ADVERTISEMENT

Longwood vs. Charleston Southern

GT Hawkaholic

HR All-American
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2009
Not sure if anyone noticed or cares but former Iowa opponent Longwood (lowly 328 RPI) took down the Big South's top seed Charleston Southern (137 RPI) today in the quarterfinals.

It may seem insignificant but Longwood was one of the three teams ranked in the 300's that is really holding down our strength of schedule. One would have to assume they make a big jump in RPI for that type of win and potentially it will take them out of the 300+ range. It would be nice if they can keep winning because every little RPI boost at this time of year helps when it comes to seeding.

It's my favorite time of the year for the next few weeks.

Originally posted by GT Hawkaholic:
Not sure if anyone noticed or cares but former Iowa opponent Longwood (lowly 328 RPI) took down the Big South's top seed Charleston Southern (137 RPI) today in the quarterfinals.

It may seem insignificant but Longwood was one of the three teams ranked in the 300's that is really holding down our strength of schedule. One would have to assume they make a big jump in RPI for that type of win and potentially it will take them out of the 300+ range. It would be nice if they can keep winning because every little RPI boost at this time of year helps when it comes to seeding.

It's my favorite time of the year for the next few weeks.

I just went to check that, I mentioned in the Bracketology post this morning that the three teams that we needed to win today were UNI, Northern Illinois, and Longwood. Longwood was an underdog, but the other two should be favored.

Bumped them up from 328 to 313 today. If they were to win their next game, it would likely get them out of the 300's, especially if it's against Radford. I think it bumped the Hawks up 2 spots from 39 to 37.

Ditto on loving this time of year. Just that much better when your team is actually relevant.

That's great Longwood took down the Blue Hose earlier in the week. Now down go the Buccaneers! I hope they play the Highlanders next as I think the Lancers could stick it to anyone in the Big South the way they are playing.

Go Longwood!
This post was edited on 3/6 3:58 PM by DanL53

Thank you for the live updates. it is crazy to see that these low bottom feeders affect your RPI as much as the top teams. If we hadn't scheduled those teams I think our RPI would be in the top 25

Longwood playing inspired basketball due to the recent death of former Longwood player Jerome Kersey.

Thank you for the live updates. it is crazy to see that these low bottom feeders affect your RPI as much as the top teams. If we hadn't scheduled those teams I think our RPI would be in the top 25
By accepting to play in New York in the 2K Classic, we had to accept the first two games they scheduled for us in Carver as part of the "tournament".

Those were Longwood and NDSU.

Originally posted by DanL53:
By accepting to play in New York in the 2K Classic, we had to accept the first two games they scheduled for us in Carver as part of the "tournament".

Those were Longwood and NDSU.
NDSU was co-Summit League champs this year along with rival South Dakota State.

Wow, give it a rest. Our SOS was plenty tough this year, especially compared to some of the others in the Big Ten.

I was saying scheduling THREE of those teams hurt us. I understand the tournament aspect but Maryland Baltimore County and Alcorn State are also at the bottom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT