ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk Iowa's run game

ICWestfan

HR Legend
May 26, 2005
Now that everyone has had time to cool off, it appears to me that something is amiss in the run game. Is it the fact that Iowa is lacking an explosive back like Akrum? Is Iowa not using the proper back? Is the 3yd pass the new run game?

If it were me, id start Young, use Sargent as the 3rd down back, and spell IKM for those 2.

Iowa desperately needs to get the run game going and play the proper back and call the proper run play given the situation.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
To me, it’s a combination of the fact that none of the running backs have the opportunity to get into a rhythm combined with the coaching staff not playing the most successful running back(s).

Edit: I agree with what you would do

Reactions: HaydenHawk8
It's a few things....
-Our interior OL is not good
-RB by committee has never worked at Iowa. The last time we did this was 2014 for half a season before we just went with two guys. You have a primary back then the guy who gets 5-10 carries. That is it IMO.
-Our RB's lack vision for the blocking scheme we do, which leads me to
-None of our RB's are really feature backs. Recruiting misses have contributed to this.

Absolutely..guys can't get into a flow of the game. TY is prolly the best running back pure yardage wise. Our center and guard play has been horrible all year

To me, it’s a combination of the fact that none of the running backs have the opportunity to get into a rhythm combined with the coaching staff not playing the most successful running back(s).

Edit: I agree with what you would do

This! The RB have no chance to get into a flow and they seem to go from I formation to shotgun every other play. Our offense is over thinking and trying to get too cute at times. Just line up and run the ball.

The glaring issue yesterday was our OLINE was getting pushed back a lot. NW dline isn’t that good and our OLINE couldn’t get any push.

Stop pulling scholarships from 4 star high school Army All Americans would be a start who has nearly 1300 yards this year of rushing and can run 30 times a game! I love it all the Iowa Sports media was wrong and mentioning Iowa would still be OK!

We can talk about Iowa’s poor run blocking, but Toren Young is still averaging damn near 5 yards per carry on the season

I wish they would have "mic'd up" patty fitz yesterday the dude could have told you Iowas play pre snap with amazing accuracy.

I wish they would have "mic'd up" patty fitz yesterday the dude could have told you Iowas play pre snap with amazing accuracy.

They could have mic'd up me and gotten the same thing. This is the worst offensive scheme in all of college football -- D3, NAIA, and JUCO included -- and it has not improved over the span of 20 years and 3 different offensive coordinators. Time for KF to go.

Is it me or has 77 been called for an absurd number of penalties this year

There is a lot wrong with our running game. OL, just not getting it done, not physical enough, running backs don't have good vision and they need a second burst. I think if we still had Wadley we would be unbeaten. I would like to see 4 TE set sometime with Fant and Hockenson out wide. How about using extra OL men in short yardage. Like Brincks at TE and another at FB. Be creative.

Reactions: Hawk Writer
Just watch the opposing team's LBs and safeties on plays where it's obvious we're running the ball. Before the ball is even snapped they're cheating in the direction the run is going, and immediately after the ball is snapped they're all flowing to the exact hole our RB is trying to hit. I can't remember which team it was, I think last year, where one of their defenders after the game made the comment that they knew what our O was doing and where the play was going.

This is a huge part of the problem. The OL can't be expected to block 8 guys. Fitz is probably the best in the conference at reading our coaches like a comic book. The run game is just way too predictable.

How does Wisconsin do it? Teams know they are going to run it too and load the box to make it as difficult as possible but many seasons they pull it off with flying colors anyway. I don’t support the notion that just because teams know you are going to run a play means it’s automatically a bad call. The flip is you know you are good when you execute and they can’t stop you even though they know it’s coming. That’s where I want to be and we are not.

We’ve been bad on the OL for a number of years. It was often masked by Wadley who made guys miss or something out of noting. Akrum would pop a big run or two that padded the overall rushing numbers. I’m not sure we’ve had a run over 20 yards this year now.

Wirfs should be playing guard next to Jackson with Kallenberger at right tackle. We needed a strong side to run behind and Wirfs is an NFL guard and will be day 1. Render is a center and has always been. Then you play your next best which is Reynolds at right guard. Bottom line is we need to get bigger, stronger and tougher up front. What made the 2002 offense was the shear size, toughness and athleticism of the OL. Something Kirk never really embraced as the blue print going forward. Thus great individual players, but weakness in the interior especially.

Toren Young is a grinder back but he’s not elusive at all and goes down at the first defender who dives at his feet. Take him on up high and it’s a lot different story. I like him but this is why he’s likely not playing as much. I can’t see where any of the 3 backs are better than the others. Sargent has been running hard and making some plays but had a costly and untimely fumble in that process.

The only thing I will add to what has been previously stated here is that other teams figured out how to defeat the zone blocking scheme a few years ago: penetrate. The zone relies on scraping a guy then handing him off to the guy behind you while you go look for someone at the next level. D linemen just come off the back hip of the first lineman and blow up the play before the next guy can get to them. They don't worry about level or gap integrity because outside Wadley, there has been no one who can punish them consistently and the threat of getting beat off play action has been minimal. Yet they ran zone blocking almost exclusively yesterday. Hell, it worked great in 2002, so it will today, right?

I am not sold on the oline coaching. Also not sold on the scheme. I mentioned this in another thread, I can’t remember when the oline was dominant. And there are no playmakers in the backfield. They can be effective, but they aren’t playmakers.

OL wasn't getting any push, and any hole closed up so fast the RB wasn't able to get thru it. NW backs used cutbacks around the pile to gash us for 5-10 yards on 1st down all day long, VERY frustrating. Meanwhile, we were constantly staring at 2nd and 8, 2nd and 9.

It starts with the OL not opening holes, and the QB not making teams pay for stacking the box. I fault Stanley the most at this point, since he constantly misses seeing wide open receivers, leading him to too many dump-offs and forced throws into coverage. He's just not seeing the field.

That being said, I don't think BF's play-calling was all that bad. In the past couple of games, I think it's OL and QB execution. But it's up to the coaches to try other options when those on the field aren't performing. Or as in Fant's case, not getting the chance to perform.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I'm not defending the running game's lack of production. However, all three of them are sophomores, so the future seems bright.

How does Wisconsin do it? Teams know they are going to run it too and load the box to make it as difficult as possible but many seasons they pull it off with flying colors anyway.

Wisconsin routinely has a stable of elite NFL level running backs and a massive O-line. We have neither. Our system used to work when Iowa could overpower people at the LOS, but it seams like we can nolonger do that. We either need to start landing elite running backs and O-lineman, or change our offensive system entirely to a more modern format.

Wisconsin routinely has a stable of elite NFL level running backs and a massive O-line. We have neither. Our system used to work when Iowa could overpower people at the LOS, but it seams like we can nolonger do that. We either need to start landing elite running backs and O-lineman, or change our offensive system entirely to a more modern format.

Fair point but I’m a proponent of putting out a massive, tough OL. If you do that, the backs will come. It won’t work as easily in reverse.

My issue is the modern offense will require some players that we may not get on a consistent basis. I don’t see how we are going to show up at a fight and out modernize high end programs.

I see nothing wrong with power football but you’ve got to put a premium on recruiting and developing lineman. Every class should have 4 guys that better meet a certain size requirement as a starting point for their recruitment. You develop and weed out the ones who can’t play or are not tough enough then.

5-6 guys blocking 8-9 with both safeties within 10 yards of the LOS. Rinse and repeat

Wisconsin never sees this?

Sure they do. They also have better receivers when they have a good team (RIP Cephus) and elite talent at the RB position. We have very average talent at WR and RB. Safe to say Stanley isn’t striking fear into any hearts. Fade routes to 6’ Riley Cooper is terrifying for defenses to scheme against I’m sure

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT