he did and asked what he did for a living. At the time he was filming LOTR and told my dad he was working on a project in New Zealand.

Sean Astin is married to a woman who I believe a cousin other side of my cousins.

Anyway he has been some of their weddings. My dad had no idea what he did and asked what he did for a living. At the time he was filming LOTR and told my dad he was working on a project in New Zealand.
He’s Mikey and goddam Rudy too! Wake up Hoosierhawkeye’s dad.

At a diner, I once sat in the same exact booth as the man who met Andy Griffith hours after he left.

He’s Mikey and goddam Rudy too! Wake up Hoosierhawkeye’s dad.

My dad isn't much of a movie person. Or a sports fan.

Honestly my dad is a workaholic. He's "retired" now but he started a business selling carpentry work on Etsy. He probably works 50+ hours a week at that.

Honestly if I went over to his house anytime between 9 am and 7 pm and he wasn't working I would be shocked. And that includes both weekends and weekdays.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
He's not exactly famous, but I was friends/grew up with a guy that got into cryptocurrency and is currently worth close to a billion bucks. It's kinda funny though, when you search his name on twitter, it's a bunch of people calling for him to be put in jail w/ the other crypto-criminals. A few years back he renounced his US citizenship, and now lives somewhere in the Caribbean. I actually got a message from him on Instagram like 6 months ago asking me to invest, annnnnd I left that one on read.

Every once in awhile I search his name just to see if he's been arrested yet

My dad isn't much of a movie person. Or a sports fan.

Honestly my dad is a workaholic. He's "retired" now but he started a business selling carpentry work on Etsy. He probably works 50+ hours a week at that.

Honestly if I went over to his house anytime between 9 am and 7 pm and he wasn't working I would be shocked. And that includes both weekends and weekdays.
I looked up Sean Astin's wife and she's originally from Indiana, so user name checks out.

I looked up Sean Astin's wife and she's originally from Indiana, so user name checks out.

Yeah I'm not exactly sure of the relationship but my dad and their dad are twins and I know Astin's wife is somewhere on their mom's family tree and close enough of a relative to show up with her husband to my cousin's weddings.

I’ve dated and had bedroom relations with a woman who dated and had bedroom relations with Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam back in the day. She liked to call me “Daddy” so every time I took her to pound town I couldn’t help but think of their song Daughter with the word ‘daddy’ in its place.

Speaking of the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. . . I'm sort of curious as to how well one has to know Kevin Bacon for it to count.

Because I knew this Michael Essnay back in college. He interviewed Kevin Bacon once for Public access TV.

So if that counts I could say I have a lot through that one guy. Although to be fair I havn't seen or talked to Michael in like 20 years.

For the record Michael Essnay in college was not well liked. The main reason is people kind of looked down on him because his mom drove him to classes and back. He didn't have a driver's license and was a little weird. I never felt like that was a legitimate reason to dislike a guy even if it seemed a bit childish. I sort of wonder if there wasn't some jealousy or something going on there because while he was a little weird there were people weirder than him that fit right in just fine. (To be fair I didn't know anyone else who's mom drove them to college and picked them up.)

Other than that he never had a big head or anything, wasn't afraid to walk up to anyone shake their hand and talk to them and quite frankly had an amazing ability to remember people's names after only limited interaction.

Last edited:
Spent some time with Mike Wells while he played for Iowa.
His girlfriend worked for my wife in a hardware store in CR many years ago.
He then worked at the hardware store in the summer.
Mean machine on the field
Gentle giant off the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT