ADVERTISEMENT

Life360

BelemNole

HB Legend
Mar 29, 2002
It's funny that the app once used to secretly track kids is now used by those same kids to keep in contact with their friends.
We never tracked our kids but they have the app now and track all their friends. Apparently it's a thing with this generation.

Reactions: noleclone2
We have it.

I hate it.

Won't last long.
Like I said, we never had it. But it makes me feel better that someone can find her if something happens. She's working at a bar/restaurant as a hostess this summer and when she closes she walks out to the overflow parking by herself at about 1am. I tend not to sleep until I hear her come in.

I just find it funny that the kids have taken over the app for themselves.

Does it do anything different than location sharing within native maps apps? My wife shares her location with a few of her friends on Apple Maps and we share our locations on Google Maps.

Does it do anything different than location sharing within native maps apps? My wife shares her location with a few of her friends on Apple Maps and we share our locations on Google Maps.
Not really. Although you can set a geo fence and get notifications when people enter/leave.

Why do you hate it? I planned on having it for my kids.

Kids will leave their phones at friends houses when going somewhere they shouldn't or claim their phone died and shut it off.
Like I said, we never had it. But it makes me feel better that someone can find her if something happens. She's working at a bar/restaurant as a hostess this summer and when she closes she walks out to the overflow parking by herself at about 1am. I tend not to sleep until I hear her come in.

I just find it funny that the kids have taken over the app for themselves.
Okay, let me rephrase. I don't hate it, it's annoying and that's because it's new and I haven't had a chance to mess with the notifications. Every time my wife leaves the house, I get constant notifications. Yesterday I'm sitting in line at the inspection station and I get a text. "Getting your Jeep inspected? I thought you had a busy work day [wink]" It's great for my 11 YO with a new iPhone.

Our dogs know the life 360 arrived home notification alert sound that goes off on my wife's phone. When they hear it they rush to the door awaiting whichever family member just got in.
When the kids first started driving it was nice to have to check on their speeds and just make sure they were generally where they said they'd be.
I'd have been effed if my parents had it when I was in high school.

Why do you hate it? I planned on having it for my kids.

Kids will leave their phones at friends houses when going somewhere they shouldn't or claim their phone died and shut it off.
Kids will leave their phones? C’mon. 😀

My wife and kids use it all the time, I prefer my privacy and don't use it. I noticed that Life360 IPO'd last month and has gone from $26 to $35. If it dips back to IPO prices I might buy a few shares, seems like it's a must have app for most families we've talked to

Yes. It creates driving reports that tracks speed, marks excessive excelleration, hard stops, and phone usage. It helped us keep our son from driving like an idiot because he knew we tracked it and he got his ass grounded for going 90 mph once.

Our dogs know the life 360 arrived home notification alert sound that goes off on my wife's phone. When they hear it they rush to the door awaiting whichever family member just got in.
When the kids first started driving it was nice to have to check on their speeds and just make sure they were generally where they said they'd be.
Same here

Pavlov was right 😆

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
I have a notification alert for when someone pulls in my driveway (Ring app) and my dogs do the same. Start barking and run to the door.

It is stalking. Period.
It’s too much. Constantly checking to see where someone is and saying it’s for “safety” is an overreach. My goal as a parent is to build a trusting relationship with my kids, and being a watchdog is no way to do that.

Yeah, it would’ve sucked if our parents had it when we were kids. But that is no justification for turning around and doing that to our kids.

It’s too much. Constantly checking to see where someone is and saying it’s for “safety” is an overreach. My goal as a parent is to build a trusting relationship with my kids, and being a watchdog is no way to do that.

Yeah, it would’ve sucked if our parents had it when we were kids. But that is no justification for turning around and doing that to our kids.

Yeah, I find it creepy. It is not just parents doing this. It is teenagers doing it to other teenagers.

It just seems so pervy

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Lots of helicopter parents on here. I have 4 teenagers and have never considered using tracking devices. We trust them and they are usually honest with us. My oldest’s girlfriend’s mom uses it on her and she hates it. She has left her phone at a friends house before to get around it.

Or @alaskanseminole ‘s example of getting a text from his wife while getting the Jeep inspected. Can a person just have some privacy and NOT have to announce every move they plan on making?
giphy.webp

Sometimes a kid needs to explore or get in a little mischief without his parents knowing.

Maybe they want to go into the rough neighborhood to score some blow. That isn’t realistic if their parents are tracking them.

can relate.

We use the “find my phone” app

Reactions: TennNole17
We just purchased a Gizmo watch/phone for my 10 year old. It has calling, text and location options which is great so he can run around the neighborhood, walk home from school, etc.

That about the extent I’m willing to go. Once he ages out of the device I don’t see myself purchasing or utilizing tracking services but who the hell knows

Or @alaskanseminole ‘s example of getting a text from his wife while getting the Jeep inspected. Can a person just have some privacy and NOT have to announce every move they plan on making?
Exactly! I told her we needed to figure this darn app out come Christmas shopping season. I don't need to know she's in the Craftsmans tool dept and she doesn't need to know I'm in Bath and Body works.

Now, if you're the cheat'n on your spouse type, this app could really get you screwed (or not).

We have an Apple ecosystem. My daughter just started driving. I have alerts for when she leaves/arrives at home or work.

She works early- so it’s nice to wake up and see she arrived
Without the 360 App? My whole family, as you know, is iOS except for me. I'll probably wind up switching, but not yet.

Without the 360 App? My whole family, as you know, is iOS except for me. I'll probably wind up switching, but not yet.
Without the 360 app yes. It’s in the “find my” app.

I will say- it’s inconsistent with the notifications for some reason. But I can always open the app and see her location.

Reactions: alaskanseminole

There's those that constantly check then there are those like my wife that just can't go to sleep without at least knowing they're safe. She checks it before bed if they're out and about, that's about it. We have open trusting relationships with our kids and don't micro manage them, never have.
Funny story on this... a couple weeks ago the youngest (17) was at a small party and before the wife went to bed she checked his location. It's was around midnight. It showed him in a pond. Not near it, in it. She texted him just to make sure everything was good and we got back a picture of a half dozen bullfrogs, that's it.
Turns out the party thrower had a pond in her backyard and a few of the guys decided to catch some frogs and cook them over the bonfire lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT