ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead to Brutal 2025/2026

2D_

HR MVP
Apr 3, 2023
I was listening to the Locked on Hawkeyes podcast and Trent was talking about how 2024 could be Kirk's possible last season, as 2024's schedule is favorable and we have a huge amount of returning talent. But then he spoke about how 2025 and 2026 are going to be a brutal years. We'll be losing a huge amount of starters on both the offense and defensive sides, plus grueling schedules. The next two years will be rebuilding years for the team. We don't even know who will be QB after Cade leaves. There's no guarantee Sullivan will be the next starter.

Notable losses of Jay Higgins, Nick Jackson, Sebastian Castro, and almost our entire OLine.

How do you think the team will fare in the next few years? Maybe the 2026 schedule will change if we add more teams to the B1G?

2025 Iowa Football Schedule​

As long as we still play 3 non-conference games and have Minnesota and Nebraska every year, I don't think any schedule they give us could be considered brutal. I'd say 8-9 wins minimum in both those seasons. I guess OSU, Michigan and at Washington could be considered tough in 2026 but who knows if Michigan or Washington will be even be that good in three years, they could be on another coach by then if their new ones don't win right away.

As long as we still play 3 non-conference games and have Minnesota and Nebraska every year, I don't think any schedule they give us could be considered brutal. I'd say 8-9 wins minimum in both those seasons. I guess OSU, Michigan and at Washington could be considered tough in 2026 but who knows if Michigan or Washington will be even be that good in three years, they could be on another coach by then if their new ones don't win right away.
Well, one of those non-conference would have to be ISU who seem to be on the upswing according to some pre-season rankings. And as much as I despise to say it, little debby also appears to be on the upswing. But neither are guaranteed to actually be good, just something to be aware of. I think my main concern is just how much talent we're losing next year.

The 2025 schedule seems fairly manageable to me - or at least not much worse (if at all) than typical years.

2026 does look brutal tho.
I dunno, the toughest games look pretty balanced. The only diff is one more of the top teams on the road in '26. Wiscy and Nebraska could surprise. Michigan or Washington (most likely Washington) could fade. Who knows?

'25
Oregon
@USC
Penn St
@Wisconsin
@Nebraska

'26
Ohio St
@Michigan
@Washington
Wisconsin
Nebraska

Last edited:
The way I look at it. There’s 5 blue bloods that are pretty much a lock to be tough or impossible to win. OSU, Michigan, Oregon, and to a lesser degree USC and PSU. All the other teams pretty much take turns being good or mediocre. They have to capitalize on the years they only have those five teams twice or less.

The 2025 schedule seems fairly manageable to me - or at least not much worse (if at all) than typical years.

2026 does look brutal tho.
I think the biggest challenge for 2025 is how many starters we'll lose. There will be a lot of question marks on who's going to start. It'll be tough to lose Jay Higgins, Jackson, Castro, Harris on defense. While the offense will still be trying to figure things out, we'll have a competition for QB, a brand new OLine, and Lachey will be gone too.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Quite the chicken little hot take. Iowa reloads, we don't rebuild. Those schedules aren't brutal, but they do have some tough games. Those games are opportunities. Oregon and Ohio State coming to Kinnick? Yes, please!

I expect the usual Iowa outlook, and we'll go into both seasons with a Wins over/under of 7.5.

The way I look at it. There’s 5 blue bloods that are pretty much a lock to be tough or impossible to win. OSU, Michigan, Oregon, and to a lesser degree USC and PSU. All the other teams pretty much take turns being good or mediocre. They have to capitalize on the years they only have those five teams twice or less.
I just don't see all the groveling over USC. I'll wait until their in the league and see if they ever learn that they need to show up on defense in the B1G. Who exactly has USC beaten with a pulse in the last decade that garners all this cred? As for PSU we've beaten them plenty and certainly can again.

I think the biggest challenge for 2025 is how many starters we'll lose. There will be a lot of question marks on who's going to start. It'll be tough to lose Jay Higgins, Jackson, Castro, Harris on defense. While the offense will still be trying to figure things out, we'll have a competition for QB, a brand new OLine, and Lachey will be gone too.
TE will NOT be in issue.......

I think with the consolidation of the best teams into two conferences, there are a lot of teams that should expect an extra loss, maybe two extra losses every year. But that doesn’t just apply to us, that applies to nearly everybody in those two conferences.

It’s becoming more like the NFL where there are fewer gimme games and even good teams take losses.

With the time zone difference with the West Coast, I think that’s going to create a real home field advantage. It’s not like we are going to win every home game vs a West Coast team and lose every trip out there, but I would bet it leads to more upsets than normal each way.

I just don't see all the groveling over USC. I'll wait until their in the league and see if they ever learn that they need to show up on defense in the B1G. Who exactly has USC beaten with a pulse in the last decade that garners all this cred? As for PSU we've beaten them plenty and certainly can again.
I think those are probably the teams he puts in the “tough” category?

Seems fair, assuming that is his line of thinking.

Oh, I don't know. In 2025 Alabama goes to Florida State and plays Wisconsin at home. In SEC play the Tide plays LSU, Oklahoma, Tennessee, at Auburn, at Missouri and at Georgia among others.
2024 - WKU, USF, Mercer
2023 - Middle Tenneessee, Chattanooga, and USF
2022 - Utah State, ULM, Austin Peay
2021 - Mercer, Southern Miss, New Mexico State

Keep in mind that one of each of these games are played in November, where the most pivotal football games take place, every year.

Iowa's OOC is either as hard, or if not harder than what they play. It's cute to be purposefully obtuse, though.

Well, one of those non-conference would have to be ISU who seem to be on the upswing according to some pre-season rankings. And as much as I despise to say it, little debby also appears to be on the upswing. But neither are guaranteed to actually be good, just something to be aware of. I think my main concern is just how much talent we're losing next year.
The hawk coaching staff has proved, especially on defense, to be great at developmental aspects. Yeah, we can sort of look at 2025 but we havent even seen Lester's offense. If Lester can scheme receivers open and make it easier for QBs in the passing game and if that helps to running game improve by 25% then I feel a lot better about newly developed players being able to win games.

If Phil Parker is still here in 2026 then the defense should be at least above avg which will help in the win column along with very good special teams.

So the wins and loses in those two years will again depend on the offense being better. A much better offense will let Kirk control the game and again the wins will come. I think 8-4 records in those two years will be good as we have seen a lot of wins over the last 10 years

I think those are probably the teams he puts in the “tough” category?

Seems fair, assuming that is his line of thinking.
I see alot of people pimping them as an elite top 5-10ish team. Not buying that with their move to the B1G until I've seen them have to defend teams on a weekly basis, and play against teams that do play defense.....

Other than Wisconsin (which is a great non-con), their’s is also WEAK. But then they have W. Virginia, Florida State, and S. Florida. Very strong.

We schedule UMASS? Maybe the worst program ever is all I’m saying. There’s zero excitement about that one.
Really? Worse then Mercer? I could even tell you where that is.......

Definitely still have something to prove in the B10, that’s why I said to a lesser degree. But I think Riley will finally right the ship with all the recruiting advantages they have and changes with NIL. Remains to be seen but my guess is they’ll be a perennial top 15 team again moving forward.

With the expanded B1G, I wonder what will happen to the bottom tier teams, like Indiana. Will they get better thanks to more $$$? Or will they get worse as recruits (and coaches) decide they just can't be competitive.

If I were an Indiana football fan (if such a thing exists), I think I would prefer to join the MAC,

I don't see any forthcoming schedule for Iowa as "brutal" as long as they keep up and the next HC hire is good. Obviously you have teams that are always good like OSU, MICH, USC but after that it depends on coaching. PSU, ORE I would put in that next lot then a bunch of teams that can stay up near the top- IA, WIS, NEB, WASH.

I don't see any forthcoming schedule for Iowa as "brutal" as long as they keep up and the next HC hire is good. Obviously you have teams that are always good like OSU, MICH, USC but after that it depends on coaching. PSU, ORE I would put in that next lot then a bunch of teams that can stay up near the top- IA, WIS, NEB, WASH.
Oregon is going to be elite as long Phil and NIL are around.

2024 - WKU, USF, Mercer
2023 - Middle Tenneessee, Chattanooga, and USF
2022 - Utah State, ULM, Austin Peay
2021 - Mercer, Southern Miss, New Mexico State

Keep in mind that one of each of these games are played in November, where the most pivotal football games take place, every year.

Iowa's OOC is either as hard, or if not harder than what they play. It's cute to be purposefully obtuse, though.
You conveniently left out Texas as an ooc opponent in '22 & '23.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT