ADVERTISEMENT

Labor Day question for older smart farts on HROT....

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
In your youth, did “summer music” come from MoTown or California?
For me it was “Dancin’ in the Street”/ 4Tops stuff...for most of my friends it was “Little GTO” and Beach Boys...
It was great music, though...
Enjoy the last days of summer and white shoes...till next year!

The Omaha and Council Bluffs radio stations played both as well as the British invasion (being Mr Obvious) so summers for me included a bit of everything. I remember Petulia Clark having a lot of hits during mid 60s summers.

For me it was “Dancin’ in the Street”/ 4Tops stuff...for most of my friends it was “Little GTO” and Beach Boys...
Vienna.

KBUR didn’t play much MoTown. Although our 9th grade football team did adopt Proud Mary (with reworked lyrics) as our team song. But I think I was only familiar with the CCR version at the time.

Did any of you old folks keep your cool ass tube radios or consoles? CSB I think they are awesome.

giphy.gif

Both on KSTT. (Also 'Chicken Man' but that's another thread.)

And WLS with Larry Lujack and Beeker Street at night on the Mighty 1090.

In Iowa we could occasionally get WLS. New Year’s tradition was listening to the Top 89 countdown.

Does anybody remember the “Tooth Fairy” skits?

Reactions: Hendy hawk

I grew up in the thumb of Michigan in the mid 60's, music was Motown!

CKLW AM800 Back in the 60's Canadian radio had different content rules than today and of course were not governed by US radio restrictions and CKLW out of Windsor dominated.

When I went off to college in Detroit could listen to WABX FM 99.5, it as the bomb!

As a college student I could have easily walked to the Motown studios but never even thought of such a thing. Later in life I have toured it a couple of times. If you like Motown and in Detroit it's worth a tour. Stunning what came out of a tiny little "garage" studio.

Larry Lujack and Little Tommy (Edwards) and “Animal Stories” was great. “Is he gonna be alright Uncle Lar?”

Lujack was from Quasqueton, by the way.
I often thought that Dr Johnny Fever (WKRP) seemed like it could have been based on him to some degree.

In my youth The Beach Boys defined summer music, but in my older years I appreciate Motown music a helluva lot more I just wasn’t exposed to it as much when I was younger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT