ADVERTISEMENT

Look out. Streaming is turning into cable TV.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Watch your wallet. Streaming is starting to turn into cable TV.

Tech is not your friend. We are. Sign up for The Tech Friend newsletter.

Verizon is planning to offer its mobile phone customers a dual subscription to Netflix and Max, previously called HBO Max, for about $10 a month, the Wall Street Journal reported last week. If you bought both subscriptions with commercials separately, you’d pay about $17.

Disney, your mobile phone provider and other companies are increasingly offering “free” or discounted combinations of streaming subscriptions.
You need to take a hard look at whether these offers are really a bargain or if this is the slippery slope to paying for entertainment you don’t really want.

You know from cable TV how this can turn out. Eventually we pay more and more money for stuff we don’t want to watch.

Make no mistake, powerful players in streaming are openly talking about re-creating aspects of cable TV. Your best tactic to save money is to be ruthless about what you will watch and how much it’s worth it to you.

How to save money on streaming​

Streaming companies now realize that digital entertainment may never be as popular as they hoped, and they’re antsy to make it more profitable.
As a result, the big-name streaming services have been raising prices. And prices will keep going up.
If you’re willing to sit through commercials, many of the bigger streaming services, including Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, Peacock and Max, now sell lower-priced subscriptions with ads.

For example, Netflix with ads costs $6.99 a month in the United States, while the cheapest subscription without commercials is $15.49.

In a twist on that pattern, Amazon will soon automatically put commercials into your Prime Video programming, unless you pay $2.99 extra a month to turn them off.
(Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post. Interim CEO Patty Stonesifer sits on Amazon’s board.)

You should also check whether your mobile phone provider throws in free or discounted subscriptions to streaming services. Vulture has a list of phone companies that offer access to streaming subscriptions at no added cost.
(You don’t have to stream on your phone, but if you switch phone providers, you might lose access to the subscription.)

Be aware that those deals on streaming subscriptions may be available only if you have a higher-cost phone plan with unlimited data. Those unlimited data plans aren’t worth it for everyone.

And when you see twinned subscriptions like Verizon’s reported combo of Netflix and Max or the company’s $25 monthly subscription combo to Netflix and the NFL Plus sports streaming service, ask yourself whether you really want both — or if you’re pulled in by a promise of savings.

Read more tips to save money on streaming.

Evaluate whether that ‘deal’ is a good deal​

The powerful CEO of the company that owns the Max streaming service has been professing his love of “bundles.”

That’s the industry term for what cable TV does in selling you a bunch of companies’ entertainment programming for less than what you’d pay for all of it separately.
Skip to end of carousel

End of carousel
Streaming bundles are popping up everywhere.
When a mobile phone plan throws in a “free” streaming subscription, that’s a bundle.
So, too, are discounted combo subscriptions like those from Verizon and Disney’s twin subscription to Disney Plus and Hulu. The combination costs $19.99 a month without commercials. That’s $12 a month less than buying both separately.
But again, we saw the downsides of bundles with cable TV. We started to pay for a bunch of TV we didn’t watch to get a few things we did.

A discounted combination subscription to Disney Plus and Hulu or Netflix and Max is only a bargain if you watch both enough to justify even a discounted price.
Let’s try a cable TV red flag rule for streaming services. Ask yourself, do I really need this streaming service? How easy is it to quit? And is it a good deal for you — or more for the bosses trying to turn streaming into cable?
Finally, think of your streaming subscriptions like you do a gym membership.
If you haven’t used it in a while, drop it. Streaming is getting too expensive to keep paying for Max because maybe you’ll eventually watch “the Gilded Age.”
Unlike many gym memberships, it is easy to quit most monthly streaming subscriptions. You can always subscribe again later if there’s something new you’re desperate to watch.

The streaming model works when there is less than 5 services to worry about. However, when every company has their own service it becomes unwieldy and services like netflix are getting ridiculously expensive. The thing is, even the "with ads" versions are still more expensive than the cable or dish companies would pay for them. It's worse when they don't even take the time to put the commercials in an appropriate spot in the show so you end up with some key moment interupted by a stupidly placed commercial breaks (and most shows still have cuts for adding commercials when they are filmed, even on services that don't run commercials...or at least didn't).

I shouldn't be surprised but as long as they don't start trying to charge me $15 a month for some stupid decoder box that effectively eliminates 75% of the functionality of a smart TV and enables them to charge extra for HD or 4k signals I'll manage. For now it has increased competition, which is a good thing, although we will see how long that lasts.

People will start settling on a few services. There is only so much one can consume.

Its the bundles like Youtube TV I wonder about. its basically live sports plus stuff thats free on other streams.

Reactions: GOHOX69
The streaming model works when there is less than 5 services to worry about.

This is correct. When it was just Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc it was easy to keep track of what you are spending. Then it became Discovery+, HBO/MAX, Paramount, Peacock, etc, etc, etc. I was actually just looking at what tools were out there to start to organize how many streaming services I have so I can keep track of them.

I know we all wished for an ala carte type of solution. It seems like we got it, but now it seems like you have to subscribe to each individual streaming service depending on what you want to watch.

This is correct. When it was just Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc it was easy to keep track of what you are spending. Then it became Discovery+, HBO/MAX, Paramount, Peacock, etc, etc, etc. I was actually just looking at what tools were out there to start to organize how many streaming services I have so I can keep track of them.

I know we all wished for an ala carte type of solution. It seems like we got it, but now it seems like you have to subscribe to each individual streaming service depending on what you want to watch.
Which wouldn't be so bad if you got the same rates the cable companies got. But you don't, it usually costs twice as much, even for the "with ads" option.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Which wouldn't be so bad if you got the same rates the cable companies got. But you don't, it usually costs twice as much, even for the "with ads" option.

And they seem to raise rates at will. Netflix was $11 when I first started streaming it. I just got a notice it's going to $22 next month. Disney Bundle just went from $11 to $18. It's crazy

I was actually just looking at what tools were out there to start to organize how many streaming services I have so I can keep track of them.
It's called a Roku. Although, with that being said, a new TV I bought has every possible app downloadable to it which are displayed on a band, decreasing the utility of a Roku.

Reactions: Bishop-71
And they seem to raise rates at will. Netflix was $11 when I first started streaming it. I just got a notice it's going to $22 next month. Disney Bundle just went from $11 to $18. It's crazy
I'm real close to canceling netflix. I just don't watch it enough to justify that kind of cost.

“In a twist on that pattern, Amazon will soon automatically put commercials into your Prime Video programming, unless you pay $2.99 extra a month to turn them off.”

IMG-2992.jpg

Wow! Amazon has some nerve!

• Haha
Reactions: PoopandBoogers
When I first cut the cord from Dish Network to only YTTV back in 2020 I though it was a decent deal

$65 compared to $120

Now that's lead to YTTV, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, B1G+, Peacock $115
I got rid of Netflix early this year and we use Amazon Prime occasionally

Of course if I wasn't a sports fan I could drop the last 3. The price is about a wash, at least I don't have to worry about my TV going out in a storm I guess.

When I first cut the cord from Dish Network to only YTTV back in 2020 I though it was a decent deal

$65 compared to $120

Of course if I wasn't a sports fan I could drop the last 3. The price is about a wash, at least I don't have to worry about my TV going out in a storm I guess.
But if you desire to watch the content on Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, B1G+, and Peacock, those aren't included with Dish either. You'd be paying for those regardless of provider. YTTV is still a better deal, and it is certainly a better product, imho.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I went back to local cable company, which includes HBO max, I’m content.

I looked at getting Fubo so I could watch the Nuggets here in Denver and the cheapest plan is like $75/mo (!) and the reviews on the quality are less than stellar.

First, I absolutely detest ads on streaming services.

I used to pay by the year for disney+ and espn+. My no pic girlfriend had hulu (with ads) and I barely watched it.

When espn+ went from $60 to $100 per year, I did the math and realize it would almost be as cheap to do the ad free disney+ bundle by month so I switched. I don't watch disney+ too much (but my son does), but it would be more expensive to get rid of it and do hulu and espn+ seperately.

I watch Hulu a lot now since i have the ad free version.
watch ESPN+ mostly for the NHL and USL Championship
Apple TV has some great content (plus MLS season pass was included with TMobile this season)
Peacock has some ok stuff. Outside of Premier League, I don't watch too much on it.
I also signed up for Uzzu Tv for $130 for sports. that works out to 10.83/month

I don't pay for "Live TV". I have an antennae that pulls all of my local channels.

I lets go by ad free price per month from their website

Disney+ Bundle ad free (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+) 24.99/mnth
Peacock 11.99/mnth
Apple TV+9.99/month

Total per month $47. add in the monthly amount for uzzu and that is $58 a month. That is cheaper than what I was paying for live TV, and I don't feel like I am "missing" anything.

I am on the fence if i renew Uzzu next year or find the streams of sporting events I want to watch by other means.

I looked at getting Fubo so I could watch the Nuggets here in Denver and the cheapest plan is like $75/mo (!) and the reviews on the quality are less than stellar.
I signed up a couple years ago for Fubo to watch Tottenham matches. I have never had an issue with picture quality. It sometimes glitches for a moment or two but that has been my only negative experience with it. Think I pay 89 a month. I can justify it to watch the Spurs

$65 compared to $120

I cut the cord at $180 and got down to $60 and when that doubled I dropped everything and tried to reevaluate what I really needed. I’m right back where I was with business class internet to handle my household needs. I still prefer to stream.

I am not up to speed. Wifey plus me and 4 kids. Obviously need the high speed internet. But with these other services can we watch tv from multiple places/tv? Do we have access to local networks? Last time I went down this rabbitthole it didn't make sense

+edit, can I record shows like a TIVO does? I am big into recording stuff so I can turn 30 minutes into 20.

It's called a Roku. Although, with that being said, a new TV I bought has every possible app downloadable to it which are displayed on a band, decreasing the utility of a Roku.

You've missed my point. I've owned Rokus for a decade. I'm talking about something like Rocket Money that tracks all of those subscriptions for you and allows you to cancel them through the app

You've missed my point. I've owned Rokus for a decade. I'm talking about something like Rocket Money that tracks all of those subscriptions for you and allows you to cancel them through the app
It didn’t occur to me that you would need to put your apps in a spreadsheet. I guess I don’t see the point of that.

It didn’t occur to me that you would need to put your apps in a spreadsheet. I guess I don’t see the point of that.

You don't lose track of what you've subscribed to? Especially after they all went ala carte from the major streaming services? That's pretty much the theme of this thread?

You don't lose track of what you've subscribed to? Especially after they all went ala carte from the major streaming services? That's pretty much the theme of this thread?
No I don’t. I thought the theme of the thread was cutting the cord was supposed to be cheaper but many people are paying a lot more than they want.

No I don’t. I thought the theme of the thread was cutting the cord was supposed to be cheaper but many people are paying a lot more than they want.

Yeah, because now everyone is paying $7.99 for a bunch of apps rather than a couple that they can track.

Watch your wallet. Streaming is starting to turn into cable TV.

Tech is not your friend. We are. Sign up for The Tech Friend newsletter.

Verizon is planning to offer its mobile phone customers a dual subscription to Netflix and Max, previously called HBO Max, for about $10 a month, the Wall Street Journal reported last week. If you bought both subscriptions with commercials separately, you’d pay about $17.

Disney, your mobile phone provider and other companies are increasingly offering “free” or discounted combinations of streaming subscriptions.
You need to take a hard look at whether these offers are really a bargain or if this is the slippery slope to paying for entertainment you don’t really want.

You know from cable TV how this can turn out. Eventually we pay more and more money for stuff we don’t want to watch.

Make no mistake, powerful players in streaming are openly talking about re-creating aspects of cable TV. Your best tactic to save money is to be ruthless about what you will watch and how much it’s worth it to you.

How to save money on streaming​

Streaming companies now realize that digital entertainment may never be as popular as they hoped, and they’re antsy to make it more profitable.
As a result, the big-name streaming services have been raising prices. And prices will keep going up.
If you’re willing to sit through commercials, many of the bigger streaming services, including Netflix, Disney Plus, Hulu, Peacock and Max, now sell lower-priced subscriptions with ads.

For example, Netflix with ads costs $6.99 a month in the United States, while the cheapest subscription without commercials is $15.49.

In a twist on that pattern, Amazon will soon automatically put commercials into your Prime Video programming, unless you pay $2.99 extra a month to turn them off.
(Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post. Interim CEO Patty Stonesifer sits on Amazon’s board.)

You should also check whether your mobile phone provider throws in free or discounted subscriptions to streaming services. Vulture has a list of phone companies that offer access to streaming subscriptions at no added cost.
(You don’t have to stream on your phone, but if you switch phone providers, you might lose access to the subscription.)

Be aware that those deals on streaming subscriptions may be available only if you have a higher-cost phone plan with unlimited data. Those unlimited data plans aren’t worth it for everyone.

And when you see twinned subscriptions like Verizon’s reported combo of Netflix and Max or the company’s $25 monthly subscription combo to Netflix and the NFL Plus sports streaming service, ask yourself whether you really want both — or if you’re pulled in by a promise of savings.

Read more tips to save money on streaming.

Evaluate whether that ‘deal’ is a good deal​

The powerful CEO of the company that owns the Max streaming service has been professing his love of “bundles.”

That’s the industry term for what cable TV does in selling you a bunch of companies’ entertainment programming for less than what you’d pay for all of it separately.
Skip to end of carousel

End of carousel
Streaming bundles are popping up everywhere.
When a mobile phone plan throws in a “free” streaming subscription, that’s a bundle.
So, too, are discounted combo subscriptions like those from Verizon and Disney’s twin subscription to Disney Plus and Hulu. The combination costs $19.99 a month without commercials. That’s $12 a month less than buying both separately.
But again, we saw the downsides of bundles with cable TV. We started to pay for a bunch of TV we didn’t watch to get a few things we did.

A discounted combination subscription to Disney Plus and Hulu or Netflix and Max is only a bargain if you watch both enough to justify even a discounted price.
Let’s try a cable TV red flag rule for streaming services. Ask yourself, do I really need this streaming service? How easy is it to quit? And is it a good deal for you — or more for the bosses trying to turn streaming into cable?
Finally, think of your streaming subscriptions like you do a gym membership.
If you haven’t used it in a while, drop it. Streaming is getting too expensive to keep paying for Max because maybe you’ll eventually watch “the Gilded Age.”
Unlike many gym memberships, it is easy to quit most monthly streaming subscriptions. You can always subscribe again later if there’s something new you’re desperate to watch.
Yup. and Air BnB is turning into Hotels.com.

I am not up to speed. Wifey plus me and 4 kids. Obviously need the high speed internet. But with these other services can we watch tv from multiple places/tv? Do we have access to local networks? Last time I went down this rabbitthole it didn't make sense

+edit, can I record shows like a TIVO does? I am big into recording stuff so I can turn 30 minutes into 20.

Yes you can watch on multiple TVs. You'll need a device (SmartTV, Roku, Firestick, etc) in order to install the apps that you use to stream those services. You'll need one for each TV that you want to stream to. 4 TVs = 4 Rokus. With services like YouTube TV, Hulu Live, etc you will get your local channels (KGAN, KCRG, KWWL, etc in Eastern Iowa) but some of those services limit how many devices can be setup to stream. Youtube TV for example only allows for streaming on up to 3 TVs. There is some limitations there but you don't run into that often.

For DVR, YouTube TV gives you unlimited amounts of DRV storage so you can record all of the shows you do today and fast forward through the commercials. Hopefully that provides some insight on streaming services. Thankfully for you I'm not a lawyer, otherwise this response would have cost you $50

• Love
Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Yes you can watch on multiple TVs. You'll need a device (SmartTV, Roku, Firestick, etc) in order to install the apps that you use to stream those services. You'll need one for each TV that you want to stream to. 4 TVs = 4 Rokus. With services like YouTube TV, Hulu Live, etc you will get your local channels (KGAN, KCRG, KWWL, etc in Eastern Iowa) but some of those services limit how many devices can be setup to stream. Youtube TV for example only allows for streaming on up to 3 TVs. There is some limitations there but you don't run into that often.

For DVR, YouTube TV gives you unlimited amounts of DRV storage so you can record all of the shows you do today and fast forward through the commercials. Hopefully that provides some insight on streaming services. Thankfully for you I'm not a lawyer, otherwise this response would have cost you $50

I can argue to the Court of Appeals, but I can't do the simplest things. I'll buy you a couple of bowling frames if you are ever my way.

• Love
Reactions: fredjr82
You don't lose track of what you've subscribed to?
the only thing i may lose track of is when my services renew if i pay for a year. I usually put those in my phone calendar a week or so before they renew to see if i want to renew for a year, switch to month to month or cancel.

Reactions: TheCainer

I would add that if you have the 4K package for youtube tv, you can have unlimited streams within your house. That is an extra $10 per month. Many would say its not worth it, but I have really enjoyed the 4k streams for college football games. After this season is over, I might drop it until next football season.

I would also add that while we have several Rokus, and you noted smart tvs will work, the newer tvs have pretty much any app you would want (or you can download the app from their "store" for free). On older smart tvs, the apps were limited. So if you have a newer tv, you can avoid the $40 to $100 you would spend for a streaming device.

Last edited:
I met a guy down at the VA that has a contact somewhere SE of DSM. He sells firesticks that has every app, every channel to include HBO, all pay for subscriptions, netflix, etc. $250 payment then monthly payment. I haven't breached it because I already paid for Prime, Peacock, Net, for the year. That and I'm scared that it is too good to last as an offer.

But I'm paying way too much for internet/cable with mediacom with apps on top.

I met a guy down at the VA that has a contact somewhere SE of DSM. He sells firesticks that has every app, every channel to include HBO, all pay for subscriptions, netflix, etc. $250 payment then monthly payment. I haven't breached it because I already paid for Prime, Peacock, Net, for the year. That and I'm scared that it is too good to last as an offer.

But I'm paying way too much for internet/cable with mediacom with apps on top.
I don't understand. The apps are free to download and a firestick costs like $40. What were the monthly payments he was asking for? Or is he suggesting that for $250, you get "free" (i.e., pirated) or discounted (i.e., pirated) content in perpetuity?

I don't understand. The apps are free to download and a firestick costs like $40. What were the monthly payments he was asking for? Or is he suggesting that for $250, you get "free" (i.e., pirated) or discounted (i.e., pirated) content in perpetuity?

Yeah, guy is retired Tech person. I kept asking is this legal? $250 is for the original stick and software. Monthly payments were pretty damn cheap. But i witnessed a guy going from one paying format to another. I saw it, so I believe it. The apps were included in perpetuity. Screen was in 4K

Still has this former con/born again left leaning mod a bit scared.

Reactions: Tenacious E

$65 compared to $120

Would subscribing to the last 5 really change if you had Dish vs YTTV? We switched from Direct a few years ago and have Netflix, Disney, Hulu, and Peacock, all of which we would still have with Direct TV.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Yeah, guy is retired Tech person. I kept asking is this legal? $250 is for the original stick and software. Monthly payments were pretty damn cheap. But i witnessed a guy going from one paying format to another. I saw it, so I believe it. The apps were included in perpetuity. Screen was in 4K

Still has this former con/born again left leaning mod a bit scared.
Go to youtube and search "jailbreaking a firestick" and you can do it yourself for free in 20 minutes. I've done a few and the gestapo has yet to show up for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT