ADVERTISEMENT

Lee Kuan Yew dies at age 91

Titus Andronicus

HR Legend
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
The man who is considered to be the founder of Singapore.

"Lee Kuan Yew, who dominated Singapore politics for more than half a century and transformed the former British outpost into a global trade and finance powerhouse, setting a template for emerging markets around the world, has died. He was 91.

Mr. Lee's core principles--including a focus on clean and efficient government, business-friendly economic policies, and social order--helped attract massive investment and many of the world's biggest companies to Singapore after he became prime minister in 1959, catapulting living standards to First World status from Third World levels in hardly more than a generation." WSJ

"At the end of the day, what have I got? A successful Singapore. What have I given up? My life." ... Lee Kuan Yew

Here is a link to the BBC Obituary.
This post was edited on 3/24 8:08 AM by Titus Andronicus

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-12975980

I guess this thread did not really inspire. For some reason I thought that this would ultimately become a semi-big story ... the death of a lifetime leader in an Asian nation ... but one who was free market and capitalist in his leanings, and who has stunned his nation and the region with his death.

Sort of like Eva Peron or Stalin did, but in this case a really good guy!

In any case, Bill Clinton and Henry Kissinger are attending his funeral, so at least our political class kind of gets it, even if Obama and the media does not.

U.S Delegation to Singapore

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT