ADVERTISEMENT

LBs vs WRs/RBs

Feb 25, 2008
Just thinking about some different things football-related and something that came to mind was the criticism of Iowa constantly getting beat in matchups of LBs on athletic receivers and RBS.

If other teams do this.....surely Iowa does this as well. But I cannot recall one time this is ever highlighted in threads about upcoming games.

The closest thing I can come up with is all the different solid TES we've had over the years and the "size advantage" we could have against LBs, that we utilize more than fans honestly know, and still less than we probably could.....at least in terms of actual positive statistical production.

But you would think Wadley on a LB is a favorable matchup, or finding a way to pair one of our receivers with an opponent's weaker LBs because surely not all 3 of our opponent's LBs are all stud all-conference/All-American athletes..............

And I am assuming we try to do this anyway. It just goes back to the probability that our corp of receivers lack the skills to make the same impact that other teams get out of these matchups.......either that or our schemes aren't as good, which is entirely possible considering we're not operating out of a spread, which lends itself to matching athletes on LBS.

So what are your thoughts on this? If others do this to Iowa, shouldn't we do this to others? Do you think they don't or can't?

Just wanted to get others' thoughts since this is rarely discussed from the Iowa offensive side of things.

tumblr_lj9n0ePoQC1qe8kd9o1_500.jpg

For the most part, I think our linebackers can handle the task. Niemann is probably our best LB outside cover in these situations - he was a high school WR and coaches son, smart player. Bower is another story, at least the last few games. I think Chryst will try to pick on him Saturday, Hopefully he will be up to the task.

For the most part, I think our linebackers can handle the task. Niemann is probably our best LB outside cover in these situations - he was a high school WR and coaches son, smart player. Bower is another story, at least the last few games. I think Chryst will try to pick on him Saturday, Hopefully he will be up to the task.
I agree though I think that while Niemann has improved, he was picked on and struggled a bit early in the season. I also think our depth at LB isn't quite where we hoped it would be at this point with so many guys now in their 2nd, 3rd and 4th years in the program.

But this is also my point for this thread. We're talking about what teams (Wisconsin) will try to do to our LBs. What can OUR receivers and RBs do to Wisconsin's LBs? Can or will we do anything? Can Iowa find mismatches?

If a LB is match up with RB you better have pressure on QB because the LB can cover for about 3 seconds.This mismatch happens all the time on Sunday's

We would absolutely help our chances at beating Wisconsin if we can find and exploit mismatches, that's how teams win. Finding the other teams weakness and finding a way to take advantage of that! Also making good during game adjustments... Still think Wadley and DMJ and Parker needs to be used in the passing game.

What can OUR receivers and RBs do to Wisconsin's LBs? Can or will we do anything? Can Iowa find mismatches?

With Kittle out, I think that any mismatch would have to be created by our RBs, primarily Wadley and Mitchell, but I don't think that will be tried. I don't think Iowa RBs will be running downfield routes. I do believe dump off passes to RB could be an effective counter-measure to Wisconsin's many blitzes and I hope that happens.

With Kittle out, I think that any mismatch would have to be created by our RBs, primarily Wadley and Mitchell, but I don't think that will be tried. I don't think Iowa RBs will be running downfield routes. I do believe dump off passes to RB could be an effective counter-measure to Wisconsin's many blitzes and I hope that happens.

Maybe Fant gets some real reps and cause some match up problems with his size.. But I think you are right Wadley and DMJ will not be utilized in an awesome play making down field route running capacity..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT