ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Talk About The Greg Davis O

cliffhuxtible

All-Conference
Aug 27, 2006
I have been extremely critical of the GD offense throughout his tenure at Iowa, and am yet to discover any reason to change this position. I am not a football coach, but I did play small college football for four years in a system that was practically identical to the KoK scheme. In turn, I understood the KoK offense extremely well, from the overall philosophy to the blocking schemes, etc.

I would prefer that this thread not turn into an argument about how this is actually Kirk's offense, etc. I don't care. What I'd like to know is, what is this offense supposed to look like when it's working? What is the general philosophy to Davis' approach? What is he trying to get the defense to do?

In my opinion, if you're used to the KoK approach, then the GD offense can look wrong at times. I don't see the play-action, the fakes, the run setting up the pass much or vice versa. I see a lot of short passes to crowded spots on the field, or the so-called "horizontal" passing scheme. I see what appears to be a much wider variety of plays, but in turn, less of an obvious attempt to get the defense to react in a particular way.

As I said, I'm not a coach, and as frustrating as I find the GD offense, somebody on this board must know more than I do. I don't think it takes a football coach to determine that this offense has been disappointing to date, but what is it supposed to look like?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.