ADVERTISEMENT

Man “accidentally” shoots teen looking for place to take homecoming pics

Feb 9, 2013
To get it out of the way, it’s generally not a good idea to jump fences.

That said, pulling your gun then losing control of it? The kids were back in their vehicle outside the gate.
And the guy is a town council member.

brent-metz-jeffco-sheriff.jpg

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/conifer-teen-shot-face-seeking-permission-photos/
A Colorado teenager told deputies that he was shot in the face outside a house by the boyfriend of the homeowner after trying to ask for permission to take photos at the property, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

The 17-year-old was taken to the hospital where he remains Wednesday evening, but according to a news release from the sheriff's office, he told deputies he and a friend went to a property in the 23000 block of Pleasant Park Road around 4:15 p.m. on Tuesday.

They jumped over the fence and tried to locate the homeowner to ask if they could take high school homecoming photos at their property. When no one answered, they walked around the property trying to find the homeowner or a resident. When they couldn't, they assumed no one was home and returned to their car, the sheriff's office said.

The homeowner called the police, saying the teens were trespassing. She then called her boyfriend, 38-year-old Brent Metz.

The woman was not home at the time and saw the boys on her home surveillance camera, according to the sheriff's office.

As the teens were back in their car, they began writing a note to the homeowner with their request to take photos at the property. That's when Metz arrived, got out of his truck and fired one round from a handgun into the teen's car through the windshield, striking one in the face, according to the sheriff's office. Investigators recovered the note, appearing to confirm the teens' story.

When deputies arrived, they said the uninjured boy was putting pressure on his friend's face with a t-shirt.

According to an arrest affidavit, Metz declined to speak to responding deputies, instead asking for an attorney. A deputy asked if there was a gun present for safety and Metz said it was in his truck.

The 17-year-old told deputies he didn't think Metz shot him intentionally. The teen "heard the driver (Brent) say 'oh s**t, my gun went off,'" according to the arrest report. The teen also told deputies that Metz tried to help after he fired the round, but the other boy, who's 15 and a childhood friend of the alleged victim, pushed him away and "asked why he shot his friend."

Metz was arrested and faces charges of first-degree assault, two counts of felony menacing, illegal discharge of a firearm and two counts of reckless endangerment.

He was booked into the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office on a $5,000 bond and has been assigned a public defender. He's due back in court on Monday.

Neither of the teens nor the homeowner were immediately identified by officials.

Metz is a Mountain View Town Council member, according to the town's website and confirmed by the sheriff's office. He was sworn in last year in the town of just over 500 residents. His term is set to expire in 2027.

Mountain View's mayor declined to comment, referring questions to the town administrator, who did not immediately respond.

Last edited:
This type of 'accident', arguments turned shooting, ease of suicide are all just costs of our gun freedoms and the result of how prevalent guns are throughout society. Sure, mass shootings - particularly at schools - despite the normalization still get the most coverage. But the story in the OP is just another fairly uniquely American - among our peers - way of life.

This type of 'accident', arguments turned shooting, ease of suicide are all just costs of our gun freedoms and the result of how prevalent guns are throughout society. Sure, mass shootings - particularly at schools - despite the normalization still get the most coverage. But the story in the OP is just another fairly uniquely American - among our peers - way of life.

I don't know why someone would want to confront a suspicious person who is not actively threatening another person's life.

Like if you saw someone on your property through a camera like that, I get calling the police. Your boyfriend running over there to personally confront them with a pointed gun??? That makes no sense.

Your thread title is wrong. Nothing "accidental" about it.

As the teens were back in their car, they began writing a note to the homeowner with their request to take photos at the property. That's when Metz arrived, got out of his truck and fired one round from a handgun into the teen's car through the windshield, striking one in the face, according to the sheriff's office. Investigators recovered the note, appearing to confirm the teens' story.
I don't care what else happened, he pulled a gun on people who were not menacing him in any way. He needs to do a long stretch in jail and lose his right to own a firearm for life.

Your thread title is wrong. Nothing "accidental" about it.

I don't care what else happened, he pulled a gun on people who were not menacing him in any way. He needs to do a long stretch in jail and lose his right to own a firearm for life.
Point taken. I had intended to put it in quotes, but got distracted trying to post the text and pics on this crappy interface

Reactions: tarheelbybirth
To get it out of the way, it’s generally not a good idea to jump fences.

That said, pulling your gun then losing control of it? The kids were back in their vehicle outside the gate.
And the guy is a town council member.

brent-metz-jeffco-sheriff.jpg

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/conifer-teen-shot-face-seeking-permission-photos/
A Colorado teenager told deputies that he was shot in the face outside a house by the boyfriend of the homeowner after trying to ask for permission to take photos at the property, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

The 17-year-old was taken to the hospital where he remains Wednesday evening, but according to a news release from the sheriff's office, he told deputies he and a friend went to a property in the 23000 block of Pleasant Park Road around 4:15 p.m. on Tuesday.

They jumped over the fence and tried to locate the homeowner to ask if they could take high school homecoming photos at their property. When no one answered, they walked around the property trying to find the homeowner or a resident. When they couldn't, they assumed no one was home and returned to their car, the sheriff's office said.

The homeowner called the police, saying the teens were trespassing. She then called her boyfriend, 38-year-old Brent Metz.

The woman was not home at the time and saw the boys on her home surveillance camera, according to the sheriff's office.

When deputies arrived, they said the uninjured boy was putting pressure on his friend's face with a t-shirt.

According to an arrest affidavit, Metz declined to speak to responding deputies, instead asking for an attorney. A deputy asked if there was a gun present for safety and Metz said it was in his truck.

The 17-year-old told deputies he didn't think Metz shot him intentionally. The teen "heard the driver (Brent) say 'oh s**t, my gun went off,'" according to the arrest report. The teen also told deputies that Metz tried to help after he fired the round, but the other boy, who's 15 and a childhood friend of the alleged victim, pushed him away and "asked why he shot his friend."

Metz was arrested and faces charges of first-degree assault, two counts of felony menacing, illegal discharge of a firearm and two counts of reckless endangerment.

He was booked into the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office on a $5,000 bond and has been assigned a public defender. He's due back in court on Monday.

Neither of the teens nor the homeowner were immediately identified by officials.

Metz is a Mountain View Town Council member, according to the town's website and confirmed by the sheriff's office. He was sworn in last year in the town of just over 500 residents. His term is set to expire in 2027.

Mountain View's mayor declined to comment, referring questions to the town administrator, who did not immediately respond.
It's like a real life unfunny version the Cartridge Family:

simpsons-homer.gif

I continue to be amazed by Americans’ willingness to pull out guns and act recklessly stupid with them. The fascination with guns and the perception that they need them for safety is one of the more bizarre things about this country.
His life is forever changed. Should’ve called the cops instead of trying to impress his girlfriend.

Reactions: Jedhawk77
I don't know why someone would want to confront a suspicious person who is not actively threatening another person's life.

Like if you saw someone on your property through a camera like that, I get calling the police. Your boyfriend running over there to personally confront them with a pointed gun??? That makes no sense.
I think a lot of these folks get sucked into these small online world. They are convinced that the world is super dangerous and that they need to be hyper vigilant to survive. When you view the world through that lens then you interpret even benign moments as a threat.

• Wow
Reactions: PoopandBoogers
high % life is forever changed.
Probably not. He'll likely get probation unless he lives in high % Trump country - if that's the case, he might not even be indicted. In Maine, hunters deliberately shot a woman in her backyard, mistaking her white mittens for deer tails. No charges. In Louisiana, a man deliberately shot a teen Japanese exchange student dressed as John Travolta when the kid mistakenly knocked on his door thinking it was where the costume party was. No charges. Children kill themselves or other children when they get to a parent's unsecured gun. No charges. Yes, it's slowly changing but this guy getting off with a slap on the wrist is still the most likely outcome. I hope I'm wrong.

• Sad
Reactions: mattymoknows
I think a lot of these folks get sucked into these small online world. They are convinced that the world is super dangerous and that they need to be hyper vigilant to survive. When you view the world through that lens then you interpret even benign moments as a threat.

Well it's not even that. If you go out there and confront them and they are out to hurt you, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

C'mon people. The only thing that can stop teens looking to take some homecoming pics is a good guy with a gun. Y'all act like they didn't have it coming. Merica! Love it or leave it baby! Love it or leave it!

Last edited:
Are you referring to the shooting of Karen Wood in 1988?
I assume so. I didn't look it up.

And now that I have I see the first grand jury failed to charge him but a second did...then a jury of his "peers" found him not guilty.

And people at a Bangor youth soccer game f'n cheered when the verdict was announced over a loudspeaker.

Last edited:
I used to go fishing with a guy that owned 10 guns including the infamous Desert Eagle.

He said he would only pull his gun as a last, last resort against another human. He said even if he was being robbed, he would just give the robber the money instead of shooting him.

He said even if someone broke into his house at 3 A.M., he wouldn't automatically shoot him. He'd probably just shoot his ceiling to scare him off.

He said you're more likely to shoot an innocent person like a family friend or lost neighbor.

CSB.

I assume so. I didn't look it up.

And now that I have I see the first grand jury failed to charge him but a second did...then a jury of his "peers" found him not guilty.

And people at a Bangor youth soccer game f'n cheered when the verdict was announced over a loudspeaker.
If so then your facts are wrong in both cases. You stated that no charges were filed against either the Maine hunter or the Louisiana man who shot the Japanese foreign exchange student.

Both shooters were charged with manslaughter, both stood trial, and both were acquitted by a jury.

In the case of the Maine shooting, state law was subsequently changed to make hunters more accountable for ensuring that what they are aiming at is actually a deer before shooting.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I used to go fishing with a guy that owned 10 guns including the infamous Desert Eagle.

He said he would only pull his gun as a last, last resort against another human. He said even if he was being robbed, he would just give the robber the money instead of shooting him.

He said even if someone broke into his house at 3 A.M., he wouldn't automatically shoot him. He'd probably just shoot his ceiling to scare him off.

He said you're more likely to shoot an innocent person like a family friend or lost neighbor.

CSB.
And yet he had 10 guns in his home? No offense, but your friend sounds like kind of a dummy.

Reactions: BrianNole777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT