ADVERTISEMENT

Las Vegas to shatter all-time high temperatures. Could reach 120 degrees....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
While the summertime is quite hot across the interior of the western United States in the valleys, basins and deserts, the heat will soon go above and beyond what is typical. AccuWeather meteorologists continue to warn of dangerous heat that will build through at least the first weekend of July over the interior Southwest and into mid-July over the interior West.

"Extreme temperatures will crescendo into the weekend as a northward bulge in the jet stream strengthens over the region," AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Heather Zehr said. "At its peak, afternoon high temperatures will be around 20 degrees above average in the worst-hit areas."

This level of heat will not only challenge daily high-temperature records but will also make a run at some all-time record highs for the month of July and for any time of the year.

"The worst heat will be over the Central Valley of California, as well as the deserts of southeastern California, southwestern Arizona and southern Nevada," Zehr explained, "These places will see highs of 110 or more; the highest temperatures in Death Valley will be near 130 degrees."

The all-time record high for Sacramento, California, is 113 F, set on July 14, 1972. High temperatures are projected to peak within a few degrees of 110 degrees multiple times into this weekend Local conditions on any of those days could allow the all-time record to be matched.

About 155 miles farther to the south, Fresno, California, is in a similar situation where not only will daily record highs be challenged but the all-time record high of 115 degrees set on July 8, 1905, could be rivaled.

Meanwhile, in the gambling capital of the United States, highs within a few degrees of 115 F are forecast this week. However, temperatures may hit the 120-degree mark next week on multiple days, beginning with Sunday. The all-time record high in Las Vegas is 117, reached several times through the summer over the decades.

The warmth will spill into the San Francisco Bay region, but not to the extreme of the interior. Still, highs in the 80s are in store during the pattern into Friday before more of a breeze kicks in from the water this weekend.

High temperatures will run 10-15 degrees above average in the Los Angeles area with daily highs in the 90s from Friday through the weekend. People heading to the Southern California beaches will find high temperatures ranging from the mid-70s to the mid-80s most days.

"In many cases, the worst of the heat will be from Friday to Sunday over the interior Southwest states," AccuWeather Long-Range Meteorologist Brandon Buckingham said.

its-a-dry-heat-v0-q24kesnlf7ad1.jpeg

My car’s thermometer parked on black asphalt yesterday afternoon around 6pm said 111 degrees. After the sun had set an hour later it said 109 and actually felt not bad and normal for this time of year. Last week was worse when it was 103 with humidity. I for one welcome this high-pressure bubble!

For AZ, it’s a lot of hysteria for normal temps.

Reactions: The Tradition
My car’s thermometer parked on black asphalt yesterday afternoon around 6pm said 111 degrees. After the sun had set an hour later it said 109 and actually felt not bad and normal for this time of year. Last week was worse when it was 103 with humidity. I for one welcome this high-pressure bubble!

For AZ, it’s a lot of hysteria for normal temps.
Last night it was still 100 at 10 pm.

Thanks to Republicans in the pockets of fossil fuel companies

"About 155 miles farther to the south, Fresno, California, is in a similar situation where not only will daily record highs be challenged but the all-time record high of 115 degrees set on July 8, 1905, could be rivaled."

Lots of SUVs spewing CO2 in 1905?

Last edited:
Shit, if I left my pool cover on for two days right now, I’d have a hot tub.

Don’t leave your pool cover on in the summer.
Our pool is deep and doesn’t get afternoon sun so if we leave the cover off for a few days it drops back down into the 70s….unless we’re having a week like this.

Our pool is deep and doesn’t get afternoon sun so if we leave the cover off for a few days it drops back down into the 70s….unless we’re having a week like this.
I’ll take 70’s! Rule of thumb is the pool avg temp equals the ambient overnight temp. That was high 80’s/low 90’s last week but this week will have lower overnight temps and be awesome. 85 is probably my ideal temp for cool refreshing water in the summer. The no pic likes 90-92 water.

Reactions: BelemNole
"About 155 miles farther to the south, Fresno, California, is in a similar situation where not only will daily record highs be challenged but the all-time record high of 115 degrees set on July 8, 1905, could be rivaled."

Holy shit

Thanks to Republicans in the pockets of fossil fuel companies
True. Amazing how minimalist the left live in terms of travel, cars, home size, and boats.

And all those nuclear power plants the liberal states are currently building.

Admit it. You want to scream you care but live like you don’t give a shit.

Last edited:
True. Amazing how minimalist the left live in terms of travel, cars, home size, and boats.

And all those nuclear power plants the liberal states are currently building.

Admit it. You want to scream you care but live like you don’t give a shit.
I will vote for candidates who care and try to make things better, you will probably vote for candidates who will actually try to make things worse

Trad never took stats in college. Hard to converse with the poorly educated

Reactions: fsu1jreed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT