ADVERTISEMENT

Man “accidentally” shoots teen looking for place to take homecoming pics

If so then your facts are wrong in both cases. You stated that no charges were filed against either the Maine hunter or the Louisiana man who shot the Japanese foreign exchange student.

Both shooters were charged with manslaughter, both stood trial, and both were acquitted by a jury.

In the case of the Maine shooting, state law was subsequently changed to make hunters more accountable for ensuring that what they are aiming at is actually a deer before shooting.
Hell. I say if it walks like a deer, smells like a deer, and yells "Don't shoot!" like a deer. that deer is gittin' both barrels. Git 'er done.

It's like a real life unfunny version the Cartridge Family:

simpsons-homer.gif

Underrated episode.

Moe giving the talk about how you can turn a gun into four guns cracks me up everytime.

Underrated episode.

Moe giving the talk about how you can turn a gun into four guns cracks me up everytime.
One of the greatest.

Gun shop owner: Um, sorry there is a 3-day waiting period to buy a gun.
Homer: 3 days??? But I'm angry now.*

* edited to note my recollection was a bit off:

Clerk: [Homer grabs for his gun, but the cashier holds onto it] Sorry, the law requires a five-day waiting period. We've got to run a background check
Homer: Five days? But I'm mad now!
[the cashier pulls the gun away from him]
Homer: I'd kill you if I had my gun.
Clerk: Yeah, well, you don't.

Last edited:
I continue to be amazed by Americans’ willingness to pull out guns and act recklessly stupid with them. The fascination with guns and the perception that they need them for safety is one of the more bizarre things about this country.
The fascination is not that hard to understand. Have you ever watched a movie or tv show? Our “entertainment” industry has been dominated for decades by stories of a hero overcoming adversity, threats, etc with guns. Guns=agency. You don’t have a gun, you’re either a victim or an extra.

My question is... Did he aim and yell some instructions.... Then "accidentally" fired?

Or was he fumbling around trying to get his gun out and it went off?

Still incredibly stupid... If the gun really went off "accidentally"... As he clearly had the safety off and operated the gun like Barney Fife

If so then your facts are wrong in both cases. You stated that no charges were filed against either the Maine hunter or the Louisiana man who shot the Japanese foreign exchange student.

Both shooters were charged with manslaughter, both stood trial, and both were acquitted by a jury.

In the case of the Maine shooting, state law was subsequently changed to make hunters more accountable for ensuring that what they are aiming at is actually a deer before shooting.
LOL...here comes TJ being TJ. I already corrected the first one. Guess you can't read what you copied in your post. I'm fine with the second being wrong as well. Neither of them faced any legal consequences for their actions. And state law being changed does nothing for the Wood family. The man who killed their wife and mother was cheered in his hometown when he was acquitted. Cheered by people who blamed Karen Wood for going out in her own backyard with mittens on.

Feel better?

My question is... Did he aim and yell some instructions.... Then "accidentally" fired?

Or was he fumbling around trying to get his gun out and it went off?

Still incredibly stupid... If the gun really went off "accidentally"... As he clearly had the safety off and operated the gun like Barney Fife
I think they're erring on the side of accidental, which is why he isn't charged with attempted murder.

The man was clearly at fault, but why would you jump the fence of a property with a house like this?
^^ Agreed...and...then walk around the perimeter of the place "looking for someone". Despite the apparent note, which could be a clever "cover" story, the trespassers are also in the wrong here.

That being said, going by what has been reported...there is no justification for a gun to be pointed anywhere in the direction of the youths in this circumstance. Snap a pic of the plate, call authorities and do not escalate, etc.

I don't understand what you're getting at about the "cover" story. This is in the article.

"Investigators recovered the note, appearing to confirm the teens' story."
I saw that in the story, I am suggesting that they could have written a note to "cover" their true motivations in case they were confronted/caught. They may have been casing the place.

In any event, the mere presence of such a note does not absolve them of trespassing. It seems peculiar to me that they jumped a fence and then walked around the perimeter when no one answered...which is just not a good idea whether or not someone there has a gun.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I saw that in the story, I am suggesting that they could have written a note to "cover" their true motivations in case they were confronted/caught. They may have been casing the place.

In any event, the mere presence of such a note does not absolve them of trespassing. It seems peculiar to me that they jumped a fence and then walked around the perimeter when no one answered...which is just not a good idea whether or not someone there has a gun.
I never said it absolved them of anything. I just find it very funny how suspicious you think it all is, that's all :)

so colorado was deserving of the accolades it received a couple weeks ago in the thread about which state would be most difficult to invade.

To get it out of the way, it’s generally not a good idea to jump fences.

That said, pulling your gun then losing control of it? The kids were back in their vehicle outside the gate.
And the guy is a town council member.

brent-metz-jeffco-sheriff.jpg

https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/conifer-teen-shot-face-seeking-permission-photos/
A Colorado teenager told deputies that he was shot in the face outside a house by the boyfriend of the homeowner after trying to ask for permission to take photos at the property, according to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

The 17-year-old was taken to the hospital where he remains Wednesday evening, but according to a news release from the sheriff's office, he told deputies he and a friend went to a property in the 23000 block of Pleasant Park Road around 4:15 p.m. on Tuesday.

They jumped over the fence and tried to locate the homeowner to ask if they could take high school homecoming photos at their property. When no one answered, they walked around the property trying to find the homeowner or a resident. When they couldn't, they assumed no one was home and returned to their car, the sheriff's office said.

The homeowner called the police, saying the teens were trespassing. She then called her boyfriend, 38-year-old Brent Metz.

The woman was not home at the time and saw the boys on her home surveillance camera, according to the sheriff's office.

As the teens were back in their car, they began writing a note to the homeowner with their request to take photos at the property. That's when Metz arrived, got out of his truck and fired one round from a handgun into the teen's car through the windshield, striking one in the face, according to the sheriff's office. Investigators recovered the note, appearing to confirm the teens' story.

When deputies arrived, they said the uninjured boy was putting pressure on his friend's face with a t-shirt.

According to an arrest affidavit, Metz declined to speak to responding deputies, instead asking for an attorney. A deputy asked if there was a gun present for safety and Metz said it was in his truck.

The 17-year-old told deputies he didn't think Metz shot him intentionally. The teen "heard the driver (Brent) say 'oh s**t, my gun went off,'" according to the arrest report. The teen also told deputies that Metz tried to help after he fired the round, but the other boy, who's 15 and a childhood friend of the alleged victim, pushed him away and "asked why he shot his friend."

Metz was arrested and faces charges of first-degree assault, two counts of felony menacing, illegal discharge of a firearm and two counts of reckless endangerment.

He was booked into the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office on a $5,000 bond and has been assigned a public defender. He's due back in court on Monday.

Neither of the teens nor the homeowner were immediately identified by officials.

Metz is a Mountain View Town Council member, according to the town's website and confirmed by the sheriff's office. He was sworn in last year in the town of just over 500 residents. His term is set to expire in 2027.

Mountain View's mayor declined to comment, referring questions to the town administrator, who did not immediately respond.
I can't even fathom being such a dickless, insecure coward that I would feel the need to fire upon a group of teenagers hanging out near my property that are doing absolutely nothing threatening whatsoever.

That is definitely the face of a loser who has been waiting his whole life for the excuse to shoot someone.

Last edited:
Your thread title is wrong. Nothing "accidental" about it.

I don't care what else happened, he pulled a gun on people who were not menacing him in any way. He needs to do a long stretch in jail and lose his right to own a firearm for life.
Add to that him being shot in the face with that same gun, and I think justice would be served.

I used to go fishing with a guy that owned 10 guns including the infamous Desert Eagle.

He said he would only pull his gun as a last, last resort against another human. He said even if he was being robbed, he would just give the robber the money instead of shooting him.

He said even if someone broke into his house at 3 A.M., he wouldn't automatically shoot him. He'd probably just shoot his ceiling to scare him off.

He said you're more likely to shoot an innocent person like a family friend or lost neighbor.

CSB.
My guess is that 90% of the shooters in cases like this had similar hypothetical ideals.....before the slightest excuse to pull their guns came up and they lost their minds....

The fascination is not that hard to understand. Have you ever watched a movie or tv show? Our “entertainment” industry has been dominated for decades by stories of a hero overcoming adversity, threats, etc with guns. Guns=agency. You don’t have a gun, you’re either a victim or an extra.
I get the gun culture, and I’m even cool with it. I don’t have any guns, but I dont care if someone wants to have a house with a lot of guns in it. Some people, by circumstance, have been conditioned to think a true home invasion is common.

But I think it is absolutely wild that we have all these idiots getting into gun play far away from houses, often in public. Taking obviously harmless situations or minor infractions and turning them potentially fatal.

I wouldn't pull a gun on anyone unless I fully intend to use it. The circumstances in this story don't come even close to precipitating such an action. They should throw the book at this guy, especially when you consider that those teens were sitting in a vehicle and no longer trespassing. This guy's nuts and a coward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT