Making the Case

Who Will Win the West?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thirteenandtwo

HR All-State
Oct 3, 2016
Freakin, Iowa
back in 2015, I was making the case for Iowa winning the West...
(I was banned by many people that year, Remember F6n6 ?.. that was me)
and as per usual, nobody listened... but lets recap.

in 2014 Iowa was 4-4 in the Big Ten
Wisconsin was 7-1

this seems like a huge margin of difference... however...

with 2 weeks remaining, Iowa was 4-2 and Wisconsin was 5-1.
the Hawkeyes and Badgers played in a very close game with the Hawkeyes losing 24-26.

had the Hawkeyes won that game, and then went on to beat Nebraska, the Hawkeyes would have won the West in 2014.
(they lost to Nebraska 34-37 in OT)
----
in 2015, of course, Iowa went Undefeated.
----
now.... in 2016... Wisconsin goes 7-2 and wins the West.
Iowa was 6-3.

had Iowa beaten Wisconsin last season, the Hawkeyes would have won the West.

the defining game every year seems to be that game against Wisconsin.
if Iowa beats Wisconsin, they Win the West.
if Wisconsin beats Iowa, the Badgers win the West.
(remember 2015, had Wisconsin beaten Iowa, they would have won the West)

so you sweep aside all the BS of this and that... and you focus on that one game... you will see this is how close Iowa is to winning the West and going back to the Big Ten Championship Game.

set aside all the Negative Nelly's who predicted 6-6 in 2015 and are now too afraid to admit it.
they are liars... don't listen to them.
mark them void those who say they are concerned about this and that.
they never mention the fact that every other team in the universe has question marks.
they are liars... don't listen to them.
and beware of they who will say Iowa just doesn't have the athletes to compete.. or who say Iowa isn't flashy... or who say Iowa isn't capable of making big plays on Offense... or they who say Iowa is slow on Defense.
they are liars.... don't listen to them.

yah.. Penn State is the Conference's Best team... and we play Penn State to open up the Season.

and yah Ohio State comes to Kinnick Stadium and will enjoy the Pink Locker Rooms... (probably a little more than they should, if you know what I mean)

and we play at Michigan State... the team that beat us in the 2015 Big Ten Championship Game.

but those 3 games will not determine who wins the West.
it will come down, as always, to who wins between Iowa and Wisconsin.

so I ask you... knowing these simple facts that I have shown you here.

who, in your mind, will Win the West this coming season?
or at the very least... who will you be rooting for?

I picked Wiscy also. They have a lot on defense back. Defense wins chmpionships.

In my opinion, Iowa's D will be least as good if not better than the Badgers this season. Pass rushing should be one of the best ever under Parker and multi-year starters at all LB positions return, including an All-American in the middle. If the replacement at FS pans out and there are no major injuries along the D-Line, this unit is easily top 3 in the B10.

Last edited:
In my opinion, Iowa's D will be least as good if not better than the Badgers this season. Pass rushing should be one of the best ever under Parker and multi-year starters at all LB positions return, including an All-American in the middle. If the replacement at FS pans out and there are no major injuries along the D-Line, this unit is easily top 3 in the B10.
I mean, I really like the young guys we have filling in, but to not even mention losing both starting stud CBs (including one of the best ones ever at Iowa) just seems a little odd. We're going to have some growing pains back there I think. Our secondary might be pretty rough early in the season.

I mean, I really like the young guys we have filling in, but to not even mention losing both starting stud CBs (including one of the best ones ever at Iowa) just seems a little odd. We're going to have some growing pains back there I think. Our secondary might be pretty rough early in the season.

Replacing King will be difficult but Jackson and Ojemudia are very good corners IMO and both got significant playing time last year so they will not be working from scratch.

Rugamba started several games and performed well after Mabin went down. At times I thought Mabin was unfairly criticized but Rugamba could be considered an upgrade at CB.

The big question mark in the secondary is whether Brandon Snyder's replacement steps in and performs. Hooker and Gervase look capable. TBD. Find that piece and Iowa will be just fine on defense IMO.

Reactions: DixieHawkeye
Northwestern should be a tough game for any opponent next year. If they don't win it, the Cats will spoil it for a couple teams this season.

that is a false assumption... I was clearly banned for being a Homer...
and ridiculed for being a Homer as well...

I got a few more stories I could tell.
I remember your username. It isn't that you were a Homer. There are lots of Homer's on here. And there are lots of haters. And not just from our fan base. And most of those people never get banned. I can state with almost absolute surety that you were banned because of your crazy Obsession of attacking people and constantly polluting the board

The DT position is the ONLY question mark in my mind about Iowa's Defense. If Iowa can find a little depth and avoid injury at those 2 spots...Iowa will have a great Defense. We have 6 games we should win leaving 2 home games against the B1Gs best and 4 away vs teams more equal to Iowa. My hopes are for a home split, we beat Nebraska and MSU and split NW/Wis. 3-3 is more realistic but I it's probably the Wiscy winner who goes.

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
Our best OL we have had in years (probably going to better in the future), featured back w/ solid depth behind, TE's who are threat in passing game, veteran LB and Safety's, DE's who can generate pass rush without a blitz, these are all the ingredients Iowa has had success with in the past- not mention 1st year starting QB's have had great success under KOK...I also think this staff is the best we have had since early 2000's. I picked Iowa in this poll

Just remember while OP lives off the 12-0 2015 season they also asked " when was the last time N.D. won a conference championship ? " smh

Reactions: Johnsoda123
I remember your username. It isn't that you were a Homer. There are lots of Homer's on here. And there are lots of haters. And not just from our fan base. And most of those people never get banned. I can state with almost absolute surety that you were banned because of your crazy Obsession of attacking people and constantly polluting the board

now that right there is an absolute lie.
I was ridiculed for being a Homer... and you are lying to suggest I was not banned for being a Hawkeye Homer.

if we went to a court of Law... I could prove my case beyond a reasonable doubt.

but you, the Hypocrite... attack me and falsely accuse me of attacking others.

I can only assume you have a deep seeded hatred for Hawkeye Homers.
why else would you lie and make false accusations?

Our best OL we have had in years (probably going to better in the future), featured back w/ solid depth behind, TE's who are threat in passing game, veteran LB and Safety's, DE's who can generate pass rush without a blitz, these are all the ingredients Iowa has had success with in the past- not mention 1st year starting QB's have had great success under KOK...I also think this staff is the best we have had since early 2000's. I picked Iowa in this poll
I think you're right on a lot of this stuff, but I did notice a few things about the bolded.
1) How many pass catches do our other TEs have besides Fant? Doesn't Pekar only have a catch or two for his career? He (or others) might develop to be threats, but it's hard to say anyone besides Fant is proven (and that might be a stretch, although he looked very promising).
2) Gervase looked like a stud in the spring game, but with no starts and limited PT on special teams its hard to day he would be considered "veteran" at this point.
3) I really like our DEs with Hesse and the Nelsons, but I'm not sure any of those guys have proven they are guys who can consistently get a pass rush. They had 6/5.5/6 sacks among them last year, which is serviceable, but nothing that sticks out.

Reactions: And1Hawk
We lose our best QB in maybe a decade and possibly our best CB ever BUT bring back the best O line / RB combo I've seen here.

Will Brian F take advantage?

Iowa is probably going to be out of the race by the time the Wisconsin game is played. We play PSU, @ MSU, Ill., @ NW, Minn., OSU and then Wisconsin. I see a minimum of 2 losses and that's with rose colored glasses on. More like 3 losses. Wisconsin's schedule is like Iowa's 2015 schedule. Very doable. This is a year where the Iowa-Wisky game won't be worth much from our end.

Iowa is probably going to be out of the race by the time the Wisconsin game is played. We play PSU, @ MSU, Ill., @ NW, Minn., OSU and then Wisconsin. I see a minimum of 2 losses and that's with rose colored glasses on. More like 3 losses. Wisconsin's schedule is like Iowa's 2015 schedule. Very doable. This is a year where the Iowa-Wisky game won't be worth much from our end.
How dare you, being realistic!!!

Reactions: naturalmwa
We know the OL can run block all day but has been extremely suspect / horrible in pass pro the last 2 seasons. Wadley has not proven he can carry the full extent of the mail over an entire season if that's the route they go. What if he gets banged up? We are breaking in a new QB. We have 1 proven WR that has injured his foot twice now.

The D lost 2 of its best 3 players but is going to be better? The starting LBs outside of Jewell are very, very suspect. No DT depth.

We have the most difficult schedule in years.

I'm not seeing great season?

If the DE's can apply a lot of pressure the DBs will be fine it's that simple IMO.When Ott went down the most upset person in Iowa was King.Big difference between 5 to 6 seconds of covering versus a couple seconds and QB throwing it up for grabs

Reactions: HoustonHawkeye
We know the OL can run block all day but has been extremely suspect / horrible in pass pro the last 2 seasons. Wadley has not proven he can carry the full extent of the mail over an entire season if that's the route they go. What if he gets banged up? We are breaking in a new QB. We have 1 proven WR that has injured his foot twice now.

The D lost 2 of its best 3 players but is going to be better? The starting LBs outside of Jewell are very, very suspect. No DT depth.

We have the most difficult schedule in years.

I'm not seeing great season?
Wrong. Niemann is a very good LB. He had some nagging injuries last year. He's a 6th-7th round draft choice.

Reactions: Rocket98
The DT position is the ONLY question mark in my mind about Iowa's Defense. If Iowa can find a little depth and avoid injury at those 2 spots...Iowa will have a great Defense. We have 6 games we should win leaving 2 home games against the B1Gs best and 4 away vs teams more equal to Iowa. My hopes are for a home split, we beat Nebraska and MSU and split NW/Wis. 3-3 is more realistic but I it's probably the Wiscy winner who goes.
I'm still worried about one of the outside linebacker spots and safety

Wrong. Niemann is a very good LB. He had some nagging injuries last year. He's a 6th-7th round draft choice.

Maybe injury related but he played no where near the level he had the prior year. So it remains to be seen if he will have a strong senior year or similar to the junior year. That's a question mark in my book. Many predicting this to be a stellar defense replacing 2 of the best 3 players and some key question marks.

I'm more worried about Bower getting caught in traffic and pinned out of position...something we've seen plenty of.

I think you're right on a lot of this stuff, but I did notice a few things about the bolded.
1) How many pass catches do our other TEs have besides Fant? Doesn't Pekar only have a catch or two for his career? He (or others) might develop to be threats, but it's hard to say anyone besides Fant is proven (and that might be a stretch, although he looked very promising).
2) Gervase looked like a stud in the spring game, but with no starts and limited PT on special teams its hard to day he would be considered "veteran" at this point.
3) I really like our DEs with Hesse and the Nelsons, but I'm not sure any of those guys have proven they are guys who can consistently get a pass rush. They had 6/5.5/6 sacks among them last year, which is serviceable, but nothing that sticks out.
Touche, however:
1) I was more projecting Fant, Hockenson, and Byers as having the ability to stretch the field with athleticism and good size- Those attributes correlate to having the ability to do what NE does with their TE's (BF coached TE's there so it makes sense)
2) I forgot that Snyder went down, however; Gervase has been in the program and will do a fine job at being able to identify formations and such to get us in the right position.
3) That is nearly 20 sacks returning on the edge for a group that was young and/or undersized last year. Although none of those stats jump out as being crazy good individually, however; the combination of the 3 is more than serviceable and you could also include Eppy on that list along with Goldsen (sp?) and Simon to provide depth. I think if these guys were to play more snaps their #'s would increase individually but production as a whole would go down.
None the less, I have no problem with your critiques because they are valid-just providing my logic. Also should mention I am generally pretty optimistic this time of year so that plays a part into it as well. I do truly believe we could have a pretty darn good season this year and have even better feeling about the future, however; I could also see us being in the 7-8 win season but do not see anything lower than that. I am going to project 9+ win season this year

Assuming Nathan Stanley is the starting QB, he will be the first true sophomore to start for Iowa at QB since Drew Tate in 2004.

Iowa went 7-1 in conference play and won a share of the Big 10 championship that year. Lol. Just saying...

An excellent point...and one the naysayers would do well to consider.

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
MSU won ONE b1g game last year. IL is IL! MN? Cmon now :).
The other 3 are tougher, but I sure like to think we can win one!
Even if IA has 2 losses and wiscy zero...they still have MI the week after.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT