ADVERTISEMENT

LMFAO - NYC cops trying to get through window at Columbia

I was too busy boozing and trying to talk to the hotties at Fieldhouse and the Vine to protest.

Protesting seems like work. Plus apparently you don’t get snacks.
Indeed. When I was that age I was like Littlefinger in GoT: Before I take any action, I ask myself, will this get me closer to having teh secks with her?

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Universities already manage their endowments to avoid things like for profit prisons. This would be similar.

Protesters have said they want to see schools cut investments with Israeli companies that may benefit from the war in Gaza. They're also demanding schools divest from military weapons manufacturers and cut research and academic ties with other Israeli universities.
It's not the students' money, it is donor money. Donor money making their tuition cheaper. Would they like donations to the endowment stemming from Boeing and Raytheon dividends returned to the donors?

It's not the students' money, it is donor money. Donor money making their tuition cheaper. Would they like donations to the endowment stemming from Boeing and Raytheon dividends returned to the donors?
It's the universities endowment. They can manage it how they like. If they decide that the student body is dumb and ignore them that might work. It might also mean that they have fewer donations from those alumni in the future.
I think students have a right to have these discussions.

Reactions: Tenacious E
To the OP: Have you ever tried to crawl or bend over OR get through a small window wearing a helmet, gear around the waist, and a level four bullet proof vest? It's not an easy task to accomplish.

And by the way, I have.
Oh wow good job. Did you cramp up at all. Very few would be able to accomplish such a task for sure.

But why would protesting at random schools across America locking yourself in buildings effect change? If I'm the school I'd be like what in the hell did I do to deserve this?
Precisely. All you're doing is making the lives of those around you difficult. In no way does that generate sympathy or support for your cause. Blocking a highway doesn't make me want to support you — it makes me late to pick up my kids or get to work. Blocking the campus/building entrance doesn't make me throw my support behind you — it makes me unable to get to class and enjoy an education I'm paying for.

I used to see this type of thing routinely when I lived in Madison. There are a lot of noble causes, some of them I agree with. But impeding uninterested peoples' lives and actively disrupting them and shaming them, especially doing so day after day after day, does no favors for the cause.

Precisely. All you're doing is making the lives of those around you difficult. In no way does that generate sympathy or support for your cause. Blocking a highway doesn't make me want to support you — it makes me late to pick up my kids or get to work. Blocking the campus/building entrance doesn't make me throw my support behind you — it makes me unable to get to class and enjoy an education I'm paying for.

I used to see this type of thing routinely when I lived in Madison. There are a lot of noble causes, some of them I agree with. But impeding uninterested peoples' lives and actively disrupting them and shaming them, especially doing so day after day after day, does no favors for the cause.
exactly GIF

Most are calling from divestment. They don't want their tuition dollars aiding in killing of innocents. That seems like a reasonable reason to protest.
Then take it to the school's board of regents or other governing body. There are ways to petition and seek change. Give statements to the school paper. Hand out some flyers. Work social media. Build your case in a decent manner and act serious if you want to be taken seriously. Be reasonable and people will respond (usually) in a reasonable fashion.

Full on occupation of open spaces, shouting down people minding their own business and simply going to class or their dorms, breaking into buildings and refusing to leave — none of that is helping your cause or enacting change. If anything, it's trolling uninterested parties into actively rooting against you.

Then take it to the school's board of regents or other governing body. There are ways to petition and seek change. Give statements to the school paper. Hand out some flyers. Work social media. Build your case in a decent manner and act serious if you want to be taken seriously. Be reasonable and people will respond (usually) in a reasonable fashion.

Full on occupation of open spaces, shouting down people minding their own business and simply going to class or their dorms, breaking into buildings and refusing to leave — none of that is helping your cause or enacting change. If anything, it's trolling uninterested parties into actively rooting against you.
Protests happen because they work.
Most people can get where they want to go, just not thru their preferred route.

Protests happen because they work.
In some instances in history, sure, protests work. But that’s not happening with the latest campus activity. These schools are not divesting and these tactics are not changing minds and winning over new supporters in any meaningful way. You can see it in the overall news coverage across the political spectrum.

Most people can get where they want to go, just not thru their preferred route.
Yes, but they shouldn’t have to. They paid tuition and it’s also their space to peaceably traverse. USC and others have canceled live commencement ceremonies, which is incredibly unfair to thousands of young grads who put in the time and work.

So much of this is theatre by the protesters. If they believe so fiercely in the cause, why are so many covering their faces with disposable masks and such? What are they afraid of? Why won’t they proudly show themselves in solidarity?

In some instances in history, sure, protests work. But that’s not happening with the latest campus activity. These schools are not divesting and these tactics are not changing minds and winning over new supporters in any meaningful way. You can see it in the overall news coverage across the political spectrum.

Yes, but they shouldn’t have to. They paid tuition and it’s also their space to peaceably traverse. USC and others have canceled live commencement ceremonies, which is incredibly unfair to thousands of young grads who put in the time and work.

So much of this is theatre by the protesters. If they believe so fiercely in the cause, why are so many covering their faces with disposable masks and such? What are they afraid of? Why won’t they proudly show themselves in solidarity?
Sure it’s theater. It’s also theater with the people filming themselves trying to push thru when they could go around.

Let’s all take a moment for the protestors at UCLA. Hopefully no cases of frostbite or amputations.

Godspeed.

I went to Flordia before we were married for my wife's college graduation in December. Temperature was like 40 to 50 degrees and people were walking around campus in snow boots and winter coats.

We call that shorts and hoodie weather round here!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT