ADVERTISEMENT

Look out. Streaming is turning into cable TV.

I'm real close to canceling netflix. I just don't watch it enough to justify that kind of cost.
It's all i watch. I go to my parents for cable. I dvr the stuff i like and show up for ballgames. Streaming sucks btw.

It's all i watch. I go to my parents for cable. I dvr the stuff i like and show up for ballgames. Streaming sucks btw.
Well, watching games in person isn't really an option for me so streaming will have to do. They are killing the market though by pricing themselves in the same range as cable companies. The entire reason to switch to streaming was to save money.

Reactions: Bishop-71
Well, watching games in person isn't really an option for me so streaming will have to do. They are killing the market though by pricing themselves in the same range as cable companies. The entire reason to switch to streaming was to save money.
To many streaming services now and even with my Roku I'm overwhelmed.

Reactions: BioHawk
If you have hobbies, YouTube has a ton of free content and documentaries.

I will be getting into the habit of picking up Netflix for a few months a year for some documentaries and movies and then dropping it.

Outside Football, I watch about 60 minutes of TV a week.

To many streaming services now and even with my Roku I'm overwhelmed.
I could deal with that if they were still cheap, but they all cost like $10 per month now. It was different when cable companies got charged $3 per month for a package. We just can't have nice things.

Reactions: Bishop-71
I was going through an old box of papers that I found before I shredded them this weekend, and there was a DirecTV bill in it from 2008 or so. $55/month and I had everything that I wanted - sports, movies, etc.....and I didn't have to pay for an internet connection to get it.

I've gotta imagine that I'd be pushing $300/month between all of the streaming services for what I had for $55 just 15 years ago

I was going through an old box of papers that I found before I shredded them this weekend, and there was a DirecTV bill in it from 2008 or so. $55/month and I had everything that I wanted - sports, movies, etc.....and I didn't have to pay for an internet connection to get it.

I've gotta imagine that I'd be pushing $300/month between all of the streaming services for what I had for $55 just 15 years ago
Well, then broadcasting companies started raising carriage fees and cable companies started balking at paying them. And then people started to lose stations and most importantly, losing access to watching sporting events. So, they started looking for other ways to get them. This freed up the different companies to start charging what they've always wanted to charge but as a whole it has made it far worse for the consumer. There likely needs to be an investigation on whether or not there has been collusion to raise prices but I doubt that's the case. It just costs a lot more to do this stuff.

Cable and satellite companies did not help themselves with crappy customer service and requiring the use of obsolete converter boxes that nullified 3/4 of the functionality of a modern TV. Also, they wanted to charge extra for features like high definition and 4k. Instead of showing why they could offer more than piecemealing together multiple streaming services they emphasized the reasons why people should drop cable and satellite and look elsewhere. Now, they likely won't be able to get it back, at least not under their current branding.

Of course, the streaming services have now pushed the pendulum too far in the other direction and are making the same mistakes that cable and satellite did by abusing the consumer rather than courting them. So, I expect it to start swinging the other direction again, if it hasn't started that already. Maybe someone will figure it out but it's likely the stockholders forcing these bad practices that drive away consumers so it may just constantly swing back and forth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT