ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s say you get punched in a televised, sporting competition…

ping72

HR Legend
Jan 14, 2009
Just saw the video of the Liberty basketball player who got punched. He was rolling around on the ground holding his face.

So to my question: if this happens to you, do you really sell that you got punched and are hurt to maximize the other person’s punishment?

Or do you act tough and eat the punch like a champ even though that increases the odds the refs will miss it?

Goal is to win the game, therefore, react hurt, maximize punishment, hopefully get a starter from other team ejected, and you might get some free throws and the ball.

Retaliating only likely negates your advantage, and you could get ejected rather than the other player, depending on what ref sees and doesn’t see.

This is what was drilled into us when I played.

Reactions: ping72 and torbee
Goal is to win the game, therefore, react hurt, maximize punishment, hopefully get a starter from other team ejected, and you might get some free throws and the ball.

Retaliating only likely negates your advantage, and you could get ejected rather than the other player, depending on what ref sees and doesn’t see.

This is what was drilled into us when I played.

This.

And while the Liberty / NMSU situation was obvious, a lot of times the guy who retaliates is the one who gets caught. Of course that's a little different in College / Pro where you can use replay - in lower leagues what the ref sees is what they'll call and it will hold.

Reactions: ping72 and VodkaSam
I got punched once, but I took it like a champ and got laid that night.

I1uj.gif

My son played QB in high school. He said he “hollywooded” any time he got touched close to the end of plays to try and draw a flag. Worked several times.

Reactions: ping72
I punched McLovin one night. When he woke up he blew some guy behind the Wendy's dumpster. I think he was concussed though.

Reactions: funksouljon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT