ADVERTISEMENT

Lainez

Oct 11, 2016
With all this talk of McNamara and Sullivan I haven't heard how Lainez looked? Anyone have any info

I think he brings more upside than Cade does …. I would say it should be Brendan, Marco and then Cade … I hope to God I eat my own words as I want Cade to succeed but as many I am worried about his wheels (legs) not functioning properly… as he’s had too many injuries with his ACL etc…. But I want him to be the number 1 Quarterback…. 🤞

Very athletic kid. If he can get the passing game going (I think he has an adequate arm) he could turn out to be a very good player. Think he is probably a year away from really competing for playing time.

"Electric" was running around a lot, nothing more
Lainez ran forward. Deacon/petras always dropped back and took sacks and teams had no respect for their ability to extend plays or gash them with long runs. The QB room looks weak. Whether McNamara can be effective without Michigan level talent surrounding him is quesitonalble.

I do agree Lainez can't be effective unless he can pass better. So we have 3 guys at QB that aren't stars and Iowa has had trouble pass blocking and protecting drop back QBs and Iowa's WR's have been the worst in Big 10. Brian/kirk Ferentz deserves a lot of blame for letting the talent on offense get to this bad a level. I doubt the new Offensive coordinator is a genius, but he should do better than Brian's last couple years but Iowa offense will still be well below average for B1G.

Not sure that’s fair. Let’s add some context. He was facing a very good defense that knew he must pass. DL had their ears pinned back on the rush and throwing at 6 DBs knowing a pass was coming.
And he hadn't taken a snap all season. My gawd. Some people's brains just don't seem to function very well when it comes to being fair and objective and realistic.

Lainez showed great running ability that could have been valuable all season, but KF kept him nailed to the bench behind a worthless kid who would have been at Fordham had it not been for the Bud Man, a kid who hadn't taken a college snap until KF sent him in, a kid who's now at mighty Utah Tech.

Apparently- it’s impossible for Iowa to get a top 20 qb.

I kept hearing every year how "Iowa got their man" when it came to QB recruits. And then everyone got excited and I wondered why after seeing the offer list. And then they transferred out.
I know we as a fanbase have pined for mobile QB’s, but if they can’t throw, then aren’t they basically the kind of QB’s that we absolutely feast on?

I don’t expect Lainez or Resar to ever be a chosen starter for week 1. The arm talent just isn’t there. Maybe/hopefully it can be developed, but that just doesn’t seem like a thing guys pick up.

Apparently- it’s impossible for Iowa to get a top 20 qb.
It’s a self fulfilling prophecy, just like the lack of wide receiver talent.

Great quarterbacks want to go where they can fully realize their skill set. Great wide receivers want to go where they’re going to have the ball thrown to them.

Reactions: uihawk82
Not sure that’s fair. Let’s add some context. He was facing a very good defense that knew he must pass. DL had their ears pinned back on the rush and throwing at 6 DBs knowing a pass was coming.
He looked ok scrambling. Picked up 50 yards on 6 scrambles.

Outside of that, not sure anyone on Iowa's side looked electric. What a day to forget.

I know we as a fanbase have pined for mobile QB’s, but if they can’t throw, then aren’t they basically the kind of QB’s that we absolutely feast on?

I don’t expect Lainez or Resar to ever be a chosen starter for week 1. The arm talent just isn’t there. Maybe/hopefully it can be developed, but that just doesn’t seem like a thing guys pick up.
Hayden Fry recruited a QB from Wheaton, IL, who was a runner in high school and had one other offer. But Hayden, an excellent offensive mind and former college QB, helped turn that guy into a first-team All-American, a guy who threw for over 10,000 yards in his career as a Hawkeye, and who finished a close runnerup to Bo Jackson for the Heisman Trophy. Maybe you've heard of Chuck Long. So I guess with the right coaching and the right kid, it may be possible to teach a QB to pass at the major college level.

Hayden Fry recruited a QB from Wheaton, IL, who was a runner in high school and had one other offer. But Hayden, an excellent offensive mind and former college QB, helped turn that guy into a first-team All-American, a guy who threw for over 10,000 yards in his career as a Hawkeye, and who finished a close runnerup to Bo Jackson for the Heisman Trophy. Maybe you've heard of Chuck Long. So I guess with the right coaching and the right kid, it may be possible to teach a QB to pass at the major college level.
The phrase "exception that proves the rule" comes to mind.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
With all this talk of McNamara and Sullivan I haven't heard how Lainez looked? Anyone have any info
What I have heard is his accuracy throwing the ball is less than Cade and Sullivan. The qb is needs to be accurate therefore Marco is # 3. His high school tape showed some very good passing but those are cherry picked videos.

I really hope Marco can improve and push for the #1 spot because the more great players we have the better

Still #3.

We'll get an updated depth chart next week ahead of Iowa's season opener against Illinois State

24/7 projects Cade as QB1 and Brendan as QB2.

Note that Jackson Stratton is pushing Marco Lainez for QB3. Jackson entered the transfer portal on Dec 4, 2023; he committed to Iowa on June 1, 2024.

The story:

Last edited:
What I have heard is his accuracy throwing the ball is less than Cade and Sullivan. The qb is needs to be accurate therefore Marco is # 3. His high school tape showed some very good passing but those are cherry picked videos.

I really hope Marco can improve and push for the #1 spot because the more great players we have the better
So did Brian ruin him? If I remember correctly he passed at 70% or something like that in HS. Where did his touch go????

So did Brian ruin him? If I remember correctly he passed at 70% or something like that in HS. Where did his touch go????
Who knows but some of these high school QBs play on such powerhouse teams that the receivers are wide open. Going to have great stats with that situation

Iowa scored 0 points.

Moral victories are still an L, man
His first drive he went 53 yards and got to Tennessee's 22 yard line. Went for it on 4th down, would have gotten 3 if it wasn't the beginning of the 4th quarter. Getting the 2023 offense into field goal range against a good defense is no small feat.

Feel free to verify it by watching the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT