ADVERTISEMENT

MAC level or below depth charts..

makeachange

Rookie
Mar 1, 2015
..long season...CJB could see an injury here with unproven line...recruiting or lack of recruiting[/B] is showing it's face.
This is the most ugly depth chart I have seen since 2000.

..and without a top notch punter...long season.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Mark Stoops...better find your suitcases.

Nobody knows nothing about this season. Same stuff we heard in spring of 2013...we finished behind only MSU,OSU and Wis.

makeachange is a bit dramatic in his description but tone it down and he's right on. Of the returning depth only three, maybe four players were dominant players on the team in 2014 let alone in the conf. But there's always hope.

Two things

1) Beathard's inability to slide provides him with the unique ability to sustain injury even in the event that the line holds up.

2) Mark Stoops is your answer to the coaching situation?

We can all be positive and hope that some surprises emerge/step up on the depth chart but let's not sugarcoat it-there are some real weak spots at some positions on that depth chart.
This post was edited on 3/25 6:07 PM by 4th & 9 inches

Anyone actually think we are going to be a viable contender for the BIG when we start a 9 game conference schedule with the current recruiting??!!?!?

If recruiting and/or coaching doesn't change all of Hawkeye nation will be grabbing their ankles. Wait until we get MSU and OSU back on the schedule. PSU and Michigan will pass us with flying colors.

It will be like entering a donkey in the Kentucky Derby.

The OP is in realville and some of you can't see past your black and gold reality filter to see the truth.

Actually recruiting has been an issue for several years and yes, Mark Stoops would be the correct answer!

The poster who began this thread is correct in this being a MAC level depth chart.

How could anyone say different?

No real superstars.

Lots of walk-ons.

It's going to be a very long season.

I can't believe how much Iowa football has plummeted.

So basically after we win a handful of Big Ten games next year that will mean that a MAC level team (by some of our own "realistic fans' expectations) is better than several Big Ten teams. Guess that means the Big Ten is right on par with the MAC then by that logic, huh....

Basically what the trolls from within this fan base are saying is that if you're not one of the top 5 teams in the Big Ten then you have MAC level talent.

And I'll base this on the fact that most teams outside the top 5 in the conference could lose to MAC teams, which is where this idiotic comparison comes from in the first place.

"Durrrr Iowa lost to a MAC team so uhhh they must have MAC level talent. No way they win games in duh Big Ten...."

Honestly I do understand why other fan bases hate Iowa fans and lack respect for us. I don't like it but it's our own fault. And no I'm not talking about hate from on - field results. I'm talking about the stupid things our fan base does and says to make others lose respect. Maybe that's something you "realistic" fans don't care about anymore.

Back when Iowa was better....we all really use to care. That's a fact.

Just sayin.

I think people like to glom on to certain things. It started a few years ago when Ferentz made some comment about the MAC having great talent and that maybe we should just concentrate on getting guys like that. I can't quote him verbatim but it was something to that effect. The other thing is that in the past Ferentz would typically get us recruiting classes somehwere in that 30 - 40 range where now we are up in the 50s and they are getting worse. It also seems like we really go head-to-head with a lot of MAC schools for a large number of guys on our roster and I think that bothers people because we are a Big Ten team that has above average facilities and they expect better results. Maybe the football staff needs to be working harder on the recruiting trail rather than pulling out of places left and right such as Western Pennsylvania and Florida.

Originally posted by makeachange:
..long season...CJB could see an injury here with unproven line...recruiting or lack of recruiting[/B] is showing it's face.

ohwell.r191677.gif

There hasn't been a lack of recruiting. They have filled all scholarships. Many are dissatisfied with the results, but there certainly hasn't been a lack of it. As many have stated before, attrition, especially at RB, is the biggest detriment they have battled.

Mark Stoops can leave his suitcases alone, he's not coming here. What has he done that we'd want him?

Originally posted by BuddyRydell:

..long season...CJB could see an injury here with unproven line...recruiting
or lack of recruiting
is showing it's face.

ohwell.r191677.gif

There hasn't been a lack of recruiting. They have filled all scholarships. Many are dissatisfied with the results, but there certainly hasn't been a lack of it. As many have stated before, attrition, especially at RB, is the biggest detriment they have battled.

Mark Stoops can leave his suitcases alone, he's not coming here. What has he done that we'd want him?[/B]

DE, LB, and OTs are a bigger concern than RB. Just seems unbelievable that the cupboard could be so bare in these areas. It's a recruiting failure. Don't try to sugar coat it.

And I'll be the first person to blame Fran if he doesn't have a player other than Woodbury to play the post next year. A huge need and can't find a single player? C'mon man
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by dawgs_04:

or lack of recruiting
is showing it's face.

ohwell.r191677.gif

Mark Stoops can leave his suitcases alone, he's not coming here. What has he done that we'd want him?[/B]

DE, LB, and OTs are a bigger concern than RB. Just seems unbelievable that the cupboard could be so bare in these areas. It's a recruiting failure. Don't try to sugar coat it.

And I'll be the first person to blame Fran if he doesn't have a player other than Woodbury to play the post next year. A huge need and can't find a single player? C'mon man

The cupboard is not bare mi amigo. Let's take a look at one area:
Everyone was overly concerned and thought the cupboard was bare when they had little faith in Morris's development and that he was going to be flanked by a converted RB and a converted Safety (Hitchens, Kirksey), both of whom were unproven and considered MAC level recruits by the 'star' crowd when they arrived. Boy, they were wrong, as is the norm.
Amazing how short some peoples memories are and how easily they lose faith in the ability of this staff to develop players. These young LB's just had to play too early in their development due to 'attrition' (injuries and defections, do the research) but gained valuable experience, and I can confidently say that this group coming up (Jewell, Neimann, Bower, and Mends) are as talented as about any group prior. First, they have speed to burn. Jewell is faster than Morris and Angerer and arguably better at the same point in their development. Neimann is faster than Greenway and Edds and has their size and appears to have their instincts (always helps when your father is a DC). If he stays healthy and continues to improve his 'reads' and technique, he is going to be special. Bank it. I'm not 'sold' on Bower yet (may have been out of position last year, they have moved him, and not quite ready to perform consistantly, but at worst he provides experienced depth), but Mends is about a carbon copy of Hitchens, size and speed wise. Plus a healthy Perry may start in front of one of these young men. The LB cupboard is not 'bare' people and the sky is not falling. I'm excited about this group. Listen, watch, learn and enjoy mes' amis.
The 'live by the ratings' brethren look at our recruits every year and complain and appear to spend inordinate amounts of time freting over these matters. It's appears to be all they know. It seems terribly sad that this sect can be so miserable about young athletes before they ever step onto the field. Crazy?

or lack of recruiting
is showing it's face.

ohwell.r191677.gif

Everyone was overly concerned and thought the cupboard was bare when they had little faith in Morris's development and that he was going to be flanked by a converted RB and a converted Safety (Hitchens, Kirksey), both of whom were unproven and considered MAC level recruits by the 'star' crowd when they arrived. Boy, they were wrong, as is the norm.
Amazing how short some peoples memories are and how easily they lose faith in the ability of this staff to develop players. These young LB's just had to play too early in their development due to 'attrition' (injuries and defections, do the research) but gained valuable experience, and I can confidently say that this group coming up (Jewell, Neimann, Bower, and Mends) are as talented as about any group prior. First, they have speed to burn. Jewell is faster than Morris and Angerer and arguably better at the same point in their development. Neimann is faster than Greenway and Edds and has their size and appears to have their instincts (always helps when your father is a DC). If he stays healthy and continues to improve his 'reads' and technique, he is going to be special. Bank it. I'm not 'sold' on Bower yet (may have been out of position last year, they have moved him, and not quite ready to perform consistantly, but at worst he provides experienced depth), but Mends is about a carbon copy of Hitchens, size and speed wise. Plus a healthy Perry may start in front of one of these young men. The LB cupboard is not 'bare' people and the sky is not falling. I'm excited about this group. Listen, watch, learn and enjoy mes' amis.
The 'live by the ratings' brethren look at our recruits every year and complain and appear to spend inordinate amounts of time freting over these matters. It's appears to be all they know. It seems terribly sad that this sect can be so miserable about young athletes before they ever step onto the field. Crazy?
To play devils advocate on the LB who I do think will be good eventually just go thrown to the wolves too early. Which means we have had a lot of misses the last couple of years after we brought in Morris, Kirksey and Hitchens at the position and it really bite Iowa in the butt last year. Either they weren't as good and passed on depth chart (ex cole fischer) or left the team like Spearman. I don't think some people don't think these guys can't develop but it is the fact that they are 2 were starting as freshamn and other played some last year as a true freshman as a backup LB. Plus to who we beat out to get the players Bower (walk on), Jewell (last minute offer over UNI). Niemann (NIU).

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:

or lack of recruiting
is showing it's face.

ohwell.r191677.gif

To play devils advocate on the LB who I do think will be good eventually just go thrown to the wolves too early. Which means we have had a lot of misses the last couple of years after we brought in Morris, Kirksey and Hitchens at the position and it really bite Iowa in the butt last year. Either they weren't as good and passed on depth chart (ex cole fischer) or left the team like Spearman. I don't think some people don't think these guys can't develop but it is the fact that they are 2 were starting as freshamn and other played some last year as a true freshman as a backup LB. Plus to who we beat out to get the players Bower (walk on), Jewell (last minute offer over UNI). Niemann (NIU).
I don't know what you mean by 'misses'? Who did they recruit that just wasn't good, so never played? That's why I suggested that people do research.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
" Harlan Ellison".
You are correct that it 'bit us in the butt', as you eloquently put it, that these kids had to play, but it wasn't because they 'passed' anyone on the depth chart because they were better. There wasn't anyone on the depth chart, because of injuries, defections, and people having to move due to injuries etc.. Gray left. Collins left. Derby left. Poggi was never healthy and left. Taylor left. Fischer has never been 'healthy', Kenny moved to fullback because of injuries, Spearman had some 'issues' and if you remember almost left the team before the season started last year. Meier and Spears (who's never been healthy) had to move to DE because of injuries there. Do you think if think if the coaches could have anticipated these circumstances, they might have targeted more LB's? Why do some think these people are stupid? Sure they would have, but unfortunately that's not the way things work. You are not given that 'foresight'. Sometimes there is just 'bad luck' and the Hawks have certainly had their share with RB's and LB's over the last 5 years.
I don't concern myself with recruiting ratings or who else offered. Niether do college coaches for the most part, once again, do the research. Prior to 2002, fans didn't either, because you didn't have access to that information, and the fans seemed a lot happier back then.

On phone so not going to quote giant wall of text. The fact these kids came in as freshmen and were the best LBs on the team is a nightmare. Attrition, injuries, etc. do not ruin 3/22 positions on the team for four years straight worth of classes. Recruiting is a yearly task. Classes are dynamic and can react to attrition and injuries. The moving to DE is a weak excuse. Just means there was a recruiting failure at DE.

It should be super easy to sell to young men that there's currently nobody on the depth chart at LB. Instead, the Captain landed a roster full of fall back recruits. These are good kids and that's all Sally cares about. Wouldn't want any scars on her administration after DJK/A-ROB.

it is hard to understand there are still people with brains in their heads that will defend this head coach and the state of this program.

Illinois State smacking us around opening day should awaken some of the braindead zombies out of their slumber but I fear not even that will change some of their minds.

to some there is no depth kirk can sink this program down to that they would want a change and that is pathetic. Hayden would "punch you in the mouth" if he saw a guy smiling about moral victories but yet here we are. we almost beat isu last year and they had one of the worst defenses in college football. wake up people.

Originally posted by Phenomenally Frantastic:
it is hard to understand there are still people with brains in their heads that will defend this head coach and the state of this program.

Illinois State smacking us around opening day should awaken some of the braindead zombies out of their slumber but I fear not even that will change some of their minds.

to some there is no depth kirk can sink this program down to that they would want a change and that is pathetic. Hayden would "punch you in the mouth" if he saw a guy smiling about moral victories but yet here we are. we almost beat isu last year and they had one of the worst defenses in college football. wake up people.
I wasn't defending or making excuses for anyone. Someone misstated the state of the program, specifically the LB's, and I was just clarifying the situation. I personally think the LB and DE recruiting slipped for a few years and it has been the most glaring area to me. I am not going to pretend to know why. Unless you're on the inside, you are not going to know.
But, always be careful what you wish for.
And I can almost bet you, the grass is not greener on the other side.
A lttle over the top about Hayden and I don't know who is smiling about moral victories.

What's hard to understand is that anyone that shows a shred of optimism is immediately labeled a KF apologist or a lover of mediocrity.

So let's spend the rest of the offseason competing to see who can bash the coaching staff and our players the most. Then we can spend the season doing it all over again. Then we can hire a new coach that won't have the last name Stoops, and we can bash Barta some more. Plus, we can still blame Sally for a few years after she leaves, right? Of course, because tailgating sucks. Everything is horrible.

What's the point? Talk about your braindead zombies.

Hawk_4shur is it too much to ask for a coach that doesn't constantly poo poo and sand bag his own program and give it's fan bases a list of reasons why Iowa will never be "X" brand program?

i dont think that is asking too much.

KF doesnt believe in this program, why should we?

it's well past time for new blood in Iowa City. Someone who thinks and states openly that Iowa football should be drilling ISU every year and spends each day working toward that goal. Not a coach who tells us how good the other team is after we lose to inferior teams (2-10 minnesota, central
michigan, etc). That Minnesota blowout sure was a wake up call for me but hey some enjoy watching loveable losers. I'm sure there are plenty of Cubs fans in the Iowa fan base.

Hawk_4shur is it too much to ask for a coach that doesn't constantly poo poo and sand bag his own program and give it's fan bases a list of reasons why Iowa will never be "X" brand program?

it's well past time for new blood in Iowa City. Someone who thinks and states openly that Iowa football should be drilling ISU every year and spends each day working toward that goal. Not a coach who tells us how good the other team is after we lose to inferior teams (2-10 minnesota, central
michigan, etc). That Minnesota blowout sure was a wake up call for me but hey some enjoy watching loveable losers. I'm sure there are plenty of Cubs fans in the Iowa fan base.
You sound like an un-lovable loser:)

Did I say I didn't want a new coach? I'm totally ready for a change, and it can't come to soon.

In the meantime, is it ok to cheer for the team? Is it ok to hope they wins some games and their players do well? Is it too much to ask that SOMETHING about Iowa football could be fun?

What am I saying? Of course not. Because if I were to say, "I'm excited to see CJ run the show next year and not have to look over his shoulder", I will almost certainly be labeled someone with a loser mentality that is perfectly comfortable with the status quo.

So, please, continue your quest to convince all fans that everything sucks.

Oh, and Have a Nice Day!
smile.r191677.gif

I wonder why someone of you are even fans anymore. You simply piss and moan about everything Hawkeye FB. Some of you must lead miserable lives.

The first team to break through for Kirk was built with the type of recruit you are complaining about. Why don't you take a wait and see approach. Perhaps after a couple of games or another loss to ISU you can bitch. Right now no one really can what is going to happen.

Originally posted by Hawk_4shur:
Did I say I didn't want a new coach? I'm totally ready for a change, and it can't come to soon.

In the meantime, is it ok to cheer for the team? Is it ok to hope they wins some games and their players do well? Is it too much to ask that SOMETHING about Iowa football could be fun?

What am I saying? Of course not. Because if I were to say, "I'm excited to see CJ run the show next year and not have to look over his shoulder", I will almost certainly be labeled someone with a loser mentality that is perfectly comfortable with the status quo.

Oh, and Have a Nice Day!
smile.r191677.gif
Well, Kilroy will label you as a "JR hater" if you say anything good about CJ.

Originally posted by TankHawk:

Originally posted by Hawk_4shur:

Oh, and Have a Nice Day!
smile.r191677.gif
Well, Kilroy will label you as a "JR hater" if you say anything good about CJ.
I don't believe kilroy, 2222, whatever he goes by, is on here anymore. Don't provoke him or even evoke him:)
Just let it go.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:

Originally posted by Walleye70:
Mac level- that means we moved up a notch?
Yeah, we were winning Big Ten games with Sun Belt level recruits. Now we're upgrading. All part of the process.
smokin.r191677.gif
I found that fairly humerous. What is the next level in the process, do tell? Big East level recruits or ACC?

Scary fun fact about Iowa's current 2-Deeps: 20/44 players in the Iowa 2-deep held no other Division 1 offers besides ISU and Iowa.

Plewa
Cox
Vandenburg
Stone
HKC
Boettger
Myers
Croston
Reynolds
Keppy
Simmons
Meier
Hesse
Bazata
Terlouw
Bower
Mends
Jewell
Perry
Snyder

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:
Scary fun fact about Iowa's current 2-Deeps: 20/44 players in the Iowa 2-deep held no other Division 1 offers besides ISU and Iowa.

Plewa
Cox
Vandenburg
Stone
HKC
Boettger
Myers
Croston
Reynolds
Keppy
Simmons
Meier
Hesse
Bazata
Terlouw
Bower
Mends
Jewell
Perry
Snyder
Won't that really chap nebby's butt, when they get whooped by a bunch of kids from the island of misfit toys!

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Plewa
Cox
Vandenburg
Stone
HKC
Boettger
Myers
Croston
Reynolds
Keppy
Simmons
Meier
Hesse
Bazata
Terlouw
Bower
Mends
Jewell
Perry
Snyder
But somebody above actually thinks this is better than when KF "broke through", Lol.. I take it that guy has no clue, though.. I mean guys like Russell,Steinbach,Roth,Lewis(Jermelle and George), Lightfoot,Sobieski,Cole,Hodge,Hinkel,Brown,Chandler,Grieving,Hodges,Clauss,Robinson, etc... Any idiot that thinks these guys only had MAC level/Less than D-1 offers, obviously has zero clue what they are talking about....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT