ADVERTISEMENT

Learning to Talk to the Media

conn53victor

All-Conference
Oct 15, 2014
Do athletes get specific training/advice on how to talk to the media? I’m not talking about Caitlin Clark. She handled the press as a high school senior (Cue the video), but most players do a good job in front of the camera or microphone. Of course, the players have been high profile before college. Also they grew up with video chats and interacting with technology.

I know Bluder instructed Clark to take a class (unsure if it was public speaking or an interviewing class but you get the picture), when she saw how much more Clark would be interviewed in the near future. The university also does presentations each semester for student athletes on various topics, ones that relate to NCAA drug testing, ways you can become ineligible etc. I would imagine they’ve received some instruction on social media presence and how to engage with the media as well at some point. Not sure they receive much more training beyond this though.

Based on how quickly Clark’s star rose, it wouldn’t shock me if they didn’t then bring in someone to work with Caitlin one on one given the circumstances. At one point someone on here mentioned USC had reached out to Iowa when Juju came in asking how to handle all this. Fortunately for Iowa, Caitlin has handled it all like a pro.

Reactions: conn53victor
Caitlin was really one of a kind. She was an outstanding public speaker. Spoke clearly with well thought out answers. Lucy and Hannah had good answers yesterday, they just needed to speak up.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT