ADVERTISEMENT

Let's just collapse the Greek System

22*43*51

HR Legend
Nov 23, 2008
Although, Greek letters on sweat shirts are a great identifier of pretentious pricks for the rest of us.

"The mystery of where members of the University of Oklahoma chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon went viral earlier this month-and resulted in the chapter and two students being booted off campus-has been solved.

On Friday, OU's president announced that after interviewing more than 160 students, school officials had determined that the chant is "widely known and informally shared" by members of SAE nationally, reported
USA Today. OU's investigation determined that students were taught the chant while participating in a leadership cruise four years ago that was sponsored by the national fraternity."

Link

Originally posted by 22*43*51:

Although, Greek letters on sweat shirts are a great identifier of pretentious pricks for the rest of us.

"The mystery of where members of the University of Oklahoma chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon went viral earlier this month-and resulted in the chapter and two students being booted off campus-has been solved.

On Friday, OU's president announced that after interviewing more than 160 students, school officials had determined that the chant is "widely known and informally shared" by members of SAE nationally, reported
USA Today. OU's investigation determined that students were taught the chant while participating in a leadership cruise four years ago that was sponsored by the national fraternity."

Link

I think you have identified what the greek system is all about. And the rest of us are able to find friends on our own.

I confess that I know very little about frats. Do fraternities get special privileges from universities? Or do universities make money off fraternities?

Couldn't the members of SAE (or whatever) continue to live together, be racists together, cheat together, abuse each other, have wild parties, assault women and all the rest - whether the university likes it or not?

How does this work?

I did not belong to a fraternity in undergrad.I tried it post grad and thought that is would not be so bad because people would be more mature-not.I had a lot of fun but it deterred from focusing on academics.

The broad brush is not appropriate here. Every school has different Greek rules and regulations. Iowa is very subdued compared to schools that have great numbers in fraternities and sororities. To suggest that all people are pretentious, etc, it depends on what house and where. In the South, greek life is a much bigger deal. Also, the African American students have a great number of national houses, so do you lump them into your argument too?

Link

Just curious-what college did you attend to get this negative view of the greek system?

Originally posted by stevenpatrick:

Link

Just curious-what college did you attend to get this negative view of the greek system?
U of I

U of I
I have never had a conversation where the specific university made a difference.

It's like riding mopeds, or fat chicks.

They are both something that you did when you were young, dumb and/or drunk and you rather not talk about it.

U of I
I have never had a conversation where the specific university made a difference.

They are both something that you did when you were young, dumb and/or drunk and you rather not talk about it.
UI is very tame as it relates to the Greek system compared to the East Coast and esp. the South. Seems the school and region makes quite a bit of difference actually. It's been a long time since I was in school, but it seemed like it was a way bigger deal at ISU than Iowa back then.

Collapsing the Greek system is good. But let's not forget about the professional greek houses and most CERTAINLY let's not forget about the Black Greek houses.

All or nothing. Can't pick or choose winners and losers.

By the way, I was a Lambda Chi Alpha at Iowa in the 80's. All the charity events that the Greek houses did to donate money to worthy causes will be gone as well.

Oh, and while we're at it, any and all clubs need to go away as well.

Originally posted by PBhawkeye:

U of I

UI is very tame as it relates to the Greek system compared to the East Coast and esp. the South. Seems the school and region makes quite a bit of difference actually. It's been a long time since I was in school, but it seemed like it was a way bigger deal at ISU than Iowa back then.
Yup. Clearly the OP's experience is limited to ISU and UNI fraternity alumni.

Originally posted by IMCC965:
Collapsing the Greek system is good. But let's not forget about the professional greek houses and most CERTAINLY let's not forget about the Black Greek houses.

By the way, I was a Lambda Chi Alpha at Iowa in the 80's. All the charity events that the Greek houses did to donate money to worthy causes will be gone as well.

Some of those "societies" are not applied to("Rushed", "Bid", etc.), but awarded due to academic accomplishments.

I was only suggesting the abolition of fraternal orders that use drunkenness and debauchery as their main marketing campaign.

I also don't think you can look at it University by University, as these are National orders. I find in interesting that Liberal Arts Universities have tolerated fraternities that hold any segregated views on their membership(white, black, Jew etc.), weather openly advertised, or not.

Btw, I did plenty of volunteering at Iowa without being under the obligation of a dues gathering club.

Originally posted by hawkisak:

Also, the African American students have a great number of national houses, so do you lump them into your argument too?
Sure. Pretentious racist pricks can come in all colors and creeds.

Frat houses are a relic of the past. Colleges
no longer need a crutch for guys to form life
long lasting relationships with other men.
The business world has changed and Frats have
lost their influence on a college graduate's resume.

U of I

In other words, "I was in a frat, loved every minute of it, and is where I perfected the art of being a pretentious prick".
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Mattski:

U of I

In other words, "I was in a frat, loved every minute of it, and is where I perfected the art of being a pretentious prick".
I also raised a ton of money for charity, made lifelong friends, had some good times with beautiful women you could only dream about, and attended parties that the likes of you will never know. So I'm not exactly regretting my decision.

U of I

They are both something that you did when you were young, dumb and/or drunk and you rather not talk about it.

UI is very tame as it relates to the Greek system compared to the East Coast and esp. the South.   Seems the school and region makes quite a bit of difference actually.  It's been a long time since I was in school, but it seemed like it was a way bigger deal at ISU than Iowa back then.
Yup.  Clearly the OP's experience is limited to ISU and UNI fraternity alumni.  
I also raised a ton of money for charity, made lifelong friends, had some good times with beautiful women you could only dream about, and attended parties that the likes of you will never know.   So I'm not exactly regretting my decision.

I had a roommate that used to make examples of guys like you. However he would go to the ISU frat houses to mess with the brothers. I'm sure he would've found you ......interesting.

U of I

Agreed. Iowa doesn't need a strong frat system to cultivate their douches.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

U of I

It's like riding mopeds, or fat chicks.Â

They are both something that you did when you were young, dumb and/or drunk and you rather not talk about it.

UI is very tame as it relates to the Greek system compared to the East Coast and esp. the South.  Seems the school and region makes quite a bit of difference actually. It's been a long time since I was in school, but it seemed like it was a way bigger deal at ISU than Iowa back then.
Yup. Â Clearly the OP's experience is limited to ISU and UNI fraternity alumni. Â
I also raised a ton of money for charity, made lifelong friends, had some good times with beautiful women you could only dream about, and attended parties that the likes of you will never know. Â So I'm not exactly regretting my decision.

I had a roommate that used to make examples of guys like you. However he would go to the ISU frat houses to mess with the brothers. I'm sure he would've found you ......interesting.
How would he "make examples" of fraternity guys? You seem to indicate that he would go into a fraternity house, where he was seriously outnumbered, to pick fights and start crap. Which I'm pretty sure didn't happen.

Considering you never went to a college with a fraternity and really don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge on the subject, maybe you had better sit this one out. I'm sure there will be a thread about single fatherhood popping up soon. Maybe you should frequent that one instead.

How would he "make examples" of fraternity guys? You seem to indicate that he would go into a fraternity house, where he was seriously outnumbered, to pick fights and start crap. Which I'm pretty sure didn't happen.
...Tough Fraternity guys.
roll.r191677.gif

U of I

It's like riding mopeds, or fat chicks.Â

UI is very tame as it relates to the Greek system compared to the East Coast and esp. the South.  Seems the school and region makes quite a bit of difference actually. It's been a long time since I was in school, but it seemed like it was a way bigger deal at ISU than Iowa back then.
Yup. Â Clearly the OP's experience is limited to ISU and UNI fraternity alumni. Â

I also raised a ton of money for charity, made lifelong friends, had some good times with beautiful women you could only dream about, and attended parties that the likes of you will never know. Â So I'm not exactly regretting my decision.

True story Swag. I was visiting some friends up in Ames. We were partying all up and down Welch Ave. We had a run-in with one of the fraternities on that street. I forgot which one, but it was a large grey building they lived in, that was between the dorms and the bar/restaraunt area.

Anyways a douchey fratty boy, comes up to one of my friends girlfriends and starts belligerantly harassing her. Without a seconds hesitation, my friend was right in his face, and immediately the started fighting. Some of his 'brothers' came out from the front door and got into it as well. Not realizing that there was at least 7-8 of us. From there it was full scale brawl, that lasted about 1 min at most.

Why so short? Because despite their numbers, which had to be at least 15 or so at the time, they were getting their asses kicked and realized that this was an actual fight. Cops got called, we scattered and they got into trouble, because a witness pointed out that they had started it. None of us got talked to by the police, nor did they realize that most of us were directly across the street in another house with one of the people we were visiting. Awesome stuff.

So anyways Steven, numbers aren't everything. Despite math being the key to the universe.

U of I

UI is very tame as it relates to the Greek system compared to the East Coast and esp. the South.   Seems the school and region makes quite a bit of difference actually.  It's been a long time since I was in school, but it seemed like it was a way bigger deal at ISU than Iowa back then.
I also raised a ton of money for charity, made lifelong friends, had some good times with beautiful women you could only dream about, and attended parties that the likes of you will never know.   So I'm not exactly regretting my decision.

How would he "make examples" of fraternity guys?  You seem to indicate that he would go into a fraternity house, where he was seriously outnumbered, to pick fights and start crap.  Which I'm pretty sure didn't happen.

Considering you never went to a college with a fraternity and really don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge on the subject, maybe you had better sit this one out.  I'm sure there will be a thread about single fatherhood popping up soon.  Maybe you should frequent that one instead.

Fortunately for him he wasn't alone, yes they were out numbered but they were larger than the frat guys. Plus if the frat guys were anything like you, I'm sure they just took it....

Let me guess, this was you...

Affliction shirt
True religion jeans or dockers
Lacoste shoes
White Oakley sunglasses

About 5'8 180 lbs......
Does curls, skips leg day

I bet you shave your arms?

Originally posted by IMCC965:

Why can't you pick and choose? Some are social organizations, some are professional or academic organizations. Are you just anti greek? You should try it, its fun.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

U of I

It's like riding mopeds, or fat chicks.ÂÂ

Yup.  Clearly the OP's experience is limited to ISU and UNI fraternity alumni. ÂÂ
I also raised a ton of money for charity, made lifelong friends, had some good times with beautiful women you could only dream about, and attended parties that the likes of you will never know.  So I'm not exactly regretting my decision.

How would he "make examples" of fraternity guys? Â You seem to indicate that he would go into a fraternity house, where he was seriously outnumbered, to pick fights and start crap. Â Which I'm pretty sure didn't happen.

Considering you never went to a college with a fraternity and really don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge on the subject, maybe you had better sit this one out. Â I'm sure there will be a thread about single fatherhood popping up soon. Â Maybe you should frequent that one instead.

Fortunately for him he wasn't alone, yes they were out numbered but they were larger than the frat guys. Plus if the frat guys were anything like you, I'm sure they just took it....

Affliction shirt
Lacoste shoes
White Oakley sunglasses

About 5'8 180 lbs......

So, to review, you befriend guys that went into frat houses just to pick fights (out of jealousy, I presume) yet I'm the one being questioned on my friend/fraternity selection?

Just curious on what jail your buddy's in right now. I see your ability to select friends rivals your ability to select women.

Originally posted by hawkisak:
The broad brush is not appropriate here. Every school has different Greek rules and regulations. Iowa is very subdued compared to schools that have great numbers in fraternities and sororities. To suggest that all people are pretentious, etc, it depends on what house and where. In the South, greek life is a much bigger deal. Also, the African American students have a great number of national houses, so do you lump them into your argument too?
If the fraternity had been black and shouting anti white statements you wouldn't have seen it on national news.Never belonged to a frat but talk about painting with a broad brush.

So, to review, you befriend guys that went into frat houses just to pick fights (out of jealousy, I presume) yet I'm the one being questioned on my friend/fraternity selection?
What is there to be jealous of?

It's not like getting into a Fraternity involves any special qualifications.

Any insecure basket case with a pulse can get admitted, if they schlepp hard enough. ...and pay dues of course. Don't forget the membership fees.

Any insecure basket case with a pulse can get admitted, if they schlepp hard enough. ...and pay dues of course. Don't forget the membership fees.

Nothing to be jealous of.

As for the rest, it really isn't true. Yes, members pay dues, that is true.

Don't be the guy that gets so wrapped up in an argument you start saying silly things that aren't true. Same goes for SP and others.

U of I

How would he "make examples" of fraternity guys?  You seem to indicate that he would go into a fraternity house, where he was seriously outnumbered, to pick fights and start crap.  Which I'm pretty sure didn't happen.

Considering you never went to a college with a fraternity and really don't have a lot of first-hand knowledge on the subject, maybe you had better sit this one out.  I'm sure there will be a thread about single fatherhood popping up soon.  Maybe you should frequent that one instead.

Affliction shirt
Lacoste shoes
White Oakley sunglasses

About 5'8 180 lbs......

Just curious on what jail your buddy's in right now.  I see your ability to select friends rivals your ability to select women.

Actually, he was one of my roommates and we ended up becoming friends. I was the youngest one so they picked on me some.

Actually, I believe the fight started over his ex girlfriend who was dating an ISU football player at the time and belonged to the house if I remember the story right.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't jealous of the guy tho. Anyway 10 years later and him and the girl were dating in Dallas.

My taste in friends and women suit me just fine Stevie. He's not in jail however made an all Big 12 team at linebacker.

U of I

It's like riding mopeds, or fat chicks.ÂÂÂ

Yup.  Clearly the OP's experience is limited to ISU and UNI fraternity alumni. ÂÂÂ
I also raised a ton of money for charity, made lifelong friends, had some good times with beautiful women you could only dream about, and attended parties that the likes of you will never know.  So I'm not exactly regretting my decision.

Affliction shirt
Lacoste shoes
White Oakley sunglasses

About 5'8 180 lbs......

So, to review, you befriend guys that went into frat houses just to pick fights (out of jealousy, I presume) yet I'm the one being questioned on my friend/fraternity selection? Â

Just curious on what jail your buddy's in right now. Â I see your ability to select friends rivals your ability to select women.

Actually, he was one of my roommates and we ended up becoming friends. I was the youngest one so they picked on me some.

Actually, I believe the fight started over his ex girlfriend who was dating an ISU football player at the time and belonged to the house if I remember the story right.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't jealous of the guy tho. Anyway 10 years later and him and the girl were dating in Dallas.

My taste in friends and women suit me just fine Stevie. He's not in jail however made an all Big 12 team at linebacker.
So, aside from you admitting that you don't remember the story at all, it turns out your buddy wasn't "messing with fraternity guys" at all. He was a petty, jealous guy. Who was driven by jealousy that his ex was with someone else.

I'm guessing your "friend" at ISU was Jason Berryman.

Well, it's obvious you weren't in a fraternity as all you can spew is stereotypes and hyperbole that have no merit.

Membership fees? So what. People pay membership fees to be insiders here.

I was in a fraternity and I very much enjoyed it. And yes, there were douche guys in my house that I didn't hang with. There will be those types in all walks of society. To try and paint the fraternity system with such a broad brush is disingenuous.

Not that Steven needs someone to agree with him, but he's correct. We did a ton for charity, I still have great relationships with many friends from back in the day, and I have many great memories and enjoyed a lot of the parties that we held.

My guess is that you probably ended up at, or tried to get into, fraternity parties even though you have all this disdain for them.

U of I

Affliction shirt
Lacoste shoes
White Oakley sunglasses

About 5'8 180 lbs......

Just curious on what jail your buddy's in right now.  I see your ability to select friends rivals your ability to select women.

So, aside from you admitting that you don't remember the story at all, it turns out your buddy wasn't "messing with fraternity guys" at all.  He was a petty, jealous guy.  Who was driven by jealousy that his ex was with someone else.   

I'm guessing your "friend" at ISU was Jason Berryman.  

No, he didn't go to ISU. The ISU player he punked was Nic Moser.

So jealous...

ec
None of these things ever happened at my house. It's amazing how naive you are about a subject that infuriates you so. Honestly, you seem like the type of guy that probably lived in the dorm through his junior or senior year.

Originally posted by Panic1769:

Well, it's obvious you weren't in a fraternity as all you can spew is stereotypes and hyperbole that have no merit.

Membership fees? So what. People pay membership fees to be insiders here.

I was in a fraternity and I very much enjoyed it. And yes, there were douche guys in my house that I didn't hang with. There will be those types in all walks of society. To try and paint the fraternity system with such a broad brush is disingenuous.

Not that Steven needs someone to agree with him, but he's correct. We did a ton for charity, I still have great relationships with many friends from back in the day, and I have many great memories and enjoyed a lot of the parties that we held.

My guess is that you probably ended up at, or tried to get into, fraternity parties even though you have all this disdain for them.
My favorite part about this bi-annual argument is it always brings out the best in SP. Anyway, there are a handful of national fraternities (probably 50% or more by now) who have seen the writing on the wall and adapted their policies and culture to remove the pledging/hazing/etc atmosphere. I was in a fraternity (you would never guess it if you met me) and I was never once hazed, called a "pledge" or treated as anything other than an equal to everyone else in the organization. We tried to identify people who only wanted to join for the parties and stayed clear of them during rush. Those people typically ended up quitting after a year or two anyway, because let's face it, anyone can find good drinking buddies for free, so why spend money on it?

The new fraternity model is one of membership development. Want to become a member? Good. We expect you to join two other campus organizations, maintain a certain GPA, and give back to the community. Still a member when you're a Junior and Senior? Now it's time to provide you with the skills to find a good job, be a leader on campus, and develop into a well balanced adult. Will we have a little fun along the way? Sure, but it won't be the focus of your membership, and definitely won't define it.

It doesn't surprise me at all that SAE is the national fraternity in the middle of all this. Their national organization has been one of the most resistant to change, and it's going to come back to haunt them.

So jealous...

ec
None of these things ever happened at my house. It's amazing how naive you are about a subject that infuriates you so. Honestly, you seem like the type of guy that probably lived in the dorm through his junior or senior year.
None of those happened in my house either. Yes, we did haze but there was no paddling or beating pledges in any way, shape or form.

So you can just keep going on with these incorrect images of how you think fraternity life is in your warped mind. Rest assured 22*33*51, everything you think about what happens in fraternities is completely wrong. But you can keep digging the hole and make yourself look even more foolish.

So the linked article in the OP didn't happen?

Or, do you have more "not in my house" qualifying statements, to help cherry pick your experience away from what is an antiquated, exclusive, sometimes racist, mysogistic club for shaping young perverse minds?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT