ADVERTISEMENT

Looking for advice about bats

gohawks50

HB Legend
Gold Member
Dec 28, 2010
I recently moved back to the house where I grew up on a farm. This spring I started noticing bat droppings in one spot on my deck which is along side the chimney for the for the fireplaces. I thought the bats were in the chimney since the fireplaces hadn't been used for decades. I contacted Orkin. They did several thousands of dollars work sealing up all the holes they could find to the attics and put a screen to cover the chimneys in June. The droppings seemed to go away for most of the summer, but they have recently returned. I contacted Orkin again and they sent a guy out to inspect their work. He says the bats are no longer getting in (even though my complaint was never about seeing bats in the house), but they must just be returning to roost on the roof looking for bugs and trying to get back in. So basically I'm out of luck. He suggested setting a bat house up away from my house. I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar experience. Would a bat house a actually improve my situation or would it draw more bats? Hopefully HBOT has some experts on bat control.

aa41b152-a640-4a3e-828d-9da46fbfff26_text.gif

GN6Pn-yXYAAekYO.jpg

You want bats, dude. Just not in the house. We put up a bat house in the back of our lot years ago to help with the mosquitos. Plus, I like watching them swoop around in the twilight.
Honestly, I would check into getting a bat habitat and find the best place to put it away from your house. They're really helpful creatures.
I know bats are beneficial and eat bugs, all I want is for them to choose to poop somewhere else besides my deck! Gimmered is a bat habitat different from a bat house?

I recently moved back to the house where I grew up on a farm. This spring I started noticing bat droppings in one spot on my deck which is along side the chimney for the for the fireplaces. I thought the bats were in the chimney since the fireplaces hadn't been used for decades. I contacted Orkin. They did several thousands of dollars work sealing up all the holes they could find to the attics and put a screen to cover the chimneys in June. The droppings seemed to go away for most of the summer, but they have recently returned. I contacted Orkin again and they sent a guy out to inspect their work. He says the bats are no longer getting in (even though my complaint was never about seeing bats in the house), but they must just be returning to roost on the roof looking for bugs and trying to get back in. So basically I'm out of luck. He suggested setting a bat house up away from my house. I'm wondering if any of you have had a similar experience. Would a bat house a actually improve my situation or would it draw more bats? Hopefully HBOT has some experts on bat control.
Dc Comics Batman GIF

I know bats are beneficial and eat bugs, all I want is for them to choose to poop somewhere else besides my deck! Gimmered is a bat habitat different from a bat house?
Getting them to roost somewhere else could fix that problem. Can you not see where they roost over your porch?

Set traps and ship them to Ohio. Bat soup is bigly there.

Seriously put up habitat but keep an eye out incase they start getting back in the house.

I have a similar problem. We have a bat the roosts in the corner of our covered deck. It leaves bat droppings everywhere. I like having the bats for mosquito purposes but the terrify my wife and I really don’t want it on my deck crapping everywhere. We strung a bunch of LED lights all around and especially right where the bat roosts in hopes the light would drive it away but it didn’t work. It’s still there. A couple nights ago I saw 3 or 4 bats flying around my driveway. I’m not sure where they are all roosting.

I’ve actually toyed around with putting up a bat house but wondered if it would just draw a lot more bats until they overcrowded that bat house and came back to the porch. Not sure what to do. I have a very large yard so I could easily put the bat house out a ways. I’d love to have less mosquitos too.

Reactions: gohawks50
I have a similar problem. We have a bat the roosts in the corner of our covered deck. It leaves bat droppings everywhere. I like having the bats for mosquito purposes but the terrify my wife and I really don’t want it on my deck crapping everywhere. We strung a bunch of LED lights all around and especially right where the bat roosts in hopes the light would drive it away but it didn’t work. It’s still there. A couple nights ago I saw 3 or 4 bats flying around my driveway. I’m not sure where they are all roosting.

I’ve actually toyed around with putting up a bat house but wondered if it would just draw a lot more bats until they overcrowded that bat house and came back to the porch. Not sure what to do. I have a very large yard so I could easily put the bat house out a ways. I’d love to have less mosquitos too.
My property is large too. I could set up a bat house a long ways from my house, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the effort.

Thanks, I don't see any streaks, but is there something I could do to keep them from clinging to the brick?
If you don’t want to blast your chimney, you can try oils like peppermint they aren’t supposed to like. I have a friend who had bats roosting on his house and put up a sheet of plexiglass where they would cling. A little extreme but if you see them on your chimney you could try that.

Yeah, they are sleeping there it seems. You could try spraying those areas with an irritant. Or, stick some of those anti-bird spikes in those corners.

Translation? Are you talking about the deck or something to get rid of the bats?
Sorry, I was being a dip shit—saying composite (baseball/softball) bats are better than alloy bats. We always got at least one bat in the house a year, growing up. I preferred the racquetball racket vs tennis racket because it had a larger whacking area.

As for you problem friend, I have no solid advice. I do think a bat house away from your place would be good. IMO it would be no different than any other tree in the area.

Reactions: gohawks50
If he has bats in the belfry would a bat house/habitat cause them to move from their current location, thus allowing OP to return to sanity? OP's mom didn't know the answer either, but she is a bit batty herself.

We have two bats that like to sleep in the pool umbrella. Scared the crap out of my wife one day when she opened it up and bats fell out and started flying around.

I'm going to put up a bat box to see if they move over to that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT