ADVERTISEMENT

Late 2nd round draft pick? $1.25M Guaranteed

OnceAhawk

HB MVP
Jan 29, 2015
The 62nd pick of the April 2015 NFL draft was a corner back out of Miami (OH). This guy signed a 4 year deal; he got a $981,864 signing bonus with $1,251,864 guaranteed.

There is talk that Desmond King might also be a late 2nd rounder for the April 2016 draft. If so, he might end up with a $1,000,000 signing bonus. Can't blame him if he leaves early for the NFL.

And just a reminder on Brandon Scherff; as the #5 overall pick, he signed a 4 year, $21.2M deal (100% guaranteed); he received a $13.69M signing bonus.

Crazy crazy money.

Source: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

Yeah I really don't see why he wouldn't leave early if he stays at this pace. What else does he have to prove?

A professional baseball pitcher and golfer would be the ideal...less body damage...and playing into your 40s...

Yeah I really don't see why he wouldn't leave early if he stays at this pace. What else does he have to prove?

Some guys like the college experience and want to experience great things as a team...plus Desmond might be able to shave some more time off his 40 and other testing metrics to improve his draft position. As it stands, I'm not sure Desmond is going to be a workout warrior at the combine, he doesn't have elite speed, strength, etc. but as he has proven, he is simply a great football player with instincts that are off the charts. Those latter traits don't show up in Indy with the stopwatches on. He will get no better advice and counselling than he will from the Iowa staff, so whatever he decides it will be an informed decision.

Its really going to boil down to a personal decision. We've seen it go both ways with guys like Bulaga, Gallery, Reiff, Clark, etc. If Desmond had redshirted, I would say the odds of declaring would be extremely high, however he is a true junior, so it could go either way.

Iowa is having a special season this year, but on paper we are set up for an even better season next year, so that could be important to Desmond, we just don't know.

whatever he decides, wish him the best, he has proven to be one of the best corners we've seen in the past three decades.

go hawks!

Reactions: citizenHawk
you have to remember where some of these kids are coming from; most don't have much money and a million dollars would change their life

plus, leaving now gets you one year close to your NEXT NFL contract, where you get an even bigger signing bonus and guaranteed money

Iowa will do the paperwork for King and if the NFL comes back projecting him as a 1st or 2nd rounder, I think he is gone.

The only way I see him staying is if he gets injured at the end of the season or is part of a high profile burning. Neither of which I hope will ever happen. The guy is just a stud and we are lucky to have him this season. His INTs have single handedly given us at least an extra victory this season.

I doubt another year is going to have much impact on his forty time, but if he could improve it that would be huge. Another year might give him a better chance to hone his kick return skills, which could add to his value. If we figured out a way to use him on offense it might even give him some Heisman hype. Really hope he comes back, it could make our defense and set us up for a historic run. In the end, that may be enough to keep him here.

Crazy money. Injury prone game.

I think a lot depends on how the rest of the season plays out. If Iowa gets to a big stage, and he performs, the buzz sort of dictates quite a bit. On the other hand, if things go south a little bit, he may want to return just to get another opportunity.

If he has reasonable prospects as a 2nd round pick, or higher, he will go.
As much as I would want him back, that would be the decision I would advise were he my son.

I think he goes out this year if he gets a 2nd round grade but I think he will and should also look at next years crop to see his chances of improving. If he is a 2nd round grade this year he could always get a good insurance policy on himself in case he gets injured next year and drops way down in the draft or out of it completely.

When Iowa finishes 12-0 and then wins the national title...it would be a good time for him to exit to the NFL...

Take the money take the money take the money. You can always come back and get an education.

The 62nd pick of the April 2015 NFL draft was a corner back out of Miami (OH). This guy signed a 4 year deal; he got a $981,864 signing bonus with $1,251,864 guaranteed.

There is talk that Desmond King might also be a late 2nd rounder for the April 2016 draft. If so, he might end up with a $1,000,000 signing bonus. Can't blame him if he leaves early for the NFL.

And just a reminder on Brandon Scherff; as the #5 overall pick, he signed a 4 year, $21.2M deal (100% guaranteed); he received a $13.69M signing bonus.

Crazy crazy money.

Source: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

King is currently projected about 10th at the cb position.
This would rarely make the second round

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT